LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· LX Newbie
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Absolute life expectancy of Contis

My original Continentals on my '05 RT have been bald since about 10k miles but today at ~32,900 miles the cords finally started popping through. Taking her in tonight to have Comfortreads put on that I bought on tirerack a couple weeks ago (assuming I don't have a blowout on the 30 mile trip to the tire place!).

Anybody beat ~32,900 with the Contis??? :Na_Na_Na_Na:

· Registered
7,427 Posts
Given that we have plenty of tread left at about 24k on our '05, I think we will beat 33k most soundly... but I would never continue driving one bald tires until the cords broke thru...!!!!! What were you thinking?!!

· Bring out your dead!
1,181 Posts
mine were shot at 18k...

never again.

· Damn Fast Grandpa!!
6,339 Posts
LOL, got 6500 out of my rears, my fronts went to someone else to use up. Now I got Hemi31's old ones on my car to finish off.

· LX Newbie
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GoofyTimL said:
Given that we have plenty of tread left at about 24k on our '05, I think we will beat 33k most soundly... but I would never continue driving one bald tires until the cords broke thru...!!!!! What were you thinking?!!
Call me cheap, I prefer thrifty! There's no way in hell I'm having tires replaced at 10k miles on my coin. They were perfectly safe in dry conditions but were quite the adventure in the last two rainstorms we had. There's hydroplaning and there's Conti hydroplaning! Last winter was hilarious when I was getting stuck in mere slushy intersections! At least I was conscious of them being bald and drove appropriately in adverse conditions...sadly, that's better than most can say!

· Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,689 Posts
Mine are bald as hell after 17,500 miles. Gonna keep rockin 'em though. If i'm not sliding, i'm not replacing them. The goal is to last until spring and do wheels/tires/coilovers then.

· he who likes fast car
2,603 Posts
My Charger with the Michelins is at about as many miles as my magnum with the contis was, and I have much more tread left on these bad boys!

· Faster than the speed of dark!
326 Posts
It seems that RT owners chew through these things pretty quick. What are SXT owners getting on the 17s?

· Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
JuniorTT said:
Call me cheap, I prefer thrifty! There's no way in hell I'm having tires replaced at 10k miles on my coin. They were perfectly safe in dry conditions but were quite the adventure in the last two rainstorms we had. There's hydroplaning and there's Conti hydroplaning! Last winter was hilarious when I was getting stuck in mere slushy intersections! At least I was conscious of them being bald and drove appropriately in adverse conditions...sadly, that's better than most can say!
You are not only cheap, but really stupid and irresponsible, what would you have done a child had run out chasing a ball out in front of you!!!.

And if you had an accident you would be at fault ....period ( unless you where rear ended at a light or something ).

· Now we're talking.
12,217 Posts
snow_mag said:
It seems that RT owners chew through these things pretty quick. What are SXT owners getting on the 17s?
My Goodyears are doing fine. They were replaced with almost new back in March of this year. I bought a set from l1tech (tires + wheels). I never rotate them. I have noticed the rears are a bit more worn than the fronts but it's not bad. I would say I have about 8k to 10k on them now.

I plan on replacing the rears with Kumho 255/55 R17 when they wear out more. I'm leaving the fronts 215/65 R17.

· Faster than the speed of dark!
326 Posts
I only ask about the Contis because I just picked up a set of 300 wheels with a new set of Contacts.

My original wheels have the Goodyears. 24K miles / 40K km and still over half left. Of course I drive a lot of straight highway and half in winter.

· LX Newbie
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PaulFix said:
You are not only cheap, but really stupid and irresponsible, what would you have done a child had run out chasing a ball out in front of you!!!.

And if you had an accident you would be at fault ....period ( unless you where rear ended at a light or something ).
Easy there, chief. That's quite a bit of unjustified namecalling.

· rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
I use my original Contis in the winter. I actually like how they perform. Ive had no problems in snow and ice to speak of. Their a softer rubber so thats why Michelin (harder) last longer. Ive had Michelins on other cars easily last over 75,000 miles. In summer, I run my custom wheels with Bridgestones.

· Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Same here Matt

wisconsinmagnum said:
mine should last a while now that i have aftermarket tires for the summer. and the conties only for the winter.
I only have 2 winters on my Contis and they are like new. Only have 10,600 miles on the car since May -05

1,458 Posts
JuniorTT said:
Easy there, chief. That's quite a bit of unjustified namecalling.
Not really, I get tired and frustrated using the jaws of life to exrtract dead and injured kids ( and grown ups) from vehicles involved in unnecessary accidents caused by many things including unsafe vehicles.

It is fine saying you can drive within the tires limits, but if unexpected things happen and you dont actually know the tires limits it is not cool, especially as the tires are only $600 to replace with new or you call Conti's customer line and get replacements for free as I did at 20k.

My words are harsh, but no insurance coverage and injured or dead people are a lot worse.

· Got Diesel?
472 Posts
I have 19k miles on the Contis. Almost down to the wear bars on the rear. Probably could go another 5k or so if I rotate the tires. But my Hankooks are here so I can't wait.

MikeyB

1,458 Posts
Having said that above, my buddy just pulled up on his Harley and showed me his front tire, it too is showing cords and he brags how good a rider he is.....

I dont get it.....

It is your life, please avoid being near me.....thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.