Post Thanks / Like

NAG1 transmission fluid level tool question

I have a question. I know the NAG1 does not have a dipstick to check fluid level and you need a special tool to check it along with knowing what the transmission temps are. My Aeroforce Interceptor reads trans temps and I have a copy of the fluid level chart.

I know Miller makes a tool part #9336A. It's a little pricey and here's my question on this. I looked at RockAuto today searching for some parts for my ride and stumbled on this tool from Dorman (9336)

2007 DODGE CHARGER Dip Stick / Tube

Has anyone used this tool? And how does it compare to the Miller tool?

I can't see paying $60 for a tool(Miller Tool 9336A) that I might use a few times for the life of my car and the Dorman one is $15 plus shipping.
    2007 Charger R/T, 5.7L - Mods: BT Catch Can, Predator 91 Oct CAI Tune, LMI True Cold Air V2 intake, JBA 1964SJS Shortie manifolds, Trubendz Magnaflow exhaust

My Garage

Hemi Registry #1609

Post Thanks / Like
    if you have a ruler that does MM you can use anything as long as it bottoms out in the pan.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

[email protected]
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 70mm is where it should be at if you do what Hemi31 said but not 100% sure
    16" Challenger ScatPak

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 4 foot Zip Tie from Home Depot or Lowes Electrical Aisle
    East Coast Road Racing Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377583362497085/ NA with a lot of suspension mods/SRT Max Plus Cam/Forged Push Rods/600HP Half Shafts/Magnaflow Hiflow Cats, Corsa Cat back/ Dave Weber Polished Ported Intake Manifold, HHP Installed Wavetrac/NASCAR Cooling Ducts to ET1970 3" Brake Plates/TI (Track) Backing Plates/ AERO Hood/Naturally Aspirated Force Flow Legmaker CF-F-III, Zygote Forgestar F-14's wrapped in Continental Extreme DW Tires, coming soon BFNY-Sublime NAG-1 modified with custom converter HemiTuner tweaked HHP DynoTune: Trinity 93 Octane 428 RWHP/408RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like
    go to the hardware buy 4ft of 14awg nmb wire, find a ruler with mm on it and you have a dipstick to keep in your garage. make sure you check the end going into the tranny to make sure nothing is going to come off (sheathing, paper ect).

Post Thanks / Like
    So just to report back. I looked at my local Home Depot and Lowes to find they did not have any 4' zip ties. Closest they have was 3' and I was not sure that would have been long enough. Searching around online I found that NAPA carries a similar tool to the Dorman and Miller tool. So I called up my local NAPA store and they sell the same tool as Rockauto for a a little bit more than what I would have paid for the Dorman tool and shipping. So I got the tool locally. Bought the dipstick tool for under $30. Which a hell of a lot cheaper than the Miller tool. The NAPA tool has measurements every 10MM for accurate measurement. Measures from 10MM to 120MM.

Here's the NAPA part# if anyone is interested or needs one: 6051677

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Mindslayer; 02-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a 3 foot zip tie. When you insert it into the tube, it will only stick out a few inches, versus about
    a foot if you use the 4 foot long one. It will work just fine.

I use a 3 foot one. You want to place your marks on it, from the bottom, at 63mm, 70mm and 77mm. I used
    a black sharpie to make lines all the way around the zip tie at each mark.

63mm is the lowest you want the tranny fluid when the engine/transmission is COLD, as in the car has been sitting
    over night. 77MM is max is should be when the engine/transmission is HOT, as in you just got done driving it
    around for an long period of time. 70mm is where it would be when the engine/transmission is at normal operating
    temperatures, which means not cold and not too hot.

The zip tie I have is white, its 3 feet long, and is about 3/8 of an inch wide, and a little over 1/16 thick. This
    has worked out great for me, and is thick enough so it does not bend easy when it contacts the bottom of
    the tranny pan, and just wide enough to fit into the dipstick tube.

You should be able to access any factory service manual for your year car to verify the proper depth of the
    tranny fluid versus the different operating temeratures. The numbers I have shown are for my 2005 300C
    with the 5.7 Hemi.

Jim
    Last edited by CJ7VFR; 02-18-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Drive to survive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input man. I have a copy of the shop manual for my car and have the fluid chart with the readings of where the fluid level should be at what temp. I didn't know if the 3ft zip tie would be long enough. So instead of messing around with buying them and it might not be long enough, I just went with the NAPA tool which I believe is just a rebranded Dorman tool like Rockauto has. Reqardless, my fluid level was right around 67MM after driving it around for awhile and getting the car warmed up. So it appears to be spot on. My Aeroforce gauge read the transmission temps around 158-160 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7VFR View Post
    You can use a 3 foot zip tie. When you insert it into the tube, it will only stick out a few inches, versus about
    a foot if you use the 4 foot long one. It will work just fine.

I use a 3 foot one. You want to place your marks on it, from the bottom, at 63mm, 70mm and 77mm.

63mm is the lowest you want the tranny fluid when the engine is COLD, as in the car has been sitting
    over night. 77MM is max is should be when the engine is HOT, as in you just got done driving it
    around for an long period of time. 70mm is where it would be when the transmission is at normal operating
    temperatures, which means not cold and not too hot.

The zip tie I have is white, its 3 feet long, and is about 3/8 of an inch wide, and a little over 1/16 thick. This
    has worked out great for me, and is thick enough to it does not bend easy when it contacts the bottom of
    the tranny pan, and just wide enough to fit into the dipstick tube.

You should be able to access any factory service manual for your year car to verify the proper depth of the
    tranny fluid versus the different operating temeratures. The numbers I have shown are for my 2005 300C
    with the 5.7 Hemi.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    '06 INFERNO RED SRT-8 OPTION GROUPS I,II,III
    MODS -KOOKS LT's w/HIGHFLOW CATS, JBA FULL 3 INCH CATBACK, PRO TORQUE 2800, SHR CMG-1 CAMSHAFT, PAC RACING VALVE SPRINGS, 12000K HIDs IN PROJECTER HEADLIGHTS, 12000K FOGS, R1 CONCEPTS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS, CUSTOM GAUGE CLUSTER, CCW 505a WHEELS, NITTO NT05 275/40 ON THE FRONT AND NITTO NT05R 315/35s ON THE REAR, SHR VIKING, D1SC STAGE 2, 3.55 RICHMAND GEARS, SLP LINE LOCK, TUNED BY EPG 3 AT SOUTHERN HOTROD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is measuring 70mm after 20min of driving and while running. I am assuming that you should be measuring it at idle in park.

Jay

Sent Via Tapatalk. So ignore the wrong Auto-Corrects.
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old topic, but I've recently had the displeasure of dealing with the temperature ordeal. Well a cheap everstart volt meter 10709 comes with a temp probe . I think it was 20$ . No need to spend 15$ on a meat probe that you cant use for anything else .

Share This Thread