LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LX Newbie
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now using Mobil1 and K&N oil filters. I think I think I could go 5000 miles between oil changes. Is there any way they could give me trouble on my warranty for not doing it every 3000 as scheduled????

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
I am using synthetic oil and do my oil changes every 4 months or 4,000 miles, which ever comes first.

Bob

·
LX Guru
2,871 Posts
I am going to try for 6k miles using oil analysis. DCX/Dealer has to be able to prove that it was the oil that caused the failure. Also, find and read the Mobil 1 Warranty carefully. I run Amsoil because after reading their warranty it basically says that if their oil causes a failure when properly used, they will repair or replace at their discression.

I am using http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html where they will send you a free test kit. They have two levels of testing. The "extra" testing for $10 more includes the TBN additive level testing to find out if your oil has enough additives left after xyz miles to be run longer or not. (Many other oil analysis folks will charge you for the test kit and the analysis) I figure paying $60 for two full tests on oil (3k and 6k tests) to tell me if I am protected well enough is worth it especially if DCX/Dealer ever wants to complain about my oil changing habits. I will also test again in 6months or a year to make sure things are still okay.

I'm sending my oil in for analysis at 3k miles to find out if 3k is in the stars for me. I'm running Amsoil 5w20 and the Amsoil EaO42 Filter. Before you start knocking Amsoil, yes some of their advertising practices and especially independant dealers are very annoying. I can get Amsoil cheaper and easier than Mobil 1 in my area. You may have Mobil 1 easier/cheaper in your area. I used independent oil analysis / tests on different brands of oil to decide for myself that Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the two best oils you can run in your car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.