LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
96SS now 06 MSRT8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MSRT8 is in with 4400 miles for a laundry list of issues. See my post where they machined my grooved rotors (help on that post is appreciated)

One of the items was the 1-2 shift hesitation. Both in D and Auto Stick. In auto stick at WOT anything above 5000 RPM I shift the RPM's jumps to 6200 and hits the rev limiter. When I was explaing this to the dealer that it also happens in D he said yea you have a rev limiter and you need to take your foot out of the throtle before you hit it. While in D non the less, these guys think we are all a bunch of idots. I understand that in autostick if I hit the limiter I should have shifted sooner but give me a break having to shift before 5000 RPM is not the way these things were designed.

At any rate they told me there was a flash for this problem and reflashed the car to fix the problem. I don't have it back to see if it did.

My question is there a flash number or version that is the correct one for this problem that I need to ask about? Considering what he did to fix my grooved rotors (resurfaced/machined them) I want to double check this as well. If there is a version do I have to have a StarScan to check what they did or can I do it thru the EVIC?

Hey another thought I don't have a copy of DCI warranty but do they pay for a rental car while yours is in for repairs. They have had mine for 2 days and claim they need it another couple of days. GM has a $35/day allowance.

·
LX Newbie
47 Posts
the reason they machined your rotors was to correct the problem. they undoubtedly had no knowledge of the impending tsb and were honestly trying to satisfy you. when they submit the warranty claim for the tsb on the rotors, chrysler will bounce the first claim when they machined your rotors and the dealer will wind up eating the first repair- .through no fault of their own, the dealer will absorb the first repair because dcx misengineered the original rotors and failed to keep the dealers abreast of changes that could affect their business and their customers. dcx and chrysler dealers are two separate businesses- most dealers are caught in the middle trying to keep customers happy by absorbing costs the manufacturers should be- most manufacturers will not pay claims that are blatant- let alone those that are on the fence- cut your dealer some slack- how do i know? ive been in this business for a major manufacturer for many years at a dealership- roadpig

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
TSB 18-031-05

SUBJECT:​

Flash: Shift Hesitation During Wide Open Throttle​

NOTE: THE StarSCAN must be operating at version 6.01 or higher when the module​

is reprogrammed.

OVERVIEW:​

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control

Module (TCM) with new software.​

MODELS:​

2005 - 2006 (LX) Chrysler 300, Magnum, Charger SRT-8​

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.1L engine (sales code​

ESF) and a NAG1 automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) built on or before
July 25, 2005 (MDH 0725XX).

DISCUSSION:​

Randomly during a wide open throttle condition the engine RPM goes beyond the fuel

cutoff point before the 1-2 upshift is made. This causes a short hard bump at the beginning
of the shift. It is more likely to occur if the vehicle is traveling around 15 MPH and then the
throttle is pushed to wide open (WOT).
This condition is caused by the TCM not being able to calculate the correct engine speed
at which to initiate the shift.​

·
LX Goo'Roo
3,537 Posts
fnkychkn said:
TSB 18-031-05

SUBJECT:​

Flash: Shift Hesitation During Wide Open Throttle​

NOTE: THE StarSCAN must be operating at version 6.01 or higher when the module​

is reprogrammed.

OVERVIEW:​

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control

Module (TCM) with new software.​

MODELS:​

2005 - 2006 (LX) Chrysler 300, Magnum, Charger SRT-8​

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.1L engine (sales code​

ESF) and a NAG1 automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) built on or before
July 25, 2005 (MDH 0725XX).

DISCUSSION:​

Randomly during a wide open throttle condition the engine RPM goes beyond the fuel

cutoff point before the 1-2 upshift is made. This causes a short hard bump at the beginning
of the shift. It is more likely to occur if the vehicle is traveling around 15 MPH and then the
throttle is pushed to wide open (WOT).
This condition is caused by the TCM not being able to calculate the correct engine speed
at which to initiate the shift.​
Interesting. I have experienced this problem a couple of times (once on the street, twice at the track) and my build date is May, 2006.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
Ozzie said:
Interesting. I have experienced this problem a couple of times (once on the street, twice at the track) and my build date is May, 2006.
check with bandit (member name/ not crook :)). pretty sure he's the one that had his flashed by SRT engineers that are working on a fix for the masses.

·
Cruisin in a SRT8 Mag
99 Posts
Per my SRT tech the TCM flash has still not been released as of 7/31..still in the works and I have heard that Bandit does have the "custom" TCM flash on his MAg that was performed during a visit with a factory guy.

·
96SS now 06 MSRT8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from what I can tell all the flash did was lower the shift point in D to around 5800 (that's BS) I still have the problem in auto stick where if I shift at WOT anything over 5000 RPM it automaticlly jump to the revlimiter and cuts out. COME ON SRT ENGINEERS LETS GET A REAL FIX OUT FOR THIS!

·
LX Padiwan
233 Posts
M Taylor said:
Well from what I can tell all the flash did was lower the shift point in D to around 5800 (that's BS) I still have the problem in auto stick where if I shift at WOT anything over 5000 RPM it automaticlly jump to the revlimiter and cuts out. COME ON SRT ENGINEERS LETS GET A REAL FIX OUT FOR THIS!
To me it seems that your problem is different from all the others. I'm sure someone else will pick this, but just to clarify completely...

When you autostick it at WOT on or over 5k rpm, does it
1) hit the revlimiter in neutral while it's selecting the next gear.

OR

2) is in gear and doesn't shift until it's too late and has already hit the limiter.

Hope this helps and good luck.
FrankO

G

·
M Taylor said:
You are incorrect. Also if you have a problem in autostick that is driver error, not the car. In autostick you are in control of the shift, not the car. Yes, the tach will race up FAST after about 5000rpm, but that is not anything unusual for cars with power like ours.

