Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Standalone tuning

Hi to everyone on here. I don't have an lx but I am looking for a tuner and not having much luck on the truck forums.

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with a 392 (6.1 block) and 8HP70. The trans is running with its own standalone and is tuned already, but I installed a Holley Terminator X system for the motor and I am looking for a good tuner for the engine side of things. The truck runs and drives fine on the base tune/learning, but obviously it needs a full tune.

Satera did the transmission tuning for me but they're pretty backed up right now so its not looking like they will have tome soon to do the ecm. Jay Greene doesn't do Holley systems, and Hemifever didn't even respond to my email. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good tuner?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    NVM, you already talked to Jay lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Reach out to Ryan at frptuning.com / Flyin' Ryan Performance

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Reach out to Ryan at frptuning.com / Flyin' Ryan Performance

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

actually I talked to him before I posted this thread, he is booked solid for the next month. I had sent him another email asking if he could fit me in as I work out of town and I'm only home on the weekends so I would only need one revision per week, but I haven't heard back from him so I assume it's a no-go. the search continues, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyc04 View Post
    actually I talked to him before I posted this thread, he is booked solid for the next month. I had sent him another email asking if he could fit me in as I work out of town and I'm only home on the weekends so I would only need one revision per week, but I haven't heard back from him so I assume it's a no-go. the search continues, I guess.
    Ah damn. I know he has been expanding a lot. Traveling for better dyno tuning.
    What your overall motor combo? Whats your logs look like. Holleys auto tune is damn good for idle/cruise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Ah damn. I know he has been expanding a lot. Traveling for better dyno tuning.
    What your overall motor combo? Whats your logs look like. Holleys auto tune is damn good for idle/cruise.

setup is as follows

392, 6.1 block, 7K rpm
    11.1:1 compression
    longtubes, dual 3 inch, x pipe, no cats
    .600/.600 227/233 114 LSA 110 ICL
    Holley Sniper sheetmetal intake manifold (link below)
    Holley Sniper EFI 820031-1 Sniper EFI Sheet Metal Fabricated Intake Manifold
    92mm cable throttle body
    ported 6.1 heads
    aluminum rad
    ati 15% underdrive and a/c delete
    8HP70 trans w/standalone controller
    4.56 gears

the idle is decent, but startup is a bitch. basically have to start it like it's carbureted. I know it is due to the fact that the IAC position is set to 40% during cranking so it needs more air to fire up. I give it a bit of throttle during cranking and then hold it at around 1200 for a few seconds and then slowly back off the throttle until the computer opens the IAC more and then it idles fine. I don't want to mess with any of it because I would much rather let someone with more experience handle it. the base maps are set rich too, around 13.8:1, and obviously richer during warmup. with no cats, when I run it in the garage (door open, obviously) after a few seconds my eyes are stinging like I got pepper sprayed.

I'm hoping to find a tuner soon so I can get it dialed in so I can beat on it. I have plenty of gauges, but I also did some tomfoolery and got all of the factory gauges to work with the Holley system, which is nice.
    Likes DBL.DWN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What stand alone transmission controller do you have?

I run the Terminator x in my 6.1 Dakota. I have been doing my own tuning. I still need a chassis dyno session for full throttle tuning.

For cold start you can play with temp enrichment and afr offset. The iac parked position has a temp map, mine is 70 cold and 45 hot. You adjust it until it starts how you want per temp as well as
    idle speed vs temp. Under fuel there is temp enrichment and afr offset. Afr offset can command leaner and richer afr than the afr map vs temp. There is also startup enrichment, it gets the initial fire up.

Terminator X has its own forum at Holley.
    Last edited by Glen440; 05-01-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen440 View Post
    What stand alone transmission controller do you have?

I run the Terminator x in my 6.1 Dakota. I have been doing my own tuning. I still need a chassis dyno session for full throttle tuning.

For cold start you can play with temp enrichment and afr offset. The iac parked position has a temp map, mine is 70 cold and 45 hot. You adjust it until it starts how you want per temp as well as
    idle speed vs temp. Under fuel there is temp enrichment and afr offset. Afr offset can command leaner and richer afr than the afr map vs temp. There is also startup enrichment, it gets the initial fire up.

Terminator X has its own forum at Holley.

