Post Thanks / Like

ride quality BC raing coilovers

i bought a 06 300 srt a few months back as a insurance rebuilder (lower control arm, tie rod and fender damage) i have just puttered away on it and its driveable now. I see it has BC racing coil overs. its pretty low. i drove it up and down my driveway and its way rougher than my one ton truck. is this a normal aftermarket coil over thing or just because its so low?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably both. I would see if there is a stiffness adjustment at the top of the shocks. Usually a small allen key will work, and you can adjust from stiff to soft that should help

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome. ill check that. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    They're probably adjusted wrong too. Just delt with this on my daughters Caliber SRT4. The previous owner put them on and the car was slammed. I've never delt with coil-overs before and the internet sucks so I had to teach myself how they needed to be set up. 1st you want to jack the car up on jack stands, The wrenches are cheap from BC so get a set if you don't have them. Pray that the shock bodies don't have any corrosion on them or you're likely going to be replacing parts. Now use the wrenches and see if all the lock rings turn. You might have to use a small punch and hammer to loosen them if the previous owner put them on too tight. Once they're loose and free raise the body of the shock up in the spindle so you get maximum ride height on all 4 corners. The spring seat ring should just be touching the spring at this point. NO PRELOAD! Measure the length from the top of the shock body to the upper mount with the shocks at full extension and write it down. Ok now the easiest way is to probably set some jack stands under the ends of the suspension and lower the car without wheels down onto them so the weight of the car is on the springs. Now set the preload on the springs so that you have 2/3's of compression travel of the total travel of the shock shaft distance you measured with it fully extended. Now your preload is set correctly no matter how many youtube videos you watched that say otherwise. Tighten the lock ring to the lower seat ring using the wrenches ONLY! Do not use a punch to tighten them further. You'll never get them apart if you do and they don't need to be that tight. Now you can set your desired ride height by turning the shock bodies in the spindle housings to lower the car. Remember that if you draw a line from the inner lower a-arm mount to the ball joint on the spindle you don't want that angle to point upwards towards the outside of the car. If it is then the car is too low and messes with the camber curve when you turn or hit a bump. Now align the car and adjust the knobs for stiffness.

My daughters Caliber was slammed, the pre-load was set so stiff the the shocks were at full extension all the time. Sure it would go around smooth corners but it rode like crap and scrapped everything. Now it's maybe 1" higher and rides so much better. There's a set of rail-road tracks here I couldn't go more than 10mph over. Now I can hit them at 35 and the car just goes right over. It still takes corners with zero lean too. It's like a little go-cart with a smooth ride. I had to replace a rear shock and some of the lock rings because they had tightened them too much, bottomed the shock bodies out in the housings, and with a little corrosion even clamping them in a vice on one in and holding them in the spindle head on the CNC machine with a 4ft pipe wrench on it couldn't break them loose. I had to machine off the lock rings on one. The other was beyond saving it was so bad. So the rings just have to be snug. They won't come loose if you use the wrenches.

Really I was super dis-appointed with the BC's until I got them adjusted correctly. Now that they are I'm going to get a set for my magnum.

Post Thanks / Like
    great info!! ill tear into this thing soon

Post Thanks / Like
    So standard issue BC Coilovers are tuned for a nice ride, even with the damper setting cranked to max (they come with pretty mild valving and spring rate) that's why you call them and customise them to your application.

I would first look to see how low the car is and if its riding on the bump stops. If its riding on the bump stops it will ride like garbage and bounce you all over the road.

If the car was owned by someone for stance, they might have even stacked bump stops (or worse, washers).

Preload should only be set to around 10MM, your not going to gain anything if you go more, unless you have a progressive spring rate, you will only loose suspension travel. (preload is always a highly debated topic) so I would check yours and reset it.

Check the spring rates, then look and compare them to what bc's website has.

Other than that. raise it to a reasonable ride height as these cars run into all kinds of geometry issues slammed (unless that's your thing)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenSunnyD View Post

Preload should only be set to around 10MM, your not going to gain anything if you go more, unless you have a progressive spring rate, you will only loose suspension travel. (preload is always a highly debated topic) so I would check yours and reset it.

Preload should be set so there's 2/3's bump travel to 1/3 rebound with the weight of the car on the springs. The spring rate is linear so there is no change to the handling via the spring rate by cranking the "preload" up, But if you're hitting the end of travel wether or not it's the bump stop or the end of the rebound travel then your handling takes a hit. The wheel has to be able to follow the ground. If it's getting squished into the ground from compression bottoming or if it's in the air because you have no rebound then your "preload" is wrong. The "preload" is only get the strut travel to be in the correct location with the weight of the car so the suspension can do it's job.