LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Who Farted........O its torquemanagment!
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i get by with running a lower grade fuel if i stay out of the go button? If it does go into detonation will the cpu pull alittle timing to compensate. So far she's had a steady diet of 93 octane, thinking of 87/89

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
Next time you get low put in 10 gal of 89 octane. Try it , if no pinging, good to go. If it pings top off with 93 and you will be fine. Both of my vehicles run a premium tune with 89 octane, no problems.To be honest, they run better!

·
LX Padiwan
514 Posts
I see absolutely no reason to compromise the performance of the engine to save $1.80 at the pump per fill-up. Consider it the 'price of admission' for having a 425hp car. Overall gas prices are expensive, but still, it's only $.20/gallon difference between the different grades... a bargain really. (with gas being this expensive, you're only paying marginally more for high-grade compared to if gas was $buck a gallon)

Sure, the ECU will protect the engine from knock, but because that often happens at low rpms under load, you'll be forcing the engine to downshift to find that safe power and lowering your efficiency in the process.

Stick with the recommended fuel or get yourself a diesel-hybrid-solar car if you're concerned about your dollars at the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
bradkaye said:
I see absolutely no reason to compromise the performance of the engine to save $1.80 at the pump per fill-up. Consider it the 'price of admission' for having a 425hp car. Overall gas prices are expensive, but still, it's only $.20/gallon difference between the different grades... a bargain really. (with gas being this expensive, you're only paying marginally more for high-grade compared to if gas was $buck a gallon)

Sure, the ECU will protect the engine from knock, but because that often happens at low rpms under load, you'll be forcing the engine to downshift to find that safe power and lowering your efficiency in the process.

Stick with the recommended fuel or get yourself a diesel-hybrid-solar car if you're concerned about your dollars at the pump.
Ditto...

·
Who Farted........O its torquemanagment!
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Money is not a object. It's the fact that if you don't need high test gas it will carbon up. I needed to know if the engine ran at a level of timing/Comp Ratio stock, where it would need the octane of a that high a level when it wont be hammered on by my 5'1" wife. Thanks for the replies yall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.