I have the controller from Sound German Automotive. works great, and I am running paddle shifters with it too.

as far as startup goes, I'm pretty sure the IAC isn't open far enough. I'm not sure if I need to adjust the throttle body and crack the throttle blade a tiny bit. the IAC opens to 100% when stopped and in gear but still idles in the high 500s with a commanded speed of 800.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about using the 8 speed, decided it was easier to stay old for now. My headers are a tight fit and would need to be re-done.

The stock holley tune is not very good. The IAC is supposed to be 2-5% at hot idle in park. You adjust the throttle body till its in range. It gives it alot of control when its cold and in gear. You need to do a tps learn after adjusting the throttle body.

I had an issue with my torque converter lowering the rpm in gear and it could not raise it. You need to pay attention to that. If thats the case it will never idle higher than the torque converter will allow. Mine idles at 650 in gear and I set my IAC at 2% hot in gear. The IAC would go nuts when I wanted it to idle at 750.

I'll post my afr and timing map. I do not know exactly what these engines like. When I get it on a dyno I will see what timing and afr is good. I have not run into detonation. Mine is a little rich up top for now. I have another one that is leaner at cruise.
    AFR

timing

Post Thanks / Like

The stock holley tune is not very good. The IAC is supposed to be 2-5% at hot idle in park. You adjust the throttle body till its in range. It gives it alot of control when its cold and in gear. You need to do a tps learn after adjusting the throttle body.

I had a feeling I had to adjust the throttle body. too many years of DBW!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about using the 8 speed, decided it was easier to stay old for now. My headers are a tight fit and would need to be re-done.

I had an issue with my torque converter lowering the rpm in gear and it could not raise it. You need to pay attention to that. If thats the case it will never idle higher than the torque converter will allow. Mine idles at 650 in gear and I set my IAC at 2% hot in gear. The IAC would go nuts when I wanted it to idle at 750.

I messed with the throttle body today, frick it was like playing 'Operation'. I tried like hell to have it set so the IAC would be 1 to 5 percent at hot idle in park, but even maintaining the commanded idle speed (800) over the course of about a minute the IAC would creep down to 0%. at that point closing the throttle blade just began to interfere with startup. how do I set the IAC to be fully open during cranking? That's gotta help.

as far as the 8 speed, it gets costly but it is worth it. it is amazing for city driving, I'm sure any LX owner on here will tell you the same. night and day compared to the 545rfe. what trans are you running and how tight are your headers? I can send you pictures of the engine and 8 speed if you want to eyeball it, and I can give you some measurements if you want. I'm running deep gears out back (4.56) so I usually don't bother using first gear. first gear along with the 4.56's is basically like driving a diesel truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can command a different idle speed to help fine tune. 0% at hot idle is ok, you do not need the iac when it's hot. If you have AC you can have it raise the idle speed when it's on.

Are you using a PC or the hand held for tuning? I only use the hand held for tps learn and a laptop for the rest. There is an iac parked map based on temp, it's for starting. Iac hold is where it holds up in the rpm so it can catch idle speed.

I'm committed to using a 46rh transmission for now.The issue with the headers would mostly be starter related. I have to use driver side starter.
    I think the Holley headers can use either side.
    If I build another car/truck I will go 8 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can command a different idle speed to help fine tune. 0% at hot idle is ok, you do not need the iac when it's hot. If you have AC you can have it raise the idle speed when it's on.

Are you using a PC or the hand held for tuning? I only use the hand held for tps learn and a laptop for the rest. There is an iac parked map based on temp, it's for starting. Iac hold is where it holds up in the rpm so it can catch idle speed.

I'm committed to using a 46rh transmission for now.The issue with the headers would mostly be starter related. I have to use driver side starter.

I am using my laptop, but Satera is taking care of the tuning. and the starter is on the driver's side on the 8 speed. I have no clearance problems using the Pacesetter truck headers. I can snap some pics if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    My headers are home made. I also have alot invested in the 46rh. If I do the 8 speed some day I can make it fit. I will likely buy one when I come across a cheap one some day.

Here is the IAC parked page, its under idle.

Post Thanks / Like
    My headers are home made. I also have alot invested in the 46rh. If I do the 8 speed some day I can make it fit. I will likely buy one when I come across a cheap one some day.

Here is the IAC parked page, its under idle.

what exactly does the IAC parked value relate to, and what does adjusting it up or down do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast