LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sold Mag in summer '07, ready SRT8
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last night i'm driving behind a Joe Gibbs Monte Carlo and pull up to the stoplight with him and wait. He's an older guy so i figured he didnt want to race, but he had joe gibbs performance stickers number 20 on it and an orange stiping job, etc. so maybe he does. But just in case, hit the esp button and shifted into first. Light turns green and he nails it, some tire spin (we were on an incline) and so i nail it, with a lot of tire spin, but before we pass through the intersection i'm in front and moving faster and faster. Game over.

So this morning, actually a few minutes ago i'm driving to work in the fast lane about 80-85 and i see an srt4 neon approaching me. I'm not really paying him too much mind because my exit was coming up in a few miles and plus i've read lots of things on here saying stay away from them. The guy passes me and the car has more dials gauges and other onboard telemetry than a jet, oh yeah, and stickers too (i gotta get some stickers, good for .2 in the 1/4 mile right?). I move over and let him pass and he does, but jumps in front of me and straddles both lanes ang guns it, i figure what the hell, i'm getting off the freeway in few seconds. So he goes, but oddly enough i'm right there with him, wait i'm actually gaining a bit. I was shocked. I gained on him and was liking it, then i stopped all of the sudden. "What the . . ." i looked down and was doing over 125! That was the first time i had driven this car that fast. I didnt mean to, just kept going. It amazed me how fast these cars can go from 80-120. Its actually kind of scary. One other thing i noticed is once i started braking there was like a thumping which I hope goes away. So i dont know if its a loss because i didnt catch him, but it was fun.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Nice kill and AM commute - and nice write up.

You get a pass from me on the Neon - after all your 'exit was comming up'

plus you almost reached the speed limiter...

·
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wbornio said:
Nice kill and AM commute - and nice write up.

You get a pass from me on the Neon - after all your 'exit was comming up'

plus you almost reached the speed limiter...
I was all over that speed limiter like a fat kid on a cake. It just stopped going forward.

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Maybe all those gauges and stickers added to much weight to the Neon.

Sounds like a good run for both of you regardless.

·
code mechanic
465 Posts
If memory serves, it should be a pretty even match between a stock RT & a stock srt4 ... but they are really easy to mod for more power (heck ... for $50 you can add a manual boost controller to the wastegate control lines & run consistant 18 psi boost at WOT with no problem) and the block & head can handle up to 300 HP or so without problems.

I used to drive a PT GT with pretty much the same configuration as the stock SRT4 neon except for the SRT4's straight thru exhaust.

Nice run!

Nick

·
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nikdfish said:
If memory serves, it should be a pretty even match between a stock RT & a stock srt4 ... but they are really easy to mod for more power (heck ... for $50 you can add a manual boost controller to the wastegate control lines & run consistant 18 psi boost at WOT with no problem) and the block & head can handle up to 300 HP or so without problems.

I used to drive a PT GT with pretty much the same configuration as the stock SRT4 neon except for the SRT4's straight thru exhaust.

Nice run!

Nick
I never knew the pt turbos were the same setup as the srt neon. I just assumed they would be just a bit faster than the n/a version.

·
code mechanic
465 Posts
sstevens805 said:
I never knew the pt turbos were the same setup as the srt neon. I just assumed they would be just a bit faster than the n/a version.
The original PT GT was the same engine & turbo setup as the contemporaneous Neon SRT4. Later years offered both "lite" and a "Hi Output" versions of the turbo powered PT. The "Hi Output" turbo PT was running pretty much the same boost as the stock Neon SRT4 (roughly 225-230 HP) and both required premium gas. The "turbo lite" version provided for 180 HP (vs. 150 for NA) but ran on regular gas. Both the PT and the Neon had "Stage II" PCM swapouts available from Mopar which increased boost and made for more aggressive shifting. Only the Neon got access to "Stage III" which (if memory serves) included a larger turbo & Blow off valve in addition to more aggressive programming.

My stock AWD RT has slightly better 1/4 mile & 0-60 times than did my stock PT GT (& almost as good mpg...)

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.