Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible Reason For Some of the Wavetrac Failures?

Possible reason for some of the Wavetrac failures could be setup? Just mulling this WaveTrac thing. I know the Getrag swap, I already swapped out my 2.65 for a 3.06 open to open.

About me calling the lash adjustment on the H215/200mm Lax, like The FrankenBerry points out, MOPAR doesn't service the H215 nor does the service manual give specs or procedure on rebuilding it.
    So I looked at the 200MM diff instructions seeing the the Differential housing "Spreader". Damn! Across more than 30 years I have done tons of setup for clearance and pre-load but never seen housing flex factored in to achieve preload.

I have seen a few uTube videos of people just slapping them in and racking the ring gear against an indicator and get happy. I always wondered about the side loading.

In a nut shell you load the unit into the housing with the cones on, slip the cups in getting a snap-ring on one side installed.
    The other snap-ring may not be able to access the groove.
    Then take the slack out of the spreader adjuster and setup a dial indicator on the spreader to the housing @Zero and apply the spreading to exceed no more than a 0.012" spread.
    Install snap ring and let off on the spreader looking for a retained housing spread of 0.007-0.009" for proper side bearing preload using different snap-ring thicknesses if correction is required.

Some may not be side loading properly or at all.

Like I said, "I'm still "Digging Around". Going this route would have me fabricating a spreader because they are not cheap. And I am the resident Machinist OTJ.

Last edited by gapi; 02-19-2021 at 12:18 PM.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.8 PSI, 450hp/459tq, Corsa CatBack, 3.06 Open Diff, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes.

Likes Jim McVeigh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ring / pinion setup traditionally, has always(!) been extremely important to longevity, even from years and years ago. Setup requires patience and very careful measuring. Noise during operation has also traditionally been a pretty good indicator of a problem.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-19-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Jim McVeigh, gapi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Chrysler doesn't give service parts for the Getrag either- other than seals. Unitrax in Cal. has bearings and diff clutches though. I used that same spreader when I put 323s in the 210.
    Likes gapi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Copy that thanks.
    Another thing I bet some neglect is even with the side pre-load being setup correctly to get proper ring/pinion backlash and not take away from pre-load you have to keep the same amount of shim thicknesses involved.
    Example, if you have a .005 snap-ring on each side totaling .010, and need to move it over .002, you decrease to .003 in that direction and increase to .007 in the other. Some may be just doing one side adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    You may already have the updated axles.
    Thanks, Just found out you are correct. The 2009 Challenger R/T manual trans shaft upgrade was from the 27 hub spline hub axles to the 32 which I already have.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have been doing the math between the Wavetrac and Getrag including shipping and the labor performed by me.
    Being sufficiently over 150k miles on the original hubs and axles with the upgrade to an LSD I want new axles and hubs regardless which one.

With all new parts its within $50.00! Either way. Dang....... Going Getrag there is no differential building, just swapping. And I still have the open 3.06 to fall back on or sell later.
    Even better if I find a used Getrag and refresh the clutches. But I am Leary of getting burnt.

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me a while to find a 3.73 Getrag - and the clutch was fried. So either way your go its the same. Your current rear should last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did GKN acquiring Getrag effect quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear end came from a wrecking yard. 6spd Challenger with 5.7

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeh, I just did a search on car-part .com and seen some LSD diffs designated for cars that shouldn't have em but gonna call on a few to see. I worry about getting one that sat for years with half the ring gear not in the oil collecting condensation and pitting. Then you get a WWWWWW noise. So yeh I'm kind of wary of a salvaged unit. I'll look though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first rear end I got was wrong, not even a Getrag. But they refunded my money. Next one was VIN matched so I knew I got the 3.73 Getrag, 5.7 Challenger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12