LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***SEE POST #17 FOR POST-CAM DYNO RESULTS***

Decided to head out and have some fun today and have a baseline dyno done on my AWD Magnum RT. Dyno was done at ESP performance in Sterling MA on a Mustang Dyno and peak values are corrected.

Mods are: Shorty Headers, High Flow Cats, Catback Exhaust, aFe CAI, 85mm ported throttle body, SLP 25% underdrive pulley, 180* thermostat and Diablosport Predator tuner. All pulls were done in ESP Dyno mod (ABS/BAS/ESP all turned off).

I did two baseline pulls with a Level 1 tune from HHP, best one with AFR's shown below.

Results sheet for HHP Level 1 tune shown below.

Now here's a CMR tune from Johan at Diablosport with AFR's shown below.

Results sheet for Johan's CMR tune shown below.

Now here's a comparison of the two curves.

I'm pretty pleased with my baseline results on the Mustang dyno and it being an AWD. :mrgreen:

Final Numbers with Johan's tune yielded a little better hp/trq/AFR results.

298 AWHP, 329 AWtrq and it looks like the AFR's could be leaned at WOT in the 3800-4800 rpm ranges. I'll take away a little fuel in those RPM ranges, as I know I have a little added.

Videos were taken and I will post them on youtube later.
Now I can't wait to see how she fairs after I get my sidewinder cam installed! :racing:

Yeah haw! :beerchug:

· Pants up! Don't loot!
7,829 Posts
Great looking numbers! I know the tune Johan did for my car made a huge difference and I hadn't even had the Airhammer on yet!

· Must Go Faster!!!!!
1,424 Posts
I have been interested for a while to make the trip down to ESP performance to get some tuning done ever since I had my Sidewinder cam installed. How was the overall experience you had with the shop down there?

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great looking numbers! I know the tune Johan did for my car made a huge difference and I hadn't even had the Airhammer on yet!
Yeah..."In Johan we trust!!!" :thumbs_u:

do they have tuning capability ?
I don't think so, but I'm not sure. He says he can, but I don't think he has CMR software. I think he sends alot of stuff via laptop over to another tuner and therefore it may take time. I'm really not sure completely though...sorry.

I have been interested for a while to make the trip down to ESP performance to get some tuning done ever since I had my Sidewinder cam installed. How was the overall experience you had with the shop down there?
It's a nice ride. Once you get outside of Worcester...it's smooth sailing! Right off the exit of I-190 too! Experience was great....they gave me 5 pulls all together. 1st one didn't count and he did two pulls on my HHP tune and two pulls on Johan's tune.

I'm happy.......for now!:stir:

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

· Whippled Coyote
6,909 Posts
That's awesome Kevin ... your car is up about 30 hp and 30 ft-lbs over what mine did on the same dyno (at the time, mine was running the canned 93CAI tune, with Mopar CAI and JBA cat-back) ... those guys are great to work with .... I so wish that they were closer ... lol

· Itching for the Maggie
281 Posts
Definitely make sure you get with Johan to fix that AFR, one its all over the place and two its way too rich all across the range. Would be nice to see the results once you actually have an AFR "CURVE" opposed to the massive dip and then heartbeat afterwards.

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's awesome Kevin ... your car is up about 30 hp and 30 ft-lbs over what mine did on the same dyno (at the time, mine was running the canned 93CAI tune, with Mopar CAI and JBA cat-back) ... those guys are great to work with .... I so wish that they were closer ... lol
Thanks Gabe. I am very happy w/ the results. I was hoping for at least 285hp/315trq. So the Mag definetly met and exceeded my expectations. Heck some RWD's don't even put down that good of numbers! Seeing as how I pretty much have all the basic bolt ons that can be done, I would have been a little dissapointed I think had I come in like 275/300.

It took me about 45 minutes to get to ESP from where I live....how far away are you?

Definitely make sure you get with Johan to fix that AFR, one its all over the place and two its way too rich all across the range. Would be nice to see the results once you actually have an AFR "CURVE" opposed to the massive dip and then heartbeat afterwards.
I all ready removed some fuel in the 3800-4800rpm range. I had 2.5% fuel added. I brought it down to 1% fuel in that range at WOT, so that should lean out those AFR's a little bit in that range. As for the heartbeat effect your seeing....it's just the scale of the AFR. Some AFR's you'll see the scale is much greater so the curve is essentiall a horizontal line across the graph. This scale actually shows the inundations better. From 4800rpm up, the dyno tech actually said the AFR's are pretty good and leave them where they are.

