LX Forums Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Nice to see ya back. Always loved the first gen.. The 3" exh ya found for me is sounding good, lost a lb of boost though, better flowing I guess. Remember, "never give up who you are for anybody, not even for the love of your life" ahahahahhha. Coming from an old man that's seen a thing or two..

Reactions: Craigslue

·
Mopar! OH YEA!!!
3,060 Posts
I should have just explained it all upfront as I've gotten dozens of pms asking how to do this. To start, if your car is a 2009+ the swap is much easier. This would work with non 5.7l cars aswell as long as your car has a nag1 trans. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this way you dont need to swap out your dash and body harness. In this example we are talking about a 2006 5.7l car. Took a complete 2018 6.4l engine, used the 5.7l engine harness. The 6.4l motor mounts are a direct fit. You'll need to swap crank sensor for a 2009 5.7l one. Use your 5.7l power steering pump. Use a 2012-2014 5.7l ac compressor for the belt to line up(others may work I dont know). Use a 6.1l/6.4l severe duty radiator and then bolt back on your original transmission radiator. I used a 6.4l k&n cold air intake but had to cut off the heat shield due to where the power steering resivour is located(that could be relocated). The entire 6.4l exhaust including manifolds fits very well with the charger tips seating perfectly in the rear bumper cutouts. The engine bolts directly up to the nag1 without any transmission tuning needed to run but its recommended. The nag1 was used in 3.5l, 5.7l and 6.4l cars up until 2014 as the last year. The most important part is you NEED to use a 2009+ 5.7l pcm and have your vin written in along with a 6.4l tune. A VVT pigtail harness is also required for you to retain vvt and not have to lock the phaser limiter. Chris Squier at hotwireauto supplied me with the pcm tuned with vin written in, vvt harness and instructions. It was plug and play. Lastly you need use a MSD rpm switch to trigger the active intake manifolds short and long runner modes for full benefit. You could leave it as is or switch to a 6.1l intake manifold if you want to run boost without forged internals but that is a separate subject entirely. I hope I'm not missing anything. I still have a lot to do to this car. I started feeling greedy keeping this info all to myself lol. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
AWESOME INFO!!!!!!!

Just to clarify you used your 06 5.7 harness? Or did you use a harness from 09-up?

Reactions: MrPc2010

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
AWESOME INFO!!!!!!!

Just to clarify you used your 06 5.7 harness? Or did you use a harness from 09-up?
I bought a harness from 2008 5.7l car because I sold my harness with my 5.7l engine. Its the same thing and will work.

Reactions: Mongo300cSRTdesign

·
Registered
9 Posts
I should have just explained it all upfront as I've gotten dozens of pms asking how to do this. To start, if your car is a 2009+ the swap is much easier. This would work with non 5.7l cars aswell as long as your car has a nag1 trans. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this way you dont need to swap out your dash and body harness. In this example we are talking about a 2006 5.7l car. Took a complete 2018 6.4l engine, used the 5.7l engine harness. The 6.4l motor mounts are a direct fit. You'll need to swap crank sensor for a 2009 5.7l one. Use your 5.7l power steering pump. Use a 2012-2014 5.7l ac compressor for the belt to line up(others may work I dont know). Use a 6.1l/6.4l severe duty radiator and then bolt back on your original transmission radiator. I used a 6.4l k&n cold air intake but had to cut off the heat shield due to where the power steering resivour is located(that could be relocated). The entire 6.4l exhaust including manifolds fits very well with the charger tips seating perfectly in the rear bumper cutouts. The engine bolts directly up to the nag1 without any transmission tuning needed to run but its recommended. The nag1 was used in 3.5l, 5.7l and 6.4l cars up until 2014 as the last year. The most important part is you NEED to use a 2009+ 5.7l pcm and have your vin written in along with a 6.4l tune. A VVT pigtail harness is also required for you to retain vvt and not have to lock the phaser limiter. Chris Squier at hotwireauto supplied me with the pcm tuned with vin written in, vvt harness and instructions. It was plug and play. Lastly you need use a MSD rpm switch to trigger the active intake manifolds short and long runner modes for full benefit. You could leave it as is or switch to a 6.1l intake manifold if you want to run boost without forged internals but that is a separate subject entirely. I hope I'm not missing anything. I still have a lot to do to this car. I started feeling greedy keeping this info all to myself lol. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. I have reached out to Hotwire Auto. Just waiting for reply. I should be able to take advantage of the best features of the 6.4L Hemi. Why have a 6.4 Hemi and not have VVT and active runners.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Congrats on Engine/engagement/soon to be babies!!! Have any vids? i'm interested in the A8 swap. That's one tranny I want underneath me
Thank you, with regards to the 8hp70 swap I had the 8 speed sitting since I used the nag1. I searched for a solution that didn't involve swapping out the body harness and dash. German Sound Engineering was developing a solution for this. It wasn't foolproof just yet and I sold the trans and driveshaft only to find out they released the solution a week later... If I went the route of using the 8 speed I'd need to have a custom driveshaft made to mate with my getrag OR buy a zf rear end which I elected not to buy at the time of engine purchase. Anyways, here is the website for the standalone tcm to run the 8hp70. It's about $1000.
PCS - Sound German Automotive

