LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while installing my silver turn signal bulbs, I noticed a little detail that annoys the CRAP out of me. (OCD) A gap approx 1/8"-3/16" between the driver's side headlight & fender. I unfastened the headlight & tried to push the fixture in closer but it would not budge. I know I'm the only one who will probably notice this, but it REALLY bothers me. Anyone have any similar problem? Any ideas on a fix? I'm sure dealer will tell me it's within factory tolerances. Take a look!

Driver's side with gap:

Passenger's side without gap:

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
When you said "annoying gap" I thought you were referring to my ex-wife.....:wink:
Mine is the exact same way. Dealer said as you stated. Guess we have to live with it.
Want to see something even more annoying? Look down the driver's side of the car & follow the reflection to just under the driver's door handle. Notice distortion in the panel? EVERY Magnum has it!

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
i dont like how the handle to open the tailgate isnt flush enough with the tailgate, it sticks out a lil past the tailgate..

what about the gap under the headlights, where they meet the bumper, theres a gap there too, but i like to try to keep my car so well polished and detailed, u overlook everything due to the gleaming paint..

·
I'll be back...someday
3,642 Posts
Magnum Maniac said:
When you said "annoying gap" I thought you were referring to my ex-wife.....:wink:
Mine is the exact same way. Dealer said as you stated. Guess we have to live with it.
Want to see something even more annoying? Look down the driver's side of the car & follow the reflection to just under the driver's door handle. Notice distortion in the panel? EVERY Magnum has it!
wait, waaaaaa!?! imma have to go check this out lol

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Oh man, where do I begin...most of my issues are with the driver's side fender.

The top of the fender is a good 1/8-3/16" higher than the top of the door. Line on the fender don't match up with the line on the door either:

The fender actually rubs on the pillar and the paint has been removed from both the fender and pillar. Gotta get that fixed before winter:

Here is the gap on the passenger fender/pillar. Much better:

Take a look at the difference in the gap between the fender and door. It is almost 1/8" wider at the top than it is at the bottom:

Look at the gap between the front fascia and hood. It was over a 1/4" but it was an easy fix:

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
Come to think of it, my hood was way off before paint, also. And speaking of left fender, mine was a good 1/8 to 1/4 further out than the door was.

German engineering, American build quality?!

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Gameboy said:
Dang matpat! That would drive me absolutely looney!
It does! I fixed the hood myself and will probably do the same with the fender. I just need to figure out where all of the bolts are. I'm pretty sure the dealership will try to weasel out of somehow. Probably try to blame it on my headlight swap or something :wink:

I sure would like to know what the limits are for fitment of body panels. I think I read in either the LX Service Manual or the LX Body repair manual that the gaps need to be within 2mm. I can't remember right now and I'm too lazy to look it up again :grin:

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Magnum Maniac said:
Come to think of it, my hood was way off before paint, also. And speaking of left fender, mine was a good 1/8 to 1/4 further out than the door was.

German engineering, American build quality?!
We should probably make that Canadian build quality since these things are assembled in Canada...

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
matpat said:
It does! I fixed the hood myself and will probably do the same with the fender. I just need to figure out where all of the bolts are.
The bolts are in the inner back edge of the fender, visible from the door jamb. You have to remove that foam insulator. I found it easiest to take it out from the wheelwell. Also, the nut holding the bolts in is NOT attached to the tab, or flange. There is another bolt on the bottom at the rocker panel. It goes without saying the ones in the engine compartment. Not too hard to adjust, just time consuming to get to all the bolts.

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Thanks MM.

The engine compartment bolts were the easy ones :wink: I plan on taking out the inner wheel well one of these days to take a look see. I figure it will be a real PITA to adjust the fender and will probably require me to readjust the hood again also. I just gotta find the time...

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
matpat said:
Thanks MM.

The engine compartment bolts were the easy ones :wink: I plan on taking out the inner wheel well one of these days to take a look see. I figure it will be a real PITA to adjust the fender and will probably require me to readjust the hood again also. I just gotta find the time...
NP matpat, oh yeah, use masking tape on the edges! Luckily I was going into paint when I adjusted, not after! :doh: You are right, it will change the hood gap, but that's pretty easy. Like you said, its finding the time!!:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.