Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gjdpk View Post
    At this moment I have no leaks, no ECU codes, and it shifts into reverse and drive great. It takes off in drive great but still doesn't shift out of 2nd. You can feel the car sort of pull back when it's time to shift into 3rd, almost like it's trying to but it wont. According to the manual it still feels like it's in limp mode.

Also, according to the manual, it looks like if the TCM has a code in it, no matter if I fix whatever issue triggered it or not, it will never clear on its own nor go out of limp mode until you use a scan tool to clear the TCM codes. An like ' Hemissary ' said earlier an like I'd found out with investigation, the Torque Pro nor BlueDriver will do TCM codes. So now I'm trying to figure out my next step. The local O'reilly's Auto Parts says their code reader / scan tool will clear TCM codes but since it's 8 miles away an I can only drive 15 to 20 miles an hour I don't really want to drive down there if it will not clear TCM codes.

Any thoughts?
    I'd be surprised if the O'Reilly unit will dig deep enough into the Seimens (Mercedes)-based TCM. As I understand it, TCM codes require a level of connection to apps that Chrysler licenses to for example StarSCAN / MOBILE back in the day and more recently WiTECH. Worth a try; I'd suggest first calling them and really getting them to convince you their unit (what is it btw) have indeed accessed and cleared level II DTCs.

The alternative is a 1hr charge at a Dealership to connect.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Only higher-end Snap-On and similar pro scanners will look into many ancillary systems like BCM and TCM. I might visit the local O-Reilly's and ask to see the scanner make & model, do a little homework on the mfrs site and see if it is likely to work. Absent that, I would recommend a slow drive to the dealer.
    2005 Magnum R/T *sold* Now:2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack M6 B5 Blue
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. The guy at O'reilly's said it was a Bosh OBD1300. The Bosh website has a list of this device's features and one of them is " Enhanced Engine and Transmission Codes ". Not sure what all that entails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eased down to O'reilly's. Their Bosh OBD1300 read and cleared TCM codes. Had a code of P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio. Cleared the code. Drove it down the street.

NOW it shifts fine from a stop all the way to 4th gear. It goes into 4th but after about 2 seconds the car feels as if someone pulled back on the car and is goes back to 3rd, engine light comes on, Torque Pro showes code. Went back to O'reilly's. Same code. Cleared it. Drove it again. Same thing. I went on and drove it home this time.

I can do the manual shift. I shifted from stop, in 1st, through to 3rd with no issues. I shift into 4th and again, after about 2 seconds or so it feels like a giant gently pulls the car back and it shifts back down to 3rd. I drove it have shifting manually from 1st to 3rd with no issues, up and down.

So now what?

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is reverting to limp mode. You didn't by-chance install a differential with a different gear ratio (or grossly mismatched F / R tire sizes)?

You need to utilize the Factory Service Manuals we all have the luxury of downloading and follow the diagnostic process for that DTC.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-08-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    The transmission is reverting to limp mode. You didn't by-chance install a differential with a different gear ratio?

You need to utilize the Factory Service Manuals we all have the luxury of downloading and follow the diagnostic process for that DTC.
    No, didn't install a diff. While I had it in the air, I had new tires installed on my Viper replica 22's and I put those on during this process. So when I first ever took it off the jack stands and drove it after the fluid / filter change, I had those wheels on it. They do not have TPS in those wheels. So I don't know if that caused an issue. I have since taken those back off and reinstalled my factory SRT8 wheels that DO have the TPS in them to see if that would make a difference. No change.

Just to clarify though, I've had those Viper replica wheels on the car most of the time since 2010 and never had an issue other than with them on, my TPS dinging at me every now and then.

Where do I access the Factory Service Manual? I have searched for them several times over the last couple of months and have not found them. I've found a few threads that have a link to some sort of manual but it always take me to a FCA site that requires a user login and it appears to be a pay for service site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gjdpk View Post
    No, didn't install a diff. While I had it in the air, I had new tires installed on my Viper replica 22's and I put those on during this process. So when I first ever took it off the jack stands and drove it after the fluid / filter change, I had those wheels on it. They do not have TPS in those wheels. So I don't know if that caused an issue. I have since taken those back off and reinstalled my factory SRT8 wheels that DO have the TPS in them to see if that would make a difference. No change.

