LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
In the sea of life, we are all minnows!
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:blah::blah: Ok... although not my fault..... my first fender bender. I was pulling into Applebee's for a lunch date today and halfway up the turn in I noticed a Silver 300C backing toward me. I stopped, and she kept backing, and backing, and backing..... I looked to put my Magnum in reverse, but was unable to go anywhere! There was a car behind me. I must of honked my horn three or four times before I just layed on it!!!! Finally she turn and looked to the left and slammed on her brakes. I didn't think she even hit me because there was no "bump". She pulled forward and I noticed a significant dent in her passenger side door. Before I could even get out of my car, the lady along with a teenage boy and girl, had already "RUN" to check out my bumper. I got out and the lady just kept saying.."My husbands going to kill me!" The teenage boy, I'm assumming her son, procceded to "WIPE OFF THE SILVER PAINT ON MY CAR!" I asked her how much damage was done to her car, and she kept telling me not to worry. She was acting like she was in a real big hurry and asked me if everything was good. Well.... I said NO!!! I don't know what she expected me to say! My brilliant black bumper was completely scraped off in about a 6 inch square area. Before I knew it she was trying to talk me into not filing a report and her son told me just to use a little touch up paint to fix it! A LITTLE TOUCH UP PAINT! I need the whole front bumper piece repalced!! At no time did she offer any insurance info nor did she even ask me my name. We never looked at the damage to her car. She was leaving, and I told her I needed her name a phone number. Sure enough the number she gave me was correct. She said she was going to call the cops and have them come to my work to file a report. I laughed because she didn't even know my name, let alone where I worked. I told her I'll get an estimate and call her back. we could either file a claim with her insurance, or she could pay to have it repaired. Still no insurance info offered by her! Back at work I called the police and was told to file online. Being in a parking lot, they wouldn't have sent a policeman out anyway. My claim was filed within 1 hr. of the accident. I called her trying to get info again and she said she was shopping and ask me if I could meet her in a half hour back at the accident site!!!! Well.... this is my first ever (at 40 years old) expeirence with any sort of fender bender, I asked her WTF???? Is she afraid of a hit and run now? The really suckey thing is I was at the wrong Applebee's!:blam: Any advice?

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Keep calling her until you are satisfied. Or do a reverse lookup of the telephone number to get her address, or google the name and city/state for full address info.

Do not stop until you have the money from her, or have been contacted by her insurance. Do not let even 1 day pass without talking to her, if you do, you'll never get paid.

·
1st='79GT 2nd='05RT
652 Posts
Stop eating at Applebee's!

·
T.G.I.F.
24,289 Posts
Unfortunately not much I can help you with now. Not sure about the insurance laws in your state but insurance has to be provided on request here. I keep my digital camera in my car so I can snap accident pics if needed, but a cheapie disposable works too.

At this point if she denies the accident ever happened you're going to get into a he said/she said kinda thing. If she gets her damage repaired there won't be any evidence that this accident ever even happened.

Bulldog her, and see what the cops can do for you. If the front bumper piece needs replacement how much is that with labor? I bet its pushing a grand from the dealer although I don't know. If she waffles at all or even starts to string you along get a lawyer, or chalk it up to experience. Either way get that disposable camera.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could eat at Mcdonalds, but I probably would have been hit by a Cheverolet! HA! HA! Thanks for the advice guys!

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
MattRobertson said:
At this point if she denies the accident ever happened you're going to get into a he said/she said kinda thing. If she gets her damage repaired there won't be any evidence that this accident ever even happened.
That's what I'm thinking - getting out of there without her insurance info can come back to bite you.

And can't believe no one else has said it: SRT8 Front End!

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
iamkungfool said:
never leave without a police report in the future. but otherwise like those guys said.
They wouldn't come out unless an ambulance was needed. I've been hit twice in two difference parking lots - one of them so violent my front wheel was driven into the concrete. Because I didn't request an ambulance to be called, the police wouldn't come out.

The first time, I thought I was being noble - I didn't need an ambulance, I just had some cuts and bruises. But man, did that ever shaft me when it came time to get paid. The insurance company of the other guy (DHL delivery van) basically said I pulled out in front of them and that their driver wasn't at fault. So I ended up having to file under my own insurance, and they attempted to get my deductible back from the other company. Nothing every happened.

And the accident? I was turning left down an aisle of cars, and the delivery truck came from behind me and tried to pass me on the left while doing about 50mph. T-boned me and totalled my car.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Remember - most digital cameras have a 'movie mode' heck - most cell phones do nowadays - take some time to learn how to use it. Video tape, or audio tape her 'apologies' and and statements that are made at the scene of the accident. Most definitely get a shot of the 2 cars and the plates.