Doesn't really matter anyway....this pig is getting a bump stick in a month...tune time all over again!:stir:

· Whippled Coyote
6,909 Posts
Thanks Gabe. I am very happy w/ the results. I was hoping for at least 285hp/315trq. So the Mag definetly met and exceeded my expectations. Heck some RWD's don't even put down that good of numbers! Seeing as how I pretty much have all the basic bolt ons that can be done, I would have been a little dissapointed I think had I come in like 275/300.

It took me about 45 minutes to get to ESP from where I live....how far away are you?
I'm also about 45 minutes from them ... I just leave from North of Boston ;)

Can't wait to see what "cammed" numbers your car puts down :rock: :rock:

And then, what 1/4 numbers :mrgreen:

· Itching for the Maggie
281 Posts
Kevin, what wideband setup was being used do you know (not sure if it were yours or the Mustang Dyno's)?
With the cam, then sorting the AFR curve out some more, then playing with some advance you should be sitting very healthy powerwise. For NA I like to tune to 12.2-5 peak torque then lean it out some to 13.1-3 for peak horsepower, trying to keep a nice gentle AFR throughout the transition from pk tq to hp, then richen it up in case it over revs. GL and will keep an eye out on the post cam figures.

Charlie

· But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun!
6,806 Posts
Looking forward to the after numbers! :kinglock:

· Whippled Coyote
6,909 Posts
Kevin, what wideband setup was being used do you know (not sure if it were yours or the Mustang Dyno's)?
With the cam, then sorting the AFR curve out some more, then playing with some advance you should be sitting very healthy powerwise. For NA I like to tune to 12.2-5 peak torque then lean it out some to 13.1-3 for peak horsepower, trying to keep a nice gentle AFR throughout the transition from pk tq to hp, then richen it up in case it over revs. GL and will keep an eye out on the post cam figures.

Charlie
As far as I know, air/fuel ratio is a number "x" parts of air as compared to 1 part of fuel, not 5 or 3 ... your numbers have me all confused ...

The Hemi engines like an A/F ratio of 12.5 for safest/best overall combo, for a naturally-aspirated engine.

Boosted applications need it richer, something in the 11.xx:1 range I believe ...

· First AWD LX in the 12's N/A
8,064 Posts
As far as I know, air/fuel ratio is a number "x" parts of air as compared to 1 part of fuel, not 5 or 3 ... your numbers have me all confused ...

The Hemi engines like an A/F ratio of 12.5 for safest/best overall combo, for a naturally-aspirated engine.

Boosted applications need it richer, something in the 11.xx:1 range I believe ...
I'm fairly certain he means between 12.2:1 and 12.5:1 and his later numbers were between 13.1:1 and 13.3:1, which is too lean if you ask me............. but you didn't :wink:

· Itching for the Maggie
281 Posts
I'm fairly certain he means between 12.2:1 and 12.5:1 and his later numbers were between 13.1:1 and 13.3:1, which is too lean if you ask me............. but you didn't :wink:
You are correct. And FWIW not too lean unless your FI or N2O. For NA that combo will net the most usable power under the curve. Sure you can get more peak but not safely. It doesn't matter what the brand engine is, it is a internal combustion piston engine (rotary engines a bit different as are cosworth design).

Kevin, correct on the 12.5'ish for maximum safe peak torque, however by leaning out your AFR slightly you will transition your power curve higher up and quicker for peak horsepower. Rather than making +5rwhp at peak, you can make +7 at peak, but the entire area under the curve will increase more than the before dyno. This my friend is what puts you first place, the area under the curve.

Once fueling is done, sort back through the timing, one or two degrees of advance may also net you more power under the curve. Just make sure your tuning for no knock retard, and once advance is set, take another look at your AFR (retarding timing may richen up the AFR, and advancing may lean it out).

Again, best of luck with it and will be looking for the progress on the cam.

Charlie

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info Charlie!

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Stump-Puller Strikes Again! Post Cam Dyno Results

Took the Mag in for another run on the dyno today to see how my cam install in September went. Also throughout the month, I've been going back & forth with Johan to sort out the tune. I felt it was time today to take a ride up to ESP again in Sterling Ma. Two Dyno pulls on the Mustang Dyno were run:

Pull 1: 343.5 hp and 356.4 torque

Pull 2: 337.9 hp and 358.4 torque

Again, the car was the AWD 5.7L with full bolt ons and a sidewinder cam. Predator set to Dyno Mode.

Here's the Dyno with Johan's tune

See the vidoes below!

Also, since the first two dyno pulls were pretty similar, Dave at ESP asked if I wanted to do a 1/4 mile plug on my 3rd pull...sure! :racing:

I am stoked! :kinglock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.