Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
    What other mods do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
    I don't mind. It's a 16 GoMango R/T blacktop edition fully loaded with sunroof. AFE Momentum intake, 392 intake manifold with MSD timer, Hellcat exhaust manifolds and downpipes with 200 cell high flow cats, Diablosport tuner and unlocked PCM, Solo cat back exhaust, 3.09 LSD rear, Hellcat replica wheels, 275's all around, Mopar performance lowering springs, full SRT body treatment, Tazer, badging set up like a 69 Charger, tinted windows and taillights. I think that's it.
    Last edited by Mangoman; 03-16-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangoman View Post
    I don't mind. It's a 16 GoMango R/T blacktop edition fully loaded with sunroof. AFE Momentum intake, 392 intake manifold with MSD timer, Hellcat exhaust manifolds and downpipes with 200 cell high flow cats, Diablosport tuner and unlocked PCM, Solo cat back exhaust, 3.09 LSD rear, Hellcat replica wheels, 275's all around, Mopar performance lowering springs, full SRT body treatment, Tazer, bading set up like a 69 Charger, tinted windows and taillights. I think that's it.
    Oh wow...that's more than a "few" mods, lol

PM sent
    2018 Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like there are two (axle) seals, driver & passenger outlet, that could be replaced.
    I just bought a low mileage used 3.09 LSD unit.....I'm gonna guess it'd be worth the $10 (for the two seals) to swap them out?

And I assume just pry or use a pick tool to pull them out & then lightly tap them in (after a little lube on the rubber) with something that is roughly the size of the new seal?

The parts I'm seeing/referencing are:
    68084192AA & 68084193AA
    ^^bump

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^bump
    Personally I’ve had no issues with any of the seals. I’ve been back and forth between the 3.09 and the 3.70 a few times. Also haven’t heard of any one having bad seals. But if it’s only a few bucks to change , maybe it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    Personally I’ve had no issues with any of the seals. I’ve been back and forth between the 3.09 and the 3.70 a few times. Also haven’t heard of any one having bad seals. But if it’s only a few bucks to change , maybe it’s worth it.
    That's kind of my logic here. As opposed to having a issue later & then having to take everything back out over the $10 in seals.
    I'm assuming they can just pull out from the outside & new ones slide in...that's my only concern

Post Thanks / Like
    Last question....I can (pre) fill the diff before install, right?

It's a used unit, and I was gonna change out the fluid before installing it

Post Thanks / Like
    Last question....I can (pre) fill the diff before install, right?

It's a used unit, and I was gonna change out the fluid before installing it
    Gonna make it heavier. Make sure the fill plug can come out before you drain the unit! New seals may not be a bad idea. Also make sure you don't over fill it or you'll blow out a seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna make it heavier. Make sure the fill plug can come out before you drain the unit! New seals may not be a bad idea. Also make sure you don't over fill it or you'll blow out a seal.
    A new unit comes pre-filled anyways, right? (and it's only just over a quart of fluid, lol)
    I have the new seals already.
    I've definitely seen the tip on checking the plugs too, thanks.
    And fill it, while it's level, until it just starts weeping out the fill hole

Post Thanks / Like
    A new unit comes pre-filled anyways, right? (and it's only just over a quart of fluid, lol)
    I have the new seals already.
    I've definitely seen the tip on checking the plugs too, thanks.
    And fill it, while it's level, until it just starts weeping out the fill hole
    That will be over filled. It's supposed to be either 1/8 or 1/4 below the fill plug. Trust me when I tell you do not over fill it or you will blow out a seal. I filled mine as you started till it just ran out and the car was sitting in my driveway which turns out isn't level where it was parked. I blew the passenger side axle seal and had to replace it. Almost blew the pinion seal too but thank God the axle seal went first! The driveshaft tunnel under the car above the pinion seal was coated in what resembled a white lithium grease that was pushed out due to my over filling. I opted to pull the passenger side axle to replace the seal rather then drop the diff again. Brand new rear and my dumbass blew out a seal! God I was pissed at myself! After the first qt it's only a couple more oz that it needs, I HIGHLY recommend measuring it out and avoiding fill till it drips out method at all costs.
    Thanks snobrdrdan thanked for this post
    Likes snobrdrdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That will be over filled. It's supposed to be either 1/8 or 1/4 below the fill plug. Trust me when I tell you do not over fill it or you will blow out a seal. I filled mine as you started till it just ran out and the car was sitting in my driveway which turns out isn't level where it was parked. I blew the passenger side axle seal and had to replace it. Almost blew the pinion seal too but thank God the axle seal went first! The driveshaft tunnel under the car above the pinion seal was coated in what resembled a white lithium grease that was pushed out due to my over filling. I opted to pull the passenger side axle to replace the seal rather then drop the diff again. Brand new rear and my dumbass blew out a seal! God I was pissed at myself! After the first qt it's only a couple more oz that it needs, I HIGHLY recommend measuring it out and avoiding fill till it drips out method at all costs.
    That sounds unusual since the diff is vented, any expansion due to heat should just vent out and no pressure should ever build. Maybe checking the vent function should be done. I've always topped til it dribbled out and never an issue and thought the below the fill hole recommendation was a fuel economy thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
    That sounds unusual since the diff is vented, any expansion due to heat should just vent out and no pressure should ever build. Maybe checking the vent function should be done. I've always topped til it dribbled out and never an issue and thought the below the fill hole recommendation was a fuel economy thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    No idea about the vent, it's there and I swapped over the little hose with the vent cap check valve and it was working just fine. Dodge was going to refund me for the seal but it was under $3.00 so I wasn't too worried about the cost. All I know is I replaced the seal, drained the diff, re-filled it and left out some and it's ok now. I was told by one of the Dodge techs it should be under the fill plug by an 1/8 to 1/4 or it'll blow a seal. I said the same thing about the vent and he just shrugged and said he didn't know what to tell me but I'm not the first one to have that happen from over filling it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alrighty then....thanks for the tip!

So when you replaced the new seal, what'd you use to install/push/press it in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys recommend new OEM driveshaft bolts, or just reuse the OEM ones with some blue loc-tite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gently taped it in till flush then used the inner card board tube part of a roll of masking tape and taped it in the rest of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the factory pink bolts with blue loctite. So far so good. Just put my factory driveshaft back in for a road trip. I’ll do the same method of blue loctite on the DSS shaft when I put it back in as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13 Durango R/T
    13 M6 Challenger R/T
    02 M5 Dakota QC Sport
    91 TKO 600 Dakota CC
    63 Dart 3 on da Tree

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123