LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a pretty basic Charger, 2022 GT. I IMMENSELY regret not getting the “Driver Convenience Group” package. I also regret not getting the “Performance Handling Group” package. (But why do they delete the spare tire with the Performance Handling Group???)

I’m keeping it basic, stock, except upgrading the sound system. The car comes with an alarm, and the “Driver Convenience Group” comes with an enhanced alarm with what they call an “Intrusion Module”, which adds tilt and glass break to the alarm. Now, of course, I could get a complete aftermarket alarm, but I don’t want to do that. The factory system seems pretty good other than the missing “Intrusion module”. I asked if the dealer could add that, and my salesman said no. And if I try to upgrade the alarm at a car stereo place, they will try to give me a whole new alarm which I don’t want. Anybody have any clue on how to just add the “Intrusion Module”? Get the parts off a crashed Charger at a junk yard??? Any clues?

Oh, and the rediculous number of packages they sell is very annoying!!! There are so many possible options that finding a car that actually has the options you want is damn near impossible!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it won't clear the front Brembos in that package.

And side note about the alarm, I don't think it will be an easy retrofit.
Good luck though!
Interesting about the spare tire. But I guess its just academic for me since I don’t have that package. And thanks for the great news about the alarm retrofit :-(

Thanks for at least letting me know. Again, the number of possible options and packages is just absurd. I paid more for the GT than for an SXT (albeit not a lot more…). But it is not an economy car and I think everything in the so-called driver’s convenience package should be stock on it. :-(

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The spare should be available to order with Performance Handling Group. It definitely is on Challenger anyway.

It's a little different with a different option code, check it out.

It fits only in the rear and there's a sticker on the spare wheel that shows it is not to be used on front.

On the Intrusion sensor, if it's like Challenger, it's now part of the rear high mount stop light housing and picks up motion inside the car.

Not sure about how glass breakage is detected.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spare should be available to order with Performance Handling Group. It definitely is on Challenger anyway.
It fits only in the rear and there's a sticker on the spare wheel that shows it is not to be used on front.
Thanks for the info. If you could return cars within 30 days like you can with common goods, I would take my Charger back to the store and exchange it for one with the “Driver Convenience” and “Performance Handling” packages. But, unfortunately, cars don’t work that way. And even if it did, finding one with those specific packages would seem to be difficult.

On the Intrusion sensor, if it's like Challenger, it's now part of the rear high mount stop light housing and picks up motion inside the car.
Let me try to rephrase my original question. Where specifically would those optional sensors be wired into the factory alarm? Does the device that those additional sensors would connect to exist on my car? As in, perhaps there are some terminals on my car that nothing is plugged into but would if I had those additional sensors? And could I use aftermarket sensors to connect to that device? Perhaps I might find the answers if I bought a service manual for the car.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
You can't just wire things in...the computers control it. The programming likely isn't in your computer since it wasn't optioned that way.
However, on a 300SRT8 I had I wired in a DEI shock sensor to the hood wiring pin of the factory alarm. Mounted the sensor in the steering column, ran +12V & a ground. The sensor then triggered the alarm if enough motion was there. It worked well. Never did on the charger cause it's a different animal with the wiring & computers.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the fact that I didn't get the options I wanted because there wasn't any within 250 miles of me with the options I wanted has been gnawing at me. I went back to my salesman today and said, how badly screwed would I be if I ordered what I really want and trade it in? He said he couldn't really say until the day I go to trade it in, and it would take about 3 months to come in. He said I could put down $1,000 non-refundable deposit and if the day it comes in I decide I don't want to take the bath, I'll be out the grand but that's it. So I put down the grand. Here is what I put on order:

RT (I'll need to change my handle, LOL...)
Sinamin Stick color (like I have, I love it)
Nav (I like having a nav independent from my phone)
Harmon Kardan sound. (I've heard it is good and it would save me from putting in my own system.)
Plus Package
Technology Package.

