·
vajazzle it!....;)
15,798 Posts
PM sent to both of ya!

·
Premium Member
5,278 Posts
Are these in stock?
Is there any plans for another group buy?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The purpose of that blue hose on the airhammer is to provide fresh air into the crankcase. The flow goes from the airhammer, through the blue hose, and into the crankcase, providing clean air to the crankcase. Then the dirty crankcase air goes out the PCV valve, through the catch can if you have one, and into the intake manifold, where the dirty crankcase air gets
burned up in the cylinders. If you do not have a catch can, the dirty/oily
air can coat the inside of the intake manifold. This is a closed emissions loop, which came into being in the early 1960's.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The purpose of that blue hose on the airhammer is to provide fresh air into the crankcase. The flow goes from the airhammer, through the blue hose, and into the crankcase, providing clean air to the crankcase. Then the dirty crankcase air goes out the PCV valve, through the catch can if you have one, and into the intake manifold, where the dirty crankcase air gets
burned up in the cylinders. If you do not have a catch can, the dirty/oily
air can coat the inside of the intake manifold. This is a closed emissions loop, which came into being in the early 1960's.
when the throttle body sucks air into the engine, the blue hose is being sucked on as well. the point of the blue hose in the picture listed above is for a vaccum of some sort.... meaning the air is being pulled out the crank case and into the intake itself....

fresh air doesnt really enter the crank case, however from heat/oil fumes/and blow by, positive crankcase ventilation is needed to keep pressure off the internals of an engine.:thumbs_u: very good thing.

the vaccum in this picture comes in the form of the blue hose and the intake helps to pull out the fumes. the minute you hit the throttle, the air flows one direction. with the PCV unburned fumes are then recirculated back into the intake charge to be burned...however some of the fumes will condense by time it reaches a cooler intake charge, hence the residue found inside the intake, the TB, or the intake runners themselves.

pretty much every car i;ve seen has this,although not blue..its the same process.

but the flow of air will pull from the blue hose and into the intake, not the other direction unless there is some sort of vaccum behind the black cap that can overpower what the intake can suck in.:beerchug:

also check behind that black cap, if its the oil fill, which it looks like, it might be yet another vent for the crankcase...

·
Premium Member
29,132 Posts
when the throttle body sucks air into the engine, the blue hose is being sucked on as well. the point of the blue hose in the picture listed above is for a vaccum of some sort.... meaning the air is being pulled out the crank case and into the intake itself....

fresh air doesnt really enter the crank case, however from heat/oil fumes/and blow by, positive crankcase ventilation is needed to keep pressure off the internals of an engine.:thumbs_u: very good thing.

the vaccum in this picture comes in the form of the blue hose and the intake helps to pull out the fumes. the minute you hit the throttle, the air flows one direction. with the PCV unburned fumes are then recirculated back into the intake charge to be burned...however some of the fumes will condense by time it reaches a cooler intake charge, hence the residue found inside the intake, the TB, or the intake runners themselves.

pretty much every car i;ve seen has this,although not blue..its the same process.

but the flow of air will pull from the blue hose and into the intake, not the other direction unless there is some sort of vaccum behind the black cap that can overpower what the intake can suck in.:beerchug:
Or you can do this..Notice the little red filter??

·
LX Modder
1,059 Posts
Awesome!

OOOHH! HEY! Little Red filters for everyone! WHere do we buy them? Size needed? Thanks!

Oh, and I love my BT Catch Can too! Works! Get it!

I vote for equal rights on engines! They all have the right to make power without drinking oil! :)

·
Registered
539 Posts

true...you can do that... but if whatever is in the filler tube is supposed to be vented AND sucked out via vaccum.... a filter isnt doing much of a job besides keeping stuff from getting in.

breather filters are an option, a good option, although not the most efficient option;)

granted it vents directly into the atmosphere through the filter, however they designed it, was factored on having a vaccum to it. performance gains....none really, but over time MAY have the potential to more oil contamination through lack of vaccum, according to ed peters from the dodge design and racing team. (howell automotive open house special guest speaker from mopar racing) :)

·
Premium Member
29,132 Posts
true...you can do that... but if whatever is in the filler tube is supposed to be vented AND sucked out via vaccum.... a filter isnt doing much of a job besides keeping stuff from getting in.

