Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Wouldn't a bound transfer case do this?
    Going tomorrow to a shop to talk about this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    05 Magnum AWD SXT Hemi Swap
    instagram.com/hemisxt



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see a better pic of one of the damaged inner joints... From what i can see it looked like the inner Plungimg joint was being over extended. This could be a mount issue, suspension bushing issue on even a subframe shift issue. Lets see some better pics of those inner joints.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny H View Post
    I would like to see a better pic of one of the damaged inner joints... From what i can see it looked like the inner Plungimg joint was being over extended. This could be a mount issue, suspension bushing issue on even a subframe shift issue. Lets see some better pics of those inner joints.
    I would but they have gone back as core returns so I don’t have them. In the meantime I took apart my front differential and.... nothing. Everything was good.







    So with all that I’m putting in this newish transmission.





    Rear wheels only.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southport, CT
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, sorry to hear about your axle woes, but thanks for posting this info for everyone. This might be a dumb question, but I figure I'll throw it out there; if there's no binding on the transfer case differential side, is it possible there was binding on the wheel side? By that I mean could there be binding on the wheel hub that could have caused the axle to snap?

    As far as converting to RWD, are you planning to keep all of the AWD steering, front suspension, and brakes intact?
    Last edited by Rottyfan; 04-05-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    2006 Black Magnum RT AWD - Sidewinder Cam * Ported Heads * Edelbrock Shorty Headers * Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back * SLP Dual-Wall tips * Volant CAI * Diablo Trinity * Johan Tune * KW V2 * 2013 Dodge Charger 19" AWD Wheels *

    2010 Black Jeep Commander Limited
    Thanks pursuitlx thanked for this post

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it staying off the lower control arm mount?
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to see this Rob.
    I'm thinking of the same to convert my awd to rwd.
    However, parts are so hard to find here in Switzerland. Especially an SRT to get the part from.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottyfan View Post
    Hey, sorry to hear about your axle woes, but thanks for posting this info for everyone. This might be a dumb question, but I figure I'll throw it out there; if there's no binding on the transfer case differential side, is it possible there was binding on the wheel side? By that I mean could there be binding on the wheel hub that could have caused the axle to snap?

    As far as converting to RWD, are you planning to keep all of the AWD steering, front suspension, and brakes intact?
    No dumb questions man... I'll take any and all. As for your question- I thought about that but all the CV joints on the inboard side broke. Wheel ends have been fine.

    The conversion- I kept all AWD cradle, brakes and suspension. I'll tackle that later on down the road. I can get engine cradles all day long at the local auto wreckers so that's on the to-do list.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
    Is it staying off the lower control arm mount?
    It was, yes, as far as I could tell.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    glendale az
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Rob, I hope you find root cause. I hope you don't mind - but I'd like to point something out to the rest of the readers...

    Given the vehicle had operated nominally for an extended period of time without issue, one failure of this magnitude should have prompted an investigation to find out why.
    Failing that, a second failure in quick succession would make finding root cause - mandatory.
    A third(!) failure in quick succession is foolhardy, with previous proof the same exact event was pretty-well a guarantee.
    A forth is, well...your backyard mechanic's license should have been revoked after the second failure :^)

    For everyone; do not, repeat do not, simply throw parts in place of broken ones without(!) determining why it failed in the first place.


    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
    The root cause of breaking inner c.v. joints is improper angles, they break very quickly in fact. Im not sure if his motor mount are collapsed paired with the fact he is already stressing them with the lowering kit but angles is the cause, he just needs to find the culprit. Is the subframe correct for the setup he has? Has he changed the mounts recently? Are the mount degraded and sagging allowing the entire powertrain/axles to hang down lower than they should. Some pieces of the puzzle need to be put together here... I noticed in one of your photos looks like you have one bolt coming thru the subframe bracket into the engine mount??? It has a fresh mark on it like it has shifted or been off recently, can you explain whats going on there?, might have weight in this matter...
    Last edited by circ1977; 04-08-2019 at 02:14 AM.
    Likes SCOTT57RT liked this post

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points. Did my hemi swap two years ago and everything is solid. I’ve been lowered for 10 years and nothing like this has happened. The subframe and mounts are correct, and like I said- absolutely everything has been 100% solid for years now but one day out of nowhere...

    Either way I took all that nonsense out and converted to RWD. I’m very happy with my decision.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    13,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by circ1977 View Post
    The root cause of breaking inner c.v. joints is improper angles, they break very quickly in fact. Im not sure if his motor mount are collapsed paired with the fact he is already stressing them with the lowering kit but angles is the cause, he just needs to find the culprit. Is the subframe correct for the setup he has? Has he changed the mounts recently? Are the mount degraded and sagging allowing the entire powertrain/axles to hang down lower than they should. Some pieces of the puzzle need to be put together here... I noticed in one of your photos looks like you have one bolt coming thru the subframe bracket into the engine mount??? It has a fresh mark on it like it has shifted or been off recently, can you explain whats going on there?, might have weight in this matter...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsSXT View Post
    Good points. Did my hemi swap two years ago and everything is solid. I’ve been lowered for 10 years and nothing like this has happened. The subframe and mounts are correct, and like I said- absolutely everything has been 100% solid for years now but one day out of nowhere...

    Either way I took all that nonsense out and converted to RWD. I’m very happy with my decision.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And there's the rub; Rob's Magnum has been lowered for years - without a single axle failure. So the premise the axles were being stressed doesn't hold water.

    What root-cause is we'll likely never know...
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •