LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LX Newbie
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone new to the world of Magnums, i've had mine for 2 months now (05 SXT AWD). I drive between Phoenix and San Diego, on a regular basis, is there a way to get better fuel mileage? I'm averageing about 20 with a/c on at 80m.p.h. any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,457 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

You may want to try this. Pull fuse 11 located in the engine bay fuse box for a couple minutes. This will reset the ECU and then drive the car easy. The adaptive learning function will re-learn your driving habits and make adjustments accordingly. Same applies for performance driving. Pull the fuse and then drive like a bat-outa-hell and have some fun.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
The best way to save gas is to slow down... you will probably average 25 mpg on that trip if you only drive 70mph. thats a 25% increase in fuel mileage... Might even be worth your time if you can remove a stop at a gas station in the middle....

·
Premium Member
20,457 Posts
lafrad said:
The best way to save gas is to slow down... you will probably average 25 mpg on that trip if you only drive 70mph. thats a 25% increase in fuel mileage... Might even be worth your time if you can remove a stop at a gas station in the middle....
Dude, I get 23-24 at 80 all the time. When I run between 80-100 for long distance I still get 19-20. And I'm not into the millage thing, I don't hesitate to get on it on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
25 * 18 gallons = 450 miles (make the trip in one tank)

20 * 18 gallons = 360 miles (need to stop for gas once.)

All that time saved by driving 10 mph (400 miles @ 80 mph = 5 hours, 400 miles @ 70 mph = 5.7 hours)... 45 minutes saved by driving faster... 5-15 minute fill up (depending on what you do)... 30 minutes longer to drive 70 mph, but you save money... (400 / 20 = 20 gallons @ 80 mph ~ $60, 400 / 25 = 16 gallons @ 70 mph ~ $48)
so you save 30 minutes, but those 30 minutes cost you $12 in fuel...
Whats your time worth to ya?

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
you all have me beat.
I have improved my average up to 16mpg from 14mph with ported/polished heads driving heavier-footed than I was before. Funny how performance mods make ya do that.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
I bought my Hemi for the MDS... I don't know about you guys... but is all about saving gas!

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
My RT boringly gets 22.5 whatever I do. Mostly 45-60 mph a few stops a couple 80 mph blasts 22.5mpg. 70-75 mph turnpike 24-25 mpg. Me thinks your SXT would be happier at 70 mph. My Hemi Ram's mileage is highest between 55-60 mph. Wind resistance hurts it more than the Magnums. The bigger motors are more efficient at high speed. Thats why the SRT8 folks get over 20mpg on the pike, that big motor just a purrin'.:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Hemi31 said:
Got 22mpg average for 1200 miles.
You ain't driving it hard enough...

·
My maggie did me proud
647 Posts
I got 25 from SD to Las Vegas @ 70-75
BUT I got 19.8 from LV to SD @ 80-85

I love to go fast but it honestly makes more sense to take a little extra time, go a bit slower and save some dough

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I am getting around 22 mpg or so still.. I drive heavy footed and love acceleration... I figure 5.7l engine with 7.5lbs of boost and still get 22mpg, that's pretty good... I can't complain.

·
Look at that wagon she is draggin'!
2,428 Posts
Great now I don't feel so bad. I get 15 driving mostly like a grandma around town and doing avg. 70, 24mpg. Yay! My car isn't the biggest pig on the highway! On a serious note there is no cost per gallon that will take the smile off my face after a nice WOT K+N/exhaust blast! Adrenaline everytime! Hard to find enough real estate near me (other then the trooper ridden I95) to fully extend her legs. Oh well. Just get a MDS light (I should talk) and choose your battles wisely on the pike.

oldschool

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
LOL - you guys know you're not exactly comparing "apples to apples" with these numbers, right? Posting raw MPG numbers from SRTs, Supercharged and /or heavily-modded R/Ts, and AWD SXTs doesn't exactly make for a "fair" comparison... :wink:

My observations have shown me...

1) that no one mod that I have done (see list below) has had any negative effect on my average MPG (other than to make me want to drive more aggressively). And though I cannot say with any certainty which mods might have improved my fuel economy by X.X MPG, I can tell you that somewhere in that list of mods done over the past 18 months and 27K miles is a calculated 3-4 MPG increase that I have picked up along the way. Granted, some of that may be attributed to break-in, but I am convinced that breathing inprovement mods do good things for fuel economy.

2) driving slower on the highway significantly increases my mileage. I have seen varying opinions on this, but I have driven through tankfuls of gas over the same roads with CC set at 65 MPH and 80 MPH, and I have seen that 15 MPH difference worth about 2 MPG (again, calculated - not EVIC).

·
Title? What title?
142 Posts
25mpg from Sacramento to Anaheim (can you say Disney Land?? I knew you could :)) with family and enough clothes and food for a small army @~80. I drive an RT with the KandN intake and SuperChips which was set with torque manage off and 91 octane.

By the way that includes the grape vine.....
for you non-CA peoples, I5 between Sacramento and LA is ~400 miles and most of it is straight and level (the chalk line). However, the grape vine is a section the climes 3500+ ft into the Tehachapi Mnts and then down the other side into the LA toilet basin.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
inferna said:
you guys are making my head spin, don't we have hemi's for a reason?
You guys do, the guy who started the thread doesn't. He has an AWD SXT. Your hemi RWD mileage is really irrelevant...

·
'05 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD
1,078 Posts
i noticed a nice increase in mileage as the car got broken in. i get about 22mpg pushing it near 80, used to get 18. give it some time, i think you'll see an increase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.