Just to clarify though, I've had those Viper replica wheels on the car most of the time since 2010 and never had an issue other than with them on, my TPS dinging at me every now and then.

Where do I access the Factory Service Manual? I have searched for them several times over the last couple of months and have not found them. I've found a few threads that have a link to some sort of manual but it always take me to a FCA site that requires a user login and it appears to be a pay for service site.
    The new tires - they are the same diameter (actual) as what you replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep

Post Thanks / Like
    K, that eliminates the obvious. Note the following is general (you need to drill down further). In the Service manual you will find under the section shown bellow associated DTCs (eg P0731 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5).

P0730-INCORRECT GEAR RATIO

For a complete wiring diagram
    Refer to Section 8W

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) constantly calculates the transmission ratio based on the input speed sensor

1 and 2 (N2-N3) signals and the calculated output shaft speed. The intent of this diagnostic is to detect if the

transmission is trying to mechanically shift into a lower gear then the TCM intends.

²
    When Monitored:

Engine RPM greater than 450 RPM, output speed greater than 180 RPM, no N2 - N3 input speed sensor

errors present, no gear selector lever errors present, no ABS system errors, and all wheel speeds above 450

RPM.

²
    Set Condition:

No shifting operation and detected gear is not the actual gear. No shifting operation - detected (calculated)

gear is less than actual (expected) gear, no plausible gear is calculated, actual turbine speed - calculated turbine

speed is greater than 300 RPM or calculated transmission ratio is above threshold. During an Upshift -

detected (calculated) gear is less than actual (expected) gear. During Downshift - detected (calculated) gear is

less than actual (expected) gear.

Possible Causes

INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the NAG1 Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 -

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Determine if there are any Transmission mechanical problems present.

Remove the Transmission Oil Pan and inspect for excessive debris or a plugged Transmission Oil Filter. (Refer to

21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1/FILTER - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Is there any Transmission mechanical problems present?

Yes
    >> Repair internal transmission as necessary per the Service Information. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/

TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - REMOVAL)

Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/

TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No
    >> Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals for corrosion,

damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems

are found, replace the TCM per the Service Information. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC

CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE - DESCRIPTION)

Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/

TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the response and the detailed information. Also, I did find a link to a service manual. Hopefully tomorrow I will make time to look into this further.

Post Thanks / Like
    So something I did at the same time I had the car up in the air while changing fluid/filter was I changed out my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I forgot about doing this but didn't think it would be an issue. I did this because for about the last 4 years the car periodically exhibits the symptoms of a bad crankshaft position sensor, and one time it triggered an engine light that when checked specified this sensor. It's never been a henderance and it would require pulling out the starter thus I put it off till now. So I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with the issue I'm having.

Went ahead and rechecked fluid at temp (detected with Torque Pro) again today. Spot on. Crazy how good it drives in reverse and manually shifting from 1 through 3rd. It goes into 4th smoothly and stays for 2 - 3 seconds and then drops back to 3rd and engine light comes on.

I've dropped the pan twice now and all looks good. So no to diagnostic check 1. The connections at the TCM connectors look good as well.

It worked great before the service so I don't understand why the TCM may be the issue, replacement. I thought about seeing of a shop would perform the TCM adaptation procedure. I called one of the local dealership service departments. The guy had no clue what I was talking about. Talked to the service manager. He had no clue either, but urged me to bring it in so they could go through it, troubleshoot it for me. I asked him if they'd ever had to work on or replace an LX body tranny, a NAG 1 tranny or a TCM and he said no. I said you've never had to do this and don't know what a TCM Adaptation Procedure is which is found in the Dodge service manual but you want me to bring my car to you to troubleshoot; no way bud.
    Last edited by gjdpk; 11-09-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Likes agoristmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe anyone has suggested the TCM is a fault. However it is the brains; as such if it has (electrically) failed internally, then yes it could be root cause. There is a plethora of potential root cause, everything from shift solenoids, trans PCB, connector interface, etcetera...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123