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the info. I have reached out to Hotwire Auto. Just waiting for reply. I should be able to take advantage of the best features of the 6.4L Hemi. Why have a 6.4 Hemi and not have VVT and active runners.
Your welcome, yes I never understood why people lock out the VVT. Chris supplied me with wires and instructions on getting the active runners to work but informed me that the pcm probably isn't capable. I tried and it didn't work so had to go the msd rpm switch route. I had to use a 2009 pcm to use vvt and to retain all of the cars features..everything works as it should. 2009+ had the eagle 5.7l which had vvt so the pcm is capable of running it.

·
Mopar! OH YEA!!!
3,060 Posts
Your welcome, yes I never understood why people lock out the VVT. Chris supplied me with wires and instructions on getting the active runners to work but informed me that the pcm probably isn't capable. I tried and it didn't work so had to go the msd rpm switch route. I had to use a 2009 pcm to use vvt and to retain all of the cars features..everything works as it should. 2009+ had the eagle 5.7l which had vvt so the pcm is capable of running it.

I saw Hotwire offered 6.4 harnesses and PCM in the past for our cars but wasn't sure how it would all work out. I remember back in the day when everyone said our cars were limited as what could be done and you'd be better of getting an 09 up LX. Now I see everything is all figured out!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have now put the 6.4 Hemi in. I have changed over most of the connectors to be compatible with the 6.4 Hemi's sensors, throttle body, cam sensor, crank sensor etc. I made sure of the sensor ground pins, signal pins etc.
Did you use the alternator and AC pump that came with the 6.4?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have now put the 6.4 Hemi in. I have changed over most of the connectors to be compatible with the 6.4 Hemi's sensors, throttle body, cam sensor, crank sensor etc. I made sure of the sensor ground pins, signal pins etc.
Did you use the alternator and AC pump that came with the 6.4?
Thanks in advance
Your almost there..I used the 6.4l alternator and an a/c compressor from a 2012 r/t. You can't use the 6.4l a/c. It has to be up until 2014.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Oh ok makes sense now, is all the CAN bus functions still retained? Everything is ran through CAN bus I would hate to lose cruise control or climate control, anyone know if that's a issue.
I'm not sure about the reluctor wheel but I retained everything like cruise control and climate control with my setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure about the reluctor wheel but I retained everything like cruise control and climate control with my setup.

Nice that's good to hear about the CAN bus, then would have taken the crank out to change the reluctor. Then rebalance the crank, That's really the only I'm struggling to find out. But seems like it's all about the ecm an a mds harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was the crank reluctor wheel changed out on the 392 or just the crank sensor. I've been told that the wheel has to be changed to a 32T.
Only just seen you post. Christmas and all. Mine is a 2016 6.4 Hemi. Kept the reluctor wheel from the 2016 6.4 Hemi. Just changed to the sensor the suites my 2010 ECU. Because of my 270 comp cam, HHP suggested using a 2010 ECU to take advantage of it.
As far as CAN I haven't driven my car yet. Still mucking around with wiring and programming, but engine does start.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Did you have a pin out for the ECU to connect the short runners? I would like to try and give it a go to work. I have a MSD RPM, but before I use it I would like to try and connect to the ECU. I have a 2010 ECU and that may make a difference, or I might just be wasting my time.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Does a 6.4 pcm not work with the 05-08 system? Looking at a power upgrade next year possibly, and going with a 6.4 crate engine seems like a really good option. Just thinking a 6.4 pcm would allow the active runner without a workaround

41 - 60 of 87 Posts