Since it's your video - you can choose to use it or not if it helps or hurts your case.

Not much help now - but it may help others who might not have thought about their recording capabilities.

Best of Luck - Get the estimate... get the cash... get the SRT8 front end!

·
Dazed and Confused
108 Posts
This link has alot of good info on parking lot accidents. I know I have had a few and always had to go through my own insurance. Basically if you dont have a witness and the lady lies, you could be screwed.

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
not sure what state you're in. but in CA if more that $750 damage or an injury you have to file with the DMV.

Having experienced something similar several years ago, this is what I did.

Filed report with police
Filed report with DMV
Filed report with my insurance

Results:

DMV suspends the license of the party at fault if they do not file within 24 hours of incident.

My insurance repaired my car, then sued the other guy.

This all assumes that you have her name (and hopefully and address) and license plate number.

I know the guy that thumped me got a 6 month suspension on license and my insurance company garnished his wages until the $1000 was paid back per court order.

·
A Soldiers' Mom
4,562 Posts
You filed a report and that's good. She probably wanted you back there to make it seem like it happen then and not earlier. Be careful. It could be a set up. Do you have any witnesses? More worried about shopping than her responsibility? Since you have her phone number, find out her name. She doesn't have your info unless she has caller ID. Cover your butt, don't trust her! Take pics now.

I was backing out in a lot and because of this truck beside me, I was creeping and looking both ways constantly. When I turned to look again the other way, this car pulled up right behind me and stopped! I was almost half way out and was able to see the drivers door out the back window. I almost hit them. I stopped and waited a few but they didn't move. I put it in drive and moved forward and then they started going. I followed them for alittle while, only because they were going the same way I was, and I got behind them at the light. I think they were looking for a new car. Some people go looking for a way to sue somebody else.

·
Steve
1,082 Posts
MattRobertson said:
Bulldog her, and see what the cops can do for you. If the front bumper piece needs replacement how much is that with labor? I bet its pushing a grand from the dealer although I don't know. If she waffles at all or even starts to string you along get a lawyer, or chalk it up to experience. Either way get that disposable camera.
I can tell you that the rear bumper is estimated at 574.00 for complete replacement. See My Story at http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=37236&page=2

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. So this lady who back into me on Monday, who I actually felt kind sorry for, Is now trying to blame this all on me! I was able to track down her insurance agent on Thursday, and expalined the situation. They knew nothing about the incident, (that happened 3 days prior), until I contacted them. The agent stated she would file the claim and contact her client. 10 minutes later her client called me. She was threatening and totally blamming me! Of course she is! After all, I'm the one who called her insurance company and told them about the fender bender. She didn't. In Colorado, no officer would have been sent out because it was on private property. As instructed by the Police department, I filed a report online within the hour of the incident. This woman had not even told her insurance company. My agent has been well aware of the situaiton, and I've already have two estimates done. Why would I hit and run her and then report the accident to her insurance if I was trying to hide something? Also I'm driving a $40,000 dollar car, why wouldn't I want it fixed? DUH! Okay, she was in a Chrysler 300, Not a HEMI though, stock rims and tires. How does that compare to mine? (Fully loaded-RT with 20 inch rims and all the bells and whistles) What do you all think? Should I have offered her the chance to pay the estimate first? Should I have even tried to contact her insurance? Remember, she had no idea who I was, because she left and didn't get any of my info after she gave me her name and phone #. The damage to my bumper isn't even enough to replace it. They will repair the scratch and repaint only. Did I open a can of worms?

·
LX Padiwan
282 Posts
No, you did the right thing. She sounds like a jerk.

·
Conspicuous Combustion . . .
6,084 Posts
She's a fruitcake --
we had one (a tippling old teacher b*tch) rear end us a couple years ago
(her foot slipped off the brake - have another toddy) --
we called the cops -- he told us we had to work it out between us.
We called the school, e-mailed her supervisor, called her numerous times -- she never paid.
Some people are low slime:loser:, and usually they're the ones that hit you.

Good luck -- my BP goes up thinking about that irresponsible b*tch.

·
Threadkiller.........see?
3,099 Posts
Did you open up a can of worms? No way, eye4neye - you're just doing what you're supposed to do. Don't worry about her being a jerk to you. She got herself into this mess, whatever the consequences are to her. Here's hoping your car gets repaired so well you can't tell anything happened. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.