LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok SO I went and bought the Mopar Cat Back Exhaust system for my 06 Charger R/T and its made by Borla, its the 112 system. Meets my needs, not too loud, little bassier than stock, but I HATE the tips that come with it. Looks like Chinese Restaraunt Soy Sauce Bowls. YUCK. lol

So I hit Borlas website and LOVE the Angle Tip Intercooled ones.

Ok $90 more I think I can swing it, Im ready to order and notice they ask 2 1/2" or 3" so I went to dealer to check the I.D. and O.D. guess what?? They are WELDED ON. So Im like WTF?? I cant change the tips??

Has anyone changed their Borla tips? Can I just get those ugly ones cut off and weld the new ones on?

·
I play with guns.
927 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get em cut off and put new tips.

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats good to know. I thought I could bbut wasnt sure since im not sure how much pipe is on the resonator they are connected to. They shouldn't weld these on in my opinion. They should leave that option for the installation.

·
I play with guns.
927 Posts
Well if you still have resonators they might not have enough room to cut the tips and weld them on. I was going to do that but there was no way they could do it unless I wanted most of the tip sticking out. Tip was about 9". So I just had them install Borla kit. w/

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Official Borla reply:

We weld tha tips on because this is how we built the system is you want you can cut our tips off and change them but you will void any warranty on this product.

The tips on the system can not be replaced and we will not change them while the system is being made.

So I asked him about switching a Borla tip with ANOTHER Borla tip:

When you remove the tips this will be considerd modification to the system and under the warranty this is not allowed.

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rice bowl tips arent that bad, I would rather have the warranty. lol

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MadCharger said:
I actually prefer the rice bowl tips.....
And keep in mind, the Mopar system is similar to the 112's, but they are slightly different....
What are the differences?? Other than the mufflers having Mopar stamped on it but the tips having Borla stamped on them, I looked pretty closely and didn't see any difference.

I don't mind the rice bowl tips after seeing them on the car. with the rear air diffuser i have on, you really cant see them that much anyway.

·
fool in search of wisdom
5,863 Posts
Allevon said:
What are the differences?? Other than the mufflers having Mopar stamped on it but the tips having Borla stamped on them, I looked pretty closely and didn't see any difference.

I don't mind the rice bowl tips after seeing them on the car. with the rear air diffuser i have on, you really cant see them that much anyway.
Here is what Ted at Mopar Super Center explained to me when I asked:

The Mopar Cat-Back system is made by Borla, but there is a slight difference in the system. When Mopar contract a company such as Borla to make a product for them, Mopar maintain the exclusive rights to the system design. They require that if the company wished to sell the product, some changes are required.

He also stated that from what he was told by some customers, the Mopar system was quieter than the 112's, with less drone inside the cabin.

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MadCharger said:
Here is what Ted at Mopar Super Center explained to me when I asked:

The Mopar Cat-Back system is made by Borla, but there is a slight difference in the system. When Mopar contract a company such as Borla to make a product for them, Mopar maintain the exclusive rights to the system design. They require that if the company wished to sell the product, some changes are required.

He also stated that from what he was told by some customers, the Mopar system was quieter than the 112's, with less drone inside the cabin.
Hey thanks for posting that.

From my opinion though, the Mopar cat back i put on is pretty much a Borla 112 and as for the volume, its 3 times louder than stock. I mean decible wise its loud from 100-2000 rpm, growls until up to desired speed and with MDS kicking in, gets pretty quiet and slightly more than stock with a slightly louder hum from rear.

I cant really say exactly what drone is, but if its a HUM from the rear that definitely exists.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.