LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
thats my sippy cup!
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as some of you know i bought the first catch can.
I drove 500 miles home and here are the pics.

again thanks billet tech ....great bunch of people they even installed it...

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
Jesus. By the looks of that... I've got almost 12,000 miles on the clock... so 24 times what's in there. Holy crap. I need one, now!

·
thats my sippy cup!
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well when i did the head and cam swap ....i had alot of oil in the runners of the head....so thats why i bought this asap...

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
You and me both, I just hit 25,000. Yikes!
Heh, at 60,000, I've probably sucked and burned an extra quart by now!

·
Hell yeah it's got a HEMI!
248 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics, I'm SOLD! I was on the fence, but this put me over the top! I placed my order with Heidi at BT today for one in black chrome. Glad I saw this as I'm about to have my first oil change. Thanks again mexi!

·
LX fever is back!
2,535 Posts
You know the funny thing about catch cans....I drive around town for a week, maybe 200 miles and I have about a teaspoon of oil in it.....I drove 1600 miles round trip to GA for the shindig and there is less than that in there now??? That billet tech piece is an excellent looking piece.

·
24,673 Posts
Well, it's official, I'm on the list!

·
thats my sippy cup!
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know the funny thing about catch cans....I drive around town for a week, maybe 200 miles and I have about a teaspoon of oil in it.....I drove 1600 miles round trip to GA for the shindig and there is less than that in there now??? That billet tech piece is an excellent looking piece.
driving around town im sure has more wots!!! than the 1600 miles ..no?lol

it was good to meet you man i had fun ....that exhaust sounds mean...

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
Forgive my ingnorance, but what exactly does this do?

Txs:blam:
This provides a place for oil vapor from the crankcase to deposit it's load of oil molecules on a substrate prior to being sucked into the intake manifold. The oil droplets all get together and make a puddle and stay in the can rather than getting burned.

In motors with 'extra' goodies inside, like big cams and heads, apparently there is more of a need for this concept than a 'stock' motor. Although it looks like a stock 5.7 and 6.1 might benefit as well..

Mike

·
24,673 Posts
so no need for this with a 2.7?
Pull off your intake and feel the inside of your throttle body/manifold. If you get any oil on your fingers, then it couldn't hurt to have one.

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
hell i just cleaned the throttle plate and as far in as i could reach with my fingers, this past weekend while cleaning my drop in filter...

the back off the plate was black and oil residue was past the plate in the manifold , like i said as far as i could reach, , sprayed some cleaner in there and cleaned up the throttle plate..

·
~~~~~~~~~
962 Posts
I just placed my order.

About the oil getting on the throttle plate.

Will the catch can really reduce the oil on the throttle plate?

The oil through the PCV tube is coming out further back from the throttle plate.

Does the oil existing the PCV hose take a right turn and get on the throttle plate?
The intake air flow would seem to prevent the oil, from the PCV hose, from reaching the throttle plate.

·
~~~~~~~~~
962 Posts
The oil is getting into the intake from the PCV hose that connects to the intake just before the filter. If you pull your air filter and look inside the tube you should see oil inside the intake.
OK, maybe I get it. Or just making it up as I go.:blam:
The oil first exists the PCV valve and through the first hose (now where the catch can is located) and into the intake manifold,
the oil then passes through intake manifold and enters a second PCV hose on the other side of the manifold,
and then into the air intake tube which passes by the throttle plate?

·
thats my sippy cup!
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no it does not .... no oil is in the one that goes to the airbox

1 - 20 of 94 Posts