I considered getting the Handling package and the Driver Convenience packages instead of the Plus Package/Technology package. Maybe I should've, but I decided to get the Plus/Tech. It's another case of I can't get exactly what I want. Honestly, I am happy with the cloth seats I currently have and not really certain I want the Nappa/Alcantara seats. But, to get the technology you have to get either the plus or the Daytona. And I do not actually like the Daytona badging/colorations. Maybe I just should have forgone the Tech package and if I did, the Driver Convenience/Handling packages would be closer to what I actually want. I guess no matter what choice I picked I would second-guess it...

Given what I did select, to mostly get the same as the handling package, I could get wider wheels and Brembo brakes aftermarket. The handling package also includes "high performance suspension" and the description says it includes Bilstein shocks. Curious as to how much of a difference the "high performance suspension" makes compared to the regular RT suspension?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
^^^
While that's awesome, I think your sales person is a d-bag.
He could've ball parked the trade in at least and given you a guess-timate without anything in writing at the least.
And the deposit should've been refundable.

They'll probably have no problems selling the car if you pass on it, and then they're going to make an extra $1k on it from your deposit (if you don't get it). Pfft
Just greed

What'd the MSRP come out to btw?

The HK stereo is worth it.
I would've skipped the Navigation though, for $995, since it's slow/sucks....your phone is better/quicker/up to date.
The Plus package is totally worth it! (the seats & "premium" dash are nice!)

I don't think you missed out much on the Convenience Group though, since the Plus package adds most of that stuff already.

I would've traded the Tech package for the Performance Handling though, personally.
1. It's $300 less
2. The tech features aren't that great (IMO)
3. All the stuff in the Performance group are nice additions -- better brakes, better suspension, nicer wheels, flat bottom steering wheel

Congrats though

Side note: I was seeing at least ~$50k or so, trying to build your car. Geez, for an R/T!
Scat Packs used to be in the low $40k's!
And my 2018 fully loaded R/T (audio, nav, plus, sunroof, STP) was ~$44k and they used to have rebates back then, lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the deposit should've been refundable.
Since it was a custom-built order, it didn't seem unreasonable to be non-refundable. But, yeah, they'll be able to sell it if I don't get it.

What'd the MSRP come out to btw?
Yeah, about 50. I don't remember the exact number

The HK stereo is worth it.
I would've skipped the Navigation though, for $995, since it's slow/sucks....your phone is better/quicker/up to date.
The Plus package is totally worth it! (the seats & "premium" dash are nice!)
I don't think you missed out much on the Convenience Group though, since the Plus package adds most of that stuff already.
I would've traded the Tech package for the Performance Handling though, personally.
At least on Dodge's website, if you select Plus Package, you cannot get the Performance handling. Which doesn't really make sense to me. But selecting one unselects the other. I made the assumption, perhaps incorrectly, that if the Dodge website doesn't let you select options together, then you can't order it that way. But maybe that is incorrect. Maybe you can combine options in ways the website doesn't allow., I did not think to ask. Had the website allowed me to select both at the same time, I totally would have done that. I guess I can go ask if not too late.

I like having a separate NAV from my phone, but it might not be worth the grand.

I know that I'm not missing anything by not having the convenience package, as the plus package is basically the convenience package plus extra stuff like the leather seats. It certainly would have been cheaper, and perhaps better value had I got the Convenience and the Performance Handling instead of the Plus/Tech. But since you say the seats are awesome, I feel a little better about the choice I did get.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well if you're coming from a GT....the HK will be waaaay better.

It's no true audiophile system, but it sounds pretty damn good & it's way better than the "base" Alpine system. I never thought I would want it and then my 4th Charger had it and realized I had been missing out. I was not planning on changing out speakers or anything....I only added Dynamat to the trunk/rear shelf area.

I was assuming that you weren't going to be upgrading components though.....especially since you just went from a brand new GT to ordering up a loaded R/T. If that was the plan though, then you probably could've skipped it.
But if you just wanted a better stereo from the Factory, versus the base Alpine, you made a good call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts