LX Forums Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,608 Posts
Does a 6.4 pcm not work with the 05-08 system? Looking at a power upgrade next year possibly, and going with a 6.4 crate engine seems like a really good option. Just thinking a 6.4 pcm would allow the active runner without a workaround
I am no expert but have been looking into this for my own potential swap. What I have learned from others is that the 6.4 pcm does not hook up or at all work with the 05-08 system.
The workaround previously stated is to use 09-10 5.7 ecm because it works in the Gen 1 system, but has VVT capabilities needed to run the 6.4, but needs something additional to run the active runners that the 5.7 never had. It is my understanding that this 09-10 only works with Nag 1 and running an 8speed would require a lot of changes to accommodate a 6.4 pcm or I believe some shops have devised a workaround for that.
Please, someone that can explain this better than I can, jump in and set me straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I am no expert but have been looking into this for my own potential swap. What I have learned from others is that the 6.4 pcm does not hook up or at all work with the 05-08 system.
The workaround previously stated is to use 09-10 5.7 ecm because it works in the Gen 1 system, but has VVT capabilities needed to run the 6.4, but needs something additional to run the active runners that the 5.7 never had. It is my understanding that this 09-10 only works with Nag 1 and running an 8speed would require a lot of changes to accommodate a 6.4 pcm or I believe some shops have devised a workaround for that.
Please, someone that can explain this better than I can, jump in and set me straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct about how to go about this and why a 6.4l pcm won't work. What you just explained and what I have explained in this thread seems to be the simplest way to run a 6.4l engine with no issues and everything functional. The engine mates right up to the original nag1. However, there are more involved setups to run the 8 speed and zf rear ends. Companies offer a harness for the 8 speed to function, another option would be to completely gut the wiring and put the 6.4l body harness in the car essentially converting the car over to modern technology with a newer dash whether that be of a charger or chrysler 300 variant. There are youtube videos of people doing this and I've seen more involved 6.4l conversations in person.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You are correct about how to go about this and why a 6.4l pcm won't work. What you just explained and what I have explained in this thread seems to be the simplest way to run a 6.4l engine with no issues and everything functional. The engine mates right up to the original nag1. However, there are more involved setups to run the 8 speed and zf rear ends. Companies offer a harness for the 8 speed to function, another option would be to completely gut the wiring and put the 6.4l body harness in the car essentially converting the car over to modern technology with a newer dash whether that be of a charger or chrysler 300 variant. There are youtube videos of people doing this and I've seen more involved 6.4l conversations in person.

I assume the 5.7 oil pan will bolt up for retaining the front diff on an AWD?

Reactions: LXicon

·
Registered
11 Posts
I assume the 5.7 oil pan will bolt up for retaining the front diff on an AWD?
This is also my #1 question regarding this swap. The rest of the info is so good this is the only part that I haven't been able to find an answer on. Factory functional 6.4L with a few bolt-ons is my current thinking for a perfect upgraded daily driver, plus the sleeper factor is also appealing.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Only just seen you post. Christmas and all. Mine is a 2016 6.4 Hemi. Kept the reluctor wheel from the 2016 6.4 Hemi. Just changed to the sensor the suites my 2010 ECU. Because of my 270 comp cam, HHP suggested using a 2010 ECU to take advantage of it.
As far as CAN I haven't driven my car yet. Still mucking around with wiring and programming, but engine does start.
Do you know what sensor was needed? If I do the swap it'll be with a new crate engine so I'd hate to have to open it up to change the reluctor wheel

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I used the 2010 5.7 Crank position sensor from Rockauto. Don't forget to get a connector with pig tails if you don't already have one.
I used a 2009 5.7l crank position sensor..same thing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I have been running the 6.4l swap as a daily driver and have since put 40k miles on the motor with absolutely zero issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update on my build.
My original dyno numbers where at 303kw at the rear wheels, with stock stall converter, stock diff gears, stock TB and stock air intake.
Changed stall to 3600, diff to 3.92, 90mm TB and change to legmaker 90mm cold air intake. Dyno numbers went up to 365kw. A big jump. That's 490HP at rhe rear tyres. I don't know if one thing made the biggest increase or the tuner put more work into it. I think thee cold air intake made the difference, the stock one seems to be restrictive,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely sounds like the Legmaker CAI, tb and re-tune woke it right up! Along with the gearing and new torque converter it must be a real beast. Well done. Definitely planning to do this

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
So I just picked up a 2010 truck 5.7 yesterday (was running but smoking. $500 with the crate, complete with heads but no accessories).

Plan is to replace the bottom end and get it bored to make sure the cylinder walls are good.

Since it is a 2010, could I in theory use a 09-10 PCM and the stock 09-10 5.7 wiring harness? Just thinking if I can get one cheap from the wrecker rather than paying $2k USD for the Hotwire auto one.

·
LX Mekanic
11 Posts
@Hunter300c I just picked up a complete '18 392 after finding this thread, and I plan to drop it in my 07 magnum 5.7l since it grenaded a few days ago. Could you give me some pointers on which connectors or other sensors I need to change? I am already running a 6.4 manifold, TB and SRV with the MSD box on my 5.7, I just need to know what else (if anything) needs to be changed on my engine harness. Also it came with the 392 starter... which do I use?

·
LX Mekanic
11 Posts
did you make it work and exactly what did it take I’ll be doing a swap on a 2005 Chrysler 300c with my 2014 Dodge Charger I know you need the vvt lock out and a tune but is there something else?
So far I'm still (slowly) gathering parts. As I understand you don't need to lock out the VVT unless you want to go with an aftermarket cam. Earlier posts give a pretty complete list of what is needed but I can summarize:
09 5.7 pcm from Hotwire Auto (call Chris)
09 5.7 crank position sensor & pigtail
VVT pigtail (must be wired in to your harness/pcm)
12-14 5.7/6.4 Alternator & AC compressor
5.7/6.4 Cam position sensor
IAT Extension harness
MMX throttle body adapter harness (for the 6.4 throttle body) SKU:CPE-109283
6.4 exhaust
6.4 Fuel feed line (from hard line to fuel rail)
As for the a/C compressor I have not figured out a solution for the discharge line. I am absolutely baffled on how they made it work as I'm unable to find a line that reaches or is at the proper angle to line up with the compressor.
If I find any other parts required I'll update this post.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C. I have a drop out engine and transmission on the k-member along with entire front suspension. I also have a HP TUNERS with 8 credits. I have located a 2009 PCM from a Charger RT 5.7. Can I use my HP TUNER to write my VIN in the new PCM? I don't know what the VIN number was from the donor car. Did you all run into SKIM issues (security ignition keys) using a donor PCM? Thanks in advance. This is an old thread but a really good thread to say the least.

·
LX Mekanic
11 Posts
You can't change the vin with HP Tuners. Send it to Chris at Hotwire Auto and he can tune it. I'm assuming you have a 6.4L, what trans is behind it? It will need to be the NAG1 or you will run into other issues I presume. I had no issues with my skim module.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can't change the vin with HP Tuners. Send it to Chris at Hotwire Auto and he can tune it. I'm assuming you have a 6.4L, what trans is behind it? It will need to be the NAG1 or you will run into other issues I presume. I had no issues with my skim module.
I have a PCM on the way from Chris. I am using a NAG1 transmission. I have a 6.4 harness to pirate the connectors from. Crank sensor, 2012 RT a/c compressor. I however do not know how to wire up the VVT.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts