Thread: ECU VIN change

Post Thanks / Like

LX ECU VIN change

All,

I recently bought and installed a 6.1 engine with harness and ECU. Where would be the best place or method to get my cars VIN into the ECU? Also, does anyone do tunes for stock engines? Maybe just a bit more timing, better throttle response, small tweaks like that? Car is a 2008 Magnum R/T. Engine was pulled from a 2008 Charger SRT8.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it yourself with AlfaOBD or Appcar's DiagFCA.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    I can do the VIN change. I can also reprogram your old 5.7 ECM with 6.1 programming so that you will have a backup. Send me a PM if you are interested. As far as small tweaks go, a Diablosport tuner really wakes these early cars up! You can get used ones on the forum here for pretty cheap. I saw one a few days ago for $150 I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CtCarl View Post
    You can do it yourself with AlfaOBD or Appcar's DiagFCA.
    With alfaOBD? ive had that program for some time and have never seen its ability to do that or change cluster mileage. Which is why i got it originally

when they made me they broke the mold, and beat the piss outta the mold maker....
    You just started reading the sentence you just finished reading...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think either program can change mileage, but I know for sure appcar can change vin's on pcm. Had to do it with mine when I did my nag1 swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimagic5 View Post
    I don't think either program can change mileage, but I know for sure appcar can change vin's on pcm. Had to do it with mine when I did my nag1 swap.
    Ik I’m bringing up a dead post, but appcar can? I’m doing a rt awd to srt rwd6.1 swap

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willhart18 View Post
    Ik I’m bringing up a dead post, but appcar can? I’m doing a rt awd to srt rwd6.1 swap

Yes

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have appcar, but I do have Alfa. On these older PCMs, on an older revision, it could not. Maybe the newer updated version can.

However, you will need more than a vin swap when going from 5.7 RT to 6.1 SRT. The fuel map is different as well there is no MDS nor EGR in the 6.1, but there is in the 5.7. so you will have to turn off MDS and EGR as well as tune it for the 6.1. I don't know if any of those apps can do it. I have never tried with Alfa.
    Last edited by Myckee; 07-10-2021 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Myckee View Post
    I don't have appcar, but I do have Alfa. On these older PCMs, on an older revision, it could not. Maybe the newer updated version can.

However, you will need more than a vin swap when going from 5.7 RT to 6.1 SRT. The fuel map is different as well there is no MDS nor EGR in the 6.1, but there is in the 5.7. so you will have to turn off MDS and EGR as well as tune it for the 6.1. I don't know if any of those apps can do it. I have never tried with Alfa.
    I’m having johan tune it after