Post Thanks / Like

Trans problem: not engaging in any gears

Last week I was entering the freeway in my 06 Magnum RT (145k miles), when I got up to about 60 slowed and entered what seemed like limp mode. I got off the freeway into a parking lot. Shut it off, turned it on, went another 1/8 mile then died. The CEL came on and the codes were P0700 (generic trans problem), P0762 (shift solenoid C stuck on)

The engine runs super strong but regardless of it it's in drive or park I don't hear or feel the tranny engage whatsoever. The car will roll in neutral. The car was warm when it initially happened.

Had it towed to AAMCO. After changing the trans fluid and filter they recommended a rebuilt tranny without doing any other troubleshooting (annoying).

Had it towed home. Removed the trans valve body and tested each of the solenoids hoping that would be the issue, given the P0762. They all tested fine (ohms good, applied power with and without vacuum and they open and close fine). Put it back together with new fluid. No luck.

I'm at a loss for what to do next but I'm all ears for ideas please. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    New conductor plate?
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CtCarl View Post
    New conductor plate?
    Thanks Carl. Does this sound like the conductor plate may be the issue? If asking if I replaced it, no I didn't touch it.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you got back in did you reset the codes with something more than the engine codes? Tcm might store something too

Post Thanks / Like
    Aamco cleared the codes. Nothing has come up since

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the problem I had. Try changing the conductor plate. It's worth a shot and a common problem.

How I saved the transmission in my SRT8 300's! - YouTube
    My 2 Ton Beast
    2007 Black 300 SRT8
    Procharged
    J_Spark Garage YT Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo3...llSevp9qnpN6Q/
    Thanks ChoochG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll give it a go. Looks like I can find the part for $100-200 depending on manufacturer. It's worth a shot, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was there any fluid in the connector?
    13 Chrysler 300S, new build. 6.4 (BGE)4XX stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4
    (Whipple Gen 5 3.0 (ordered 4/21/21)) FORE dual pump return fuel system, Meth injection, ID 1050X inj. MMX 95mm TB

AIT 18% OD pulley, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73 aluminum rad. SRT fans. Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT420V 265/35R22 - 295/30R22

Post Thanks / Like
    None at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoochG View Post
    None at all

A new connector is super cheap. Go ahead and get another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by body80 View Post
    A new connector is super cheap. Go ahead and get another.
    Ordered a new conductor plate and it comes with a new connector with that strange twist top thing too. I'll hopefully install it next weekend. Thanks for all the input, guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well sadly I replaced the conductor plate and plug yesterday with no luck. I got some new codes too: P0657 (throttle actuator supply voltage A circuit open) and P0710 (trans fluid sensor A circuit malfunction).

I'm definitely stuck (again) at what to try next. Tempted to just get a junkyard trans at this point :/.

Any thoughts/tips would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing the trans may not fix it. P0657 to my service manual is solenoid supply voltage circuit. A Nag trans needs voltage to move or shift gears. The valve body doesn't have manual valves connected to shift linkage. It is all electrical. I got into this argument with our Hotline help service. You may have wiring problem of defective TCM.
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'd double check the connector seating in the trans if you had the two o-rings on it make sure it pops in twice all the way, the white / tan twist lock connector should be pretty much right up against the case. When you push the plug in it should be pretty much flush with the white part. Make sure the 9/32 screw inside is only finger tight.

Next behind the driver side knee bolster is your tcm, check all the plugs on that make sure they're seated firmly and there's not any immediate wire damage or anything.

Also yeah since you took out the valve body make sure that the manual shift valve ( the tan thingy that slides in and out on the valve body) has that little cup slid around the shift linkage otherwise it won't work or even shift. I'm not talking about the pin on the detent spring, there's a little 7 mm or so pin on the side of the shift linkage that needs to slip in that slot on the manual valve.

Other than that, I don't think I've necessarily heard of a TCM failing out of the blue like that but it might be worth a try I guess. I would definitely reference the service manual and try the tests in there based off the codes you get after checking those few things if it doesn't help.
    Last edited by Ultimagic5; 05-04-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for the tips guys! This definitely gives me another place to start. Interesting about the voltage... Aamco put a new battery in it because they said it was only charging at 11.7 volts or something. Strangely each time I've fired it up (about 4 times) after this big tranny problem its had to be jump started. I wonder if theres a larger electrical issue at play. I'd better check voltage again.

I do have both those O rings on the connector and I took care to just barely snug it in. I'll make sure the plug is seated. If all else looks ok I'll confirm the valve body is back in correctly.

Thanks again!