LX Forums Forum banner

300C Rear deck removal - gain access to rear speakers

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  2005300c1968 
#1 ·
From the trunk, remove the lower speaker cover by pulling out the panel clips. There are six of them. I didn't take any pictures of this as
it seemed easy enough.

Rear Seat Bolster Removal:
Fold down the rear seats and remove the 10mm bolt from the bolster.

Using a screw driver, press down on the spring clip at the top while pulling out on the bolster. Be sure you are pressing on the right
thing. Once you get it right, it pops right out

Here's what the clip looks like:

Now remove the two screws on the side pillar:

Fold the seat up and remove the bottom screw:

Press the molding down from the top and remove it:

Pop out the one center clip:

Then grab the deck cover and pull it straight out:

There you have it. The rest is normal speaker replacement. I installed Infinity speakers that were too big to drop in from the top, So I

screwed them up threw the trunk. I used the same screws that were on the factory speakers:

Do the reverse to put it all back together.

The speakers are 4 ohms while the factory speakers were 2 ohms. It won't hurt the amp to run that way. And this simple speaker upgrade made

the world of difference. I'm not thumping like the guy's that put in showcase systems, but for what I listen to, it sounds great.
One more tip - be careful not to bump the glass if you have window tint. Ask me how I know!
Good Luck

See less See more
#3 ·
Great writeup. My tip for removing the clip on the bolsters: If you use a medium sized wrench vs a screwdriver it works great and will pop it off w/o having to pull on it.

#5 ·
Let me ask a couple dumb questions.
1- If you mounted the speakers from the trunk is the top deck removal necessary?

2- What's the best way to remove clips (without breaking) from the underside speaker cover?

I have a vibration in the speakers somewhere. Either bad speaker or something is loose.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Let me ask a couple dumb questions.
1- If you mounted the speakers from the trunk is the top deck removal necessary? Yes, you'll have to remove the stock speakers from the top.

2- What's the best way to remove clips (without breaking) from the underside speaker cover? I use a panel removal tool. It looks like a very wide flathead screw driver that is bent and is carved out in the middle.

I have a vibration in the speakers somewhere. Either bad speaker or something is loose. Sounds like a loose screw. Or the paper cone is torn.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mongo300cSRTdesign
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.