breather filters are an option, a good option, although not the most efficient option;)

granted it vents directly into the atmosphere through the filter, however they designed it, was factored on having a vaccum to it. performance gains....none really, but over time MAY have the potential to more oil contamination through lack of vaccum, according to ed peters from the dodge design and racing team. (howell automotive open house special guest speaker from mopar racing) :)
Your right no performance gain,but cleans up the engine bay..I was told from Neil Loughlin"Powertrain Performance Engineer for Daimler Chrysler
that it was for emissions.And there was no adverse effect.We dont have emissions here in Florida,"Thank Goodness"so I wasnt worried about it :)

·
Premium Member
29,132 Posts
OOOHH! HEY! Little Red filters for everyone! WHere do we buy them? Size needed? Thanks!

Oh, and I love my BT Catch Can too! Works! Get it!

I vote for equal rights on engines! They all have the right to make power without drinking oil! :)
Got it at my local Pep-boys "Auto part store"about 10.00.There is only one size.When you see it you will know what it is..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Correction-

There is a reason the hose on the oil filler neck is down stream of the air filter on this pic and on oem filter boxes.
At idle and part throttle settings where intake manifold vacuum is high, the hose on the pcv side is sucking air from the crankcase, this in turn requires an air inlet source that needs to be filtered.

Normal air flow on the oil filler neck hose is reverse of what you show. The only time flow will be in the direction you show is at WOT when the pcv shuts and crankcase pressure must go somewhere.

To make it simple the hose on the drivers side is an "inlet" vent to the crankcase while the hose on the drivers side is the "exit" from that vent on its way to the intake.

when the throttle body sucks air into the engine, the blue hose is being sucked on as well. the point of the blue hose in the picture listed above is for a vacuum of some sort.... meaning the air is being pulled out the crank case and into the intake itself....

Here is a diagram that helps to understand:

Blow-by vapors in the crankcase are drawn into the pcv hose "red arrows" on the left via vacuum from the intake manifold.
To keep from pulling a vacuum on the crankcase the breather hose is added in such a way the air entering the crankcase has been filtered by the air filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey all, newbie modder has some questions about the Billet Catch Can:

Has anyone installed or seen results of putting a catch can on a 3.5L HO engine? Anyone with a 3.5 checked their throttle to see if this is a necessary or useful component? Thanks fellas.

Rusty

·
Hemi Registry #724
971 Posts
Just a couple a questions. With this catch can installed will my engine cover still fit.
Also Instead of using the brass fittings in the catch can will the thread accept a Russell fitting so I can use braided line?

·
Hemi Registry #724
971 Posts
well you guys did it you convinced me to purchase a catch can. Can't wait until it arrives so I can install it. Thanks for helping me spend more money on my car. It's never ending.:rock:

·
Hemi Registry #724
971 Posts
Well lets just say I checked my catch can for results after having it insatelled for approx. 1 week. I was amazed to say the least What I found was about a tablespoon or so of milky sludge that would of otherwise been in my intake Pics will be posted soon.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Well lets just say I checked my catch can for results after having it insatelled for approx. 1 week. I was amazed to say the least What I found was about a tablespoon or so of milky sludge that would of otherwise been in my intake Pics will be posted soon.
milky sludge does not sound good. Sound like water and oil mixing together.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I will cut and past them here too since the poster did give permission for us to do so

Does the catch can keep the throttle body clean?
I'll let you be the judge.

Here is my throttle body after 16,000 miles without a catch can:

Here it is after I cleaned it with throttle body and intake cleaner:

Here is what my catch can collected in 1,000 miles on the highway:

Finally, here is my throttle body 2,000+ miles after I first cleaned it (w/ catch can installed):

I have seen a couple posts on different threads asking for pictures of a cleaned throttle body and then pictures again after driving for a while with the catch can. This is on a 5.7L engine. I know I may have the wrong thread here.

BT, you can use these images wherever you want if you want to. The alternative mount for my catch can (due to the ramair intake) worked great. Thanks.

Mods soon to come: New rear tires, earplugs.

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...l75/?start=all

41 - 60 of 94 Posts