LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some searching, but I can't find any info on this swap. To start, I have an 05 magnum r/t awd with 260k miles. The engine finally blew, so it turned into a project.

I have been able to find a couple of wrecked 6.4's for sale, so I was thinking about doing this swap. Especially, since the miles on the magnum are so high that I'll need to replace/rebuild the drivetrain and suspension anyways.

So far, my thoughts are that I will need to use the engine, engine wiring, ecu, transmission, tcu, rear end with cradle, front cradle (since I am going from awd to rwd), entire suspension and braking, auto shifter interior parts, dash, and dashboard wiring. Am I missing anything?

I am hoping there isn't much more to it than that. If there is I may just build the 5.7 into a 392 and keep the awd.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
I have been doing some searching, but I can't find any info on this swap. To start, I have an 05 magnum r/t awd with 260k miles. The engine finally blew, so it turned into a project.

I have been able to find a couple of wrecked 6.4's for sale, so I was thinking about doing this swap. Especially, since the miles on the magnum are so high that I'll need to replace/rebuild the drivetrain and suspension anyways.

So far, my thoughts are that I will need to use the engine, engine wiring, ecu, transmission, tcu, rear end with cradle, front cradle (since I am going from awd to rwd), entire suspension and braking, auto shifter interior parts, dash, and dashboard wiring. Am I missing anything?

I am hoping there isn't much more to it than that. If there is I may just build the 5.7 into a 392 and keep the awd.
Honestly, if it were I doing the build, I'd buy a forged 5.7 based 392 short block and let it eat. Your wallet will thank you sooner than later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, if it were I doing the build, I'd buy a forged 5.7 based 392 short block and let it eat. Your wallet will thank you sooner than later.
I have actually been able to find a couple of totalled 6.4's for quite a bit less than the 392 build. That is why I am interested. It will certainly be more work, but I'll end up with a newer drivetrain and wiring.

That's the reason why I am curious, as to what all needs to be swapped. I do keep pretty busy with my job, so if there is too much more work than I posted above....I may just spend the extra cash lol.

One of the main problems that I have to consider, is that my magnum is a 2005. They tend to have ecu problems when tuning, so if I went stroker, I would have to find an 06-07 engine wiring harness and ecu. I have found ecu's, but the engine wiring harness is proving difficult to source.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you need a new wire harness?
I am going to swap to an 06-07 computer, as the 05 computers have a tendency to have issues when tuning, and can basically self-destruct lol. I am not sure if an 06-07 ecu will work with an 05 wiring harness, as the ignition system is slightly different. So I figured to get the 06-07 wiring harness and convert over to the 06-07 ignition system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it looks like I'll be junking this magnum. I cannot find an 06-07 5.7 awd wiring harness for anything....and apparently they are different from rwd harnesses. And no idea how much work is needed to do the 6.4 swap.

So as of now, it is just taking up room in my garage. Room that I could use for other things.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Well, it looks like I'll be junking this magnum. I cannot find an 06-07 5.7 awd wiring harness for anything....and apparently they are different from rwd harnesses. And no idea how much work is needed to do the 6.4 swap.

So as of now, it is just taking up room in my garage. Room that I could use for other things.
Did you try Cleveland Power and Performance? Give them a shot before you scrap it

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Find an AWD donor charger and swap everything over, everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That’s crazy no one has a harness.
What’s the chassis condition like?
And your location?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
Everything on it is good, except the motor. I'm in UT.

Did you try Cleveland Power and Performance? Give them a shot before you scrap it
They don't have prices listed on their site. Nor do they show any wiring harnesses.

Find an AWD donor charger and swap everything over, everything.
I have absolutely no interest in swapping out every single part, from one car to another. That would take years. That's why I wanted to know what was absolutely necessary. Plus, I am not going through all that just to be stuck with another 5.7 lol

·
Red trucker
1,242 Posts
And on that note. We're done. Seeing as how your only input is to be a troll.
Not trolling LMAO, don't get your panties in a wad. Just seems like you think that just because they don't have it specifically listed on their website that they don't have it. They literally have a TON of sh!t they don't list and it would've been worth the miniscule time and effort to email them and ASK lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Not trolling LMAO, don't get your panties in a wad. Just seems like you think that just because they don't have it specifically listed on their website that they don't have it. They literally have a TON of sh!t they don't list and it would've been worth the miniscule time and effort to email them and ASK lol.
Or a phone call to ask a human.

I thought it, just didn't bother saying it. If they can't pick up a phone and call them because you didn't see it on their site, you're probably a tad to lazy to actually do the swap.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
He did say it would take years to do a swap. I've watched people on the tube do it in a week.

Reactions: Curious Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sorry, but my experience with businesses has always been that if they don't list something for sale or include a price, then it is not worth the effort. Either they don't really want to sell it, or they will try and price gouge someone that does show an interest. There is a reason that prices are marked in stores. You seem to be taking this awful personal...2 fairly insulting comments. Must be associated with the business somehow.

Or a phone call to ask a human.

I thought it, just didn't bother saying it. If they can't pick up a phone and call them because you didn't see it on their site, you're probably a tad to lazy to actually do the swap.
Yay! A second troll. This may make it easier, to find out who to ignore on this site. Keep it coming fellas!

Ooooh, an ignore button. How handy.

He did say it would take years to do a swap. I've watched people on the tube do it in a week.
Do those people work 12 hour graveyard shifts (5pm-5am), sometimes 10-11 days in a row? Even if I do get a couple days off, it makes it difficult to perform the work. As I usually try and stick to a graveyard schedule, when off work as well, so I can still sleep for the job. So let's see. Get off work at 5am, home by 5:45, in bed at 6, wake up at 2pm, take a shower, get my meal prepped and my gear put together, out the door at 4:15pm. Rinse, repeat. Boy, I gotta tell you. These guys you watch must be super-human if they could build a car in a week, off of maybe a free 30 minutes a day. Either that or they live a pretty privileged life, with a lax work schedule that they can manipulate at will. Me? I work for a living....I don't spend all day watching youtube and believing that everything I see on there MUST be true. I mean, come on! I've seen car shows, build a car in 30 minutes! It must be possible!

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Dude, I'm not a troll, but F.F.S., it's a damn phone call. Cleveland PAP has been supplying parts for YEARS. They have quality parts and decent prices. You could have called and asked. How much would that have hurt?

Ignore me, ignore him, junk your car, I don't give 2 turds either way. I'm trying to help you get what you need, but I'm damn sure not going to call them for you.

I'll keep enjoying the Beast whatever you decide to do.

I'm sick of people looking for answers they want to hear and then talking sht when they do t hear what they want to hear.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts