LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I dont have the NAV system in my 300. I'm thinking of getting one of the portable GPS units.

Any one have experience with them, and any recommendations as to which one is the best functioning. (Money not an issue if it's worth it.)

Thanks
Chasb

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
I'm interested in this too. My wife just bought a new Jeep Liberty without a Nav unit, but she needs one bad:)

The DCX one that goes in the dash of the Liberty has a tiny screen and it not very handy. Bluetooth capability for both talking and checking traffic conditions / detours would be a nice feature too.

Thanks in advance!

Don

·
High Power Junkie
16,628 Posts
There's good news and bad news on the cost of that Garmin (I've been looking very seriously at it also; great unit):

Good news: There's a $50 rebate available for it starting today (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B000CSOXTO/ref=dp_rebates_1/002-5920050-3504842?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics)

Bad news: If you want true turn by turn auto routing ability, you'll need to spend another $100 on Mapsource's City Select software. And since you plan to use it in the car you might just want to get the $150 bundle deal and get the mounts at the same time (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000196C3E/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/002-5920050-3504842?ie=UTF8)

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
I'm thinking something a bit bigger with voice:)

Now if I decide to take up Elk hunting again... I've always liked Garmins products and my old GPS III could sure use a replacement!

Don

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Then she'd need a mount for her laptop too I guess. :(
CoolVanilla said:
There's good news and bad news on the cost of that Garmin (I've been looking very seriously at it also; great unit):

Good news: There's a $50 rebate available for it starting today (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B000CSOXTO/ref=dp_rebates_1/002-5920050-3504842?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics)

Bad news: If you want true turn by turn auto routing ability, you'll need to spend another $100 on Mapsource's City Select software. And since you plan to use it in the car you might just want to get the $150 bundle deal and get the mounts at the same time (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000196C3E/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/002-5920050-3504842?ie=UTF8)

·
High Power Junkie
16,628 Posts
No no; no PC needed once the maps are on the device.

You use the software to select the area's of the country you wish to download to the device (with the expandable memory, you'll be able to fit most all of the country). You then download the maps to the device, which are then used by the device to provide turn by turn. Once it has the maps, its completely stand alone; Garmin just doesn't include said maps by default.

·
Demented and sad but social.
141 Posts
I bought the Garmin street pilot c330 nice unit no bluetooth for 479.
look into the c550 little bit more but has bluetooth
both have touch screens that are 3.5 diaganol

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Thanks Vannilla, so it has speakers too then? Or is it just turn by turn on the screen?

Thanks sxtowner, do you know what bluetooth functions the c550 has? I've seen the Street Pilot's but have no experience using them... downside for her is the Liberty has almost no dash and doesn't the c550 sit on a sandbag deal on the dash?

Thanks,

Don

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
I've used several makes/models all in my travels (except Sony and pioneer) many rental cars and emergency vehicles...

I have a definite preference for Garmin. - Easiest user interfaces - very logical.

The NuVi model is great for an al in one, in car solution. It's tiny, but powerful.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
We bought a Magellan Roadmate700 (current model is 800 I believe) in early 2005 for about $1k at CostCo (in Calif.). I know... I'm from WV so how'd we buy it in Calif., and why did we spend so much. Well, wife was out there for a family funeral, and another family in the family has one and recommended.

Anyway... the Roadmate system is Harddrive based (20Gig I think); has a 3-4 in. touch screen, buttons (including zoom) and voiced directions; runs off car power thru an umbilical to the cig. lighter, etc.; has auto dim and night-time modes; can mount above dash to the windshield via an optional suction arm; can be updated via USB from the website. Can find intersection, Point of Interest, just about ANY address in the US, very good address book capacity, and beat the pants off the OEM Nav in our rental 300 Touring last summer! We have a NAV face-off so to speak. With the update I purchased this year, it even speaks the street and highway names now... not just "approaching left turn" etc.

It definitely is a top-end system and has proven well worth the price.

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Thanks Tim,

I have used Magellan's stuff before in Hertz rental cars and had it send me to a couple seedy neighborhoods looking for Catholic Churches... only to find that there were none in those neighborhoods...

That may not be there fault, perhaps someone is a Catholic Church to the local yellow pages or where ever they gleem their addresss data;)

Nice review though, I'll keep that one in mind.

Don

·
Demented and sad but social.
141 Posts
I have mine suction cupped to the window next to the rear view, going to relocate bought a bracket that bolts in by the radio gotta move the ipod though.
as far as bluetooth it will sync with your phone store address books, notify you of incoming calls COOL hit answer or ignore on the screen,and also works as a handsfree. I like the built in battery to bring in the house for trip planning or grab it and take it in another vehicle self powered.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys

Questions

Does the Garmin bluetooth work well (voice, etc)?

Does the Magellan Roadmate have bluetooth?

·
Who needs a truck I got a magnum!
261 Posts
navus

I have the Navus ordered for my magnum. I also have the in dash nav. My reasoning is that if one doesn't find it the other will. They make the navus for almost all DC vehicles. Also they are made by garmin. have you thought about the stock system in dash? It seems pretty inexpensive on ebay.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I ended up going with the Alpine Blackbird, as a portable unit.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B100

So far it seems pretty decent. What sold me on the product is that there is a dock you can purchase (hide in glove box or such), that the blackbird is placed in, and it will actually feed navigation and it's features to my new Alpine deck.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

So, when I am in my car I have the full functionality of the navigation and blackbird, controlled through my deck. And, as I do lots of travelling with my job, I can also take the blackbird with me and connect it in my rental cars.

I am having this all installed today - so I am very anxious to see how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.