Mine is the ONLY SRT8 that has been effectively programmed to eliminate the 1-2 shift problem. An SRT Engineer flew to where I live and did the work here and I am very grateful and happy. My car now is a more potent creature because of it. After driving a few stock (brand new on the lot) SRT8's over the last few weeks I can tel you that mine is far more powerful and responds much better.

Here is the thread that will entail ALL of the pertinent info you need. BE SURE TO READ ALL OF MY POSTS throughout the thread as I continually updated as things progressed. http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=32047

The 2007 SRT8's will come programmed as mine is (some changes are to be expected) and there will be a FUTURE TSB for existing cars. The TSB that funky listed above is the older, innefective TSB that I had performed initially. I then swapped out for a new TCM and that too yielded poor results.

To this day, about 3 or 4 months after my car was programmed, I have had NO recurrance of the shift problem in "D" at all. It shifts flawlessly.

As an aside, now because this program alters the way the SRT Autostick operates (read thread) mine is much quicker using autostick. Others can back me up here in telling you that ALL LX's are slower in autostick than in "D" at the track, but mine is actually faster in autostick now... and I smile ear-to-ear each time I flog her :)

·
LX Newbie
156 Posts
Bandit said:
You are incorrect. Also if you have a problem in autostick that is driver error, not the car. In autostick you are in control of the shift, not the car. Yes, the tach will race up FAST after about 5000rpm, but that is not anything unusual for cars with power like ours.

Mine is the ONLY SRT8 that has been effectively programmed to eliminate the 1-2 shift problem. An SRT Engineer flew to where I live and did the work here and I am very grateful and happy. My car now is a more potent creature because of it. After driving a few stock (brand new on the lot) SRT8's over the last few weeks I can tel you that mine is far more powerful and responds much better.

Here is the thread that will entail ALL of the pertinent info you need. BE SURE TO READ ALL OF MY POSTS throughout the thread as I continually updated as things progressed. http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=32047

The 2007 SRT8's will come programmed as mine is (some changes are to be expected) and there will be a FUTURE TSB for existing cars. The TSB that funky listed above is the older, innefective TSB that I had performed initially. I then swapped out for a new TCM and that too yielded poor results.

To this day, about 3 or 4 months after my car was programmed, I have had NO recurrance of the shift problem in "D" at all. It shifts flawlessly.

As an aside, now because this program alters the way the SRT Autostick operates (read thread) mine is much quicker using autostick. Others can back me up here in telling you that ALL LX's are slower in autostick than in "D" at the track, but mine is actually faster in autostick now... and I smile ear-to-ear each time I flog her :)
Hi Bandit. I followed your post when the SRT Engineer was with you and have been waiting to hear if the problem was resolved for good. I.E. no re-learning by the ECM or TCM after time. Sounds like it's still performing as well as it was the day it was reprogrammed.

You say you now know that your car outperforms stock 8s because of the new tune. I don't doubt it. I was just wondering if you've had it to the track for realtime numbers?

Sorry if you've already posted about any of this. I'm not on this board much.

Thanks!

Dan

G

·
Unfortunately I have not had any chance to go to the track, but I hope to soon. Not a plethora of venues to choose from up here I'm sad to say.

I am very happy with how it turned out, no re-learning of any sort.

·
LX Newbie
156 Posts
Bandit said:
Unfortunately I have not had any chance to go to the track, but I hope to soon. Not a plethora of venues to choose from up here I'm sad to say.

I am very happy with how it turned out, no re-learning of any sort.
That's ok. I have two tracks that are more than accessible (Englishtown and Atco) and I haven't been to either one. Had the car since January. Go figure.

Well, thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear it's working out. Hopefully DCX will do the right thing when issuing the TSB.

Take care,

Dan

·
96SS now 06 MSRT8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My auto stick problem must be someting new/different, I don't think it's driver error.

I understand that the tach races from 5K to 6.2K really quick. But if I shift at any point above 5K it races to the 6.2K quicker than just leaving my foot in it at WOT without shifting. Leaving my foot in it at WOT till it hits the rev limiter you see a consistant yet fast climb to 6.2K very consistant with the HP and torque curves you see for this motor. If I try shifting at any point above 5K the consistant yet fast climb becomes an instant jump or what would look like a spike in the curve.

·
LX Padiwan
233 Posts
M Taylor said:
My auto stick problem must be someting new/different, I don't think it's driver error.

I understand that the tach races from 5K to 6.2K really quick. But if I shift at any point above 5K it races to the 6.2K quicker than just leaving my foot in it at WOT without shifting. Leaving my foot in it at WOT till it hits the rev limiter you see a consistant yet fast climb to 6.2K very consistant with the HP and torque curves you see for this motor. If I try shifting at any point above 5K the consistant yet fast climb becomes an instant jump or what would look like a spike in the curve.
So this almost answers my question in post number 8 but leads me to two more questions to help clarify this so no conclusions are jumped to.

When it leaps to the rev limiter does it feel the same as if the clutch were shifting if you were in a car with manual transmision or does it feel like it's in neutral?

Also, does it do this between all gears?

·
96SS now 06 MSRT8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess you could say it is almost like pushing in a clutch on a manual.
Good question on the other gears (I don't think so) but I will try it and report back

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
I'm trying to remember the last time my SRT did this... It's been ages. And I've not flashed anything. Weird. I did do a reset with fuse pull, when it was warmed up, about a month or so ago.

·
96SS now 06 MSRT8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well tonight it works fine, I can run upwards of 5800 RPM in autostick and shift with no problems. If I go much higher than that my reflexes are slow and I hit the rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
It's not just your reflexes, but the system's reflexes... I find I have to tell it about 500 rpm before I want it to shift, to go from 1-2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.