LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREAT site ! New member looking for some much needed help :sad:. I just fried the Auto trans in my '05 R/T AWD magnum ( yup - second time in 2 years ) LOVE this car and won't give up on it. I have a line on a transmission out of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and was wondering if it is a direct replacement? I have researched the 'net until my fingers are numb and can't seem to find anything that will help with regards to - different output shaft spline / torque convertor bolt pattern difference from 3.6 ltr to 5.7 ltr etc etc.

It doesn't make sense to me to rebuild a 9 year old trans with 120,000 miles worth of internal wear and tear if I can put in a 2 year old trans in it's place.

Any ideas? Am I nuts?

Thanks !

· A SRT was all I could afford. Awesome!
3,529 Posts
I would say the problem is the bolt up the pattern for the transfer case to the transmission. The LXs are the only one who use the combo. You'll have to look for a 05-08 LX AWD transmission and transfer case. In 09-10 they used a electronic transfer case that won't work with the older car although I'm not quite sure about bolt up so the trans may just work on its own. Props for keeping your Magnum and best of luck. I have 122,000 on my SRT and can't imagine getting rid of my car for another, unless it's another SRT.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spent most of the afternoon doing research and you are definitely onto something. It is becoming quite clear that I am going to have to rebuild it or, as you have noted - find one from the same 05-08 platform. I was hoping it would much easier.....but then again, why would anyone expect easy nowadays? Thanks for the input - truly appreciated ! Love the fact you're from Chicago - I'm a HUGE hawks fan ! p.s. - Nice SRT.

· LX Guru
14,159 Posts
Perhaps you can find one from a wrecked AWD. You need to find out what's causing the failures, because the NAG1's are pretty stout. What exactly is failing?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first time it appeared that one of the spools in the valve body had worn itself into the body itself - preventing it from sliding properly. This time were down 1.0- 1.5 litres of fluid without external leakage. Trans is being pulled as we speak. Possible leakage between trans and transfer case...time will tell. I agree though - they are notoriously strong transmissions - but like anything else, have their problem areas. Thanks for the input though, cheers.

· Hemi Reg#1120
5,689 Posts
I had to replace my transfer case 2 years ago and I pulled one out of a salvage yard wreck. The yard wanted to sell me the whole tranny and t-case, but I insisted on only needing the t-case. T-case was out of an 08 to replace my 05. Bolted right up, no issues since.

Sounds like you should look on something like cleveland pick a part http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/ or something similar. You'll be surprised at how many are hanging around in junk yards these days. Any tranny/t-case combo out of a Magnum, 300 or Charger from 05-08 will work for you. Best bang for you buck that way.

· Registered
1 Posts
GREAT site ! New member looking for some much needed help :sad:. I just fried the Auto trans in my '05 R/T AWD magnum ( yup - second time in 2 years ) LOVE this car and won't give up on it. I have a line on a transmission out of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and was wondering if it is a direct replacement? I have researched the 'net until my fingers are numb and can't seem to find anything that will help with regards to - different output shaft spline / torque convertor bolt pattern difference from 3.6 ltr to 5.7 ltr etc etc.

It doesn't make sense to me to rebuild a 9 year old trans with 120,000 miles worth of internal wear and tear if I can put in a 2 year old trans in it's place.

Any ideas? Am I nuts?

Thanks !
Hey where are you at? I have an awd RT magnum ( 06). I JUST put a rebuilt tranny in, when the engine blew. Dropped a seat. Found that the subframe is rusted out, not worth fixing. Looks like we will be yanking the tranny out and selling it. Or does anyone have any idea where i might post the tranny for sale? In BC

· Registered
9 Posts
I too have an awd Transmission from an 06 RT Magnum. I converted my AWD to a RWD so I swapped in a NAG1 and rearend from a 2014 Charger. Tranny is in good shape and before pulling it I had done a triple flush on it to remove any possible water in the Tranny fluid. I am in Texas.

· Praise the Lowered!
1,298 Posts
I too have an awd Transmission from an 06 RT Magnum. I converted my AWD to a RWD so I swapped in a NAG1 and rearend from a 2014 Charger. Tranny is in good shape and before pulling it I had done a triple flush on it to remove any possible water in the Tranny fluid. I am in Texas.
I converted mine also. 3.5 AWD to 5.7 RWD

· Registered
1 Posts
I realize that this is an old post but how do you go about converting from AWD to RWD? We just got an AWD 05 magnum RT and on the way home husband heard a clunk and it wouldn't move even though it was still in drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts