LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Clever Disguise as a Responsible Adult
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if that is the right term. I am looking for a pusbutton switch that will go to the open position and stay open when the power is turned off.

One similar in function to the ones used for rear window defrosters or ESP.

I have wired in JTs Fan mod along with a home brew ESP eliminator. I used oval rocker switches W/LEDs but I want a switch that will keep power from the circuit on restart. Wifey drives the car daily and I want a failsafe circuit so that the ESP and fan circuits can not be left on inadvertantly after shutdown. I also want to prevent accidental switch actuation by her purse sitting on the center console etc.

If I knew the proper terminology perhaps I could "Google" it.

Oh yeah, it has to be small and easy to mount through a panel.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
THe rear defroster and esp swithed just tell the ecu to turn on/off the item chosen. You can make a latching relay cct with a momentary switch and a relay ( supply the relay via switch from acc+ power, connect coil+ to relay switched acc power). Relay will latch on until acc power is disconnected..

·
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
PaulFix said:
THe rear defroster and esp swithed just tell the ecu to turn on/off the item chosen. You can make a latching relay cct with a momentary switch and a relay ( supply the relay via switch from acc+ power, connect coil+ to relay switched acc power). Relay will latch on until acc power is disconnected..
So what you are saying is that the relay suplies it's own power to the coil after the momentary switch has closed the relay?

In other words the relay switched circuit and momentary swith/relay control circuit are in parralel? Does this require a special relay?

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
Dang, I hate it when people talk about me behind my back!

Seriously, what you need is referred to a push-push switch (sometimes called a "Latching" switch)...push it once its on and stays on, push it again and its off and stays off. You can probably find one at RatShack.

Here is one from the UK with a good photo & description (the Brits are good at that!): http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35032&doy=7m8&C=SEO&U=strat15

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
PowerWagon896 said:
So what you are saying is that the relay suplies it's own power to the coil after the momentary switch has closed the relay?
Yes

PowerWagon896 said:
In other words the relay switched circuit and momentary swith/relay control circuit are in parralel? Does this require a special relay?
Just a regular relay

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
Duh, did I get that question mixed up or not? WOW!

Try this circuit with a simple 12v relay and a momentary contact switch:

Sorry for the confusion..comes with age!

A similar set of contacts (second pole) on the relay will control whatever circuit you need to be energized after hitting the pushbutton switch.

·
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
PaulFix said:
Yes

Just a regular relay
First of all I want to point out that my fan/ESP mod is a variation of Jim Turner's "Got Fan Mod". I have changed the circuitry to allow control of either fan and I have reversed polarity to allow LED lighted rocker switches to be used.

I got her all wired up. I thought about what you posted and drew my own little schematic and prsented it to 1 of General Motor's finest Electricians. (any electrician you can find @ 2:45 PM is a fine 1)

My schematic was correct and what we have here is a circuit that gives us a "sealed" relay.

I mounted a small pushbutton momentary contact switch next to the rockers to "arm" the circuit. Once the momentary switch is pushed, the relay stays "sealed" (on) until the ignition is turned off. It must then be pushed again to energize the switch panel on restart.

I also found out that a problem I was having blowing the LED in my top fan rocker switch was due to the blue LED and not the circuits. After blowing 3 blue LEDs and returning them for exchange, I switched to a green LED rocker switch. I then wired a relay from the load side of the lower fan switch to the hot side of the top fan switch. (green LED) The top fan will not run without the bottom fan running. The bottom fan switch/relay is wired into a normally closed relay to allow the stock fan relay circuits to function as stock when no energy is applied to the circuit.

Push the amber LED rocker switch and the stock circuit is interupted and the bottom fan relay closes to run the bottom fan on high speed. It also closes another relay that supplies 12v to the hot side of the green LED rocker switch that will then run the top fan on high speed if it is closed.

There is also a red LED rocker switch to disable the ESP, and although the circuitry and relays are funtioning as desired, I think I cut into the wrong wire on the ABS pump. I will now be able to get this ironed out since I have my fan circuits as I want them.

Stay tuned for more on the ESP disable circuitry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.