Post Thanks / Like

broken bolt in front sway bar bushing bracket

Hi everyone! I did some front end work to resolve some clunking and the car pulling to the right. I had to get tires a couple weeks ago and the mechanic said one tie rod was bad so that pushed me to do this sooner rather than later, as I have a tendency to procrastinate, lol. Anyway, I replaced the inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. Everything was Moog Problem Solver parts except the bushings which were Mopar bushings from the dealer. The car has 232,000 miles and the previous owner must've lived or drove down a dirt road because that dirt is everywhere. I really expected problems with removing the steering parts but my 1/2" impact zipped all the bolts right off and was finished with both sides in a couple of hours. However, figuring that replacing the bushings would be the easiest part of the job turned out to be completely wrong. One bracket had two different bolts which seemed odd. I took one bolt out and it was may 3/8 inch long but it didn't look broken and I thought...wow, that is odd, never seen that before. I shine a light up there and it looks like something jammed into the hole and I stick a 1/4" drill bit through there which broke immediately, with very little turning pressure. Now I'm thinking I've got a big problem right? Then I stick a small screwdriver through the top and the broken drill bit part falls right out. So I start drilling with small bits working up to bigger sizes to clean the hole out to retap it, or go the next size larger. Everything works out OK, and I run down to the hardware store and get 5 M10x1.50 class 9 flanged bolts. I only needed one but you never know what's going to happen and I still have to take apart the other side. I rethread the hole and the bolt goes in and tightens up, no problem and I'm happy, and even more relieved that what could've been a huge problem was averted...

I move over to the other side and it looks like it should, I zip the bolts out and they look like factory bolts and I'm thinking this side will be no problem. I change the bushing, get it lined up, start both bolts on the bracket and using my little 1/4" impact to gradually bring both sides up finger tight. I switch over to my ratchet to tighten and a bolt breaks off...smh...and now I'm in trouble, but hey, I have easy outs! lol. I get my grinder out and grind the surface flush and drill a hole in the broken bolt...goes ok and I put a regular easy out in there and I can't get the broken bolt to turn. I don't want to put a lot of force on it because I don't want to break an easy out in there. Then I remember I have this set of new and improved PRO easy outs that look pretty good. I get it in there and start to turn and SNAP! immediately breaks off in the damn bolt. Now I'm ****ed, lol. I grind it smooth but my drill bits aren't even trying to drill into this now, just spins and spins and spins. I tighten up the other bolt and there's about an 1/8" gap on the other side. I take the car for a ride and surprisingly, the clunking seems to be completely gone.

I still have to do something so any ideas on how to get that broken bolt out? I'm about ready to take it to my buddies and have him mig weld that bracket right to the frame.

On another note, I am really mad that there doesn't seem to be quality tools anymore. drill bits and easy outs shouldn't break as soon as you apply force..where do you guys get some stuff at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work replacing the parts so far. got a picture of the broken bolt?
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    sway 1.jpg

sway2.jpg

Thanks,

The two dimples are my attempts to drill it and the drill bit walks to the edge of the easy out.

I was talking to my buddy, he suggested welding the inside of a nut to the broken bolt and turning it out that way. Another suggestion was to get it hot and use a dremel to cut a slot into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sarchin View Post
    Thanks,

The two dimples are my attempts to drill it and the drill bit walks to the edge of the easy out.

I was talking to my buddy, he suggested welding the inside of a nut to the broken bolt and turning it out that way. Another suggestion was to get it hot and use a dremel to cut a slot into it.
    I’ve heard of people welding a nut on a stud before, so that should work....Well, either idea really. Have you tried a very small carbide bit though one of those dimples? You might be able to start small and work your way bigger. I think WD40 would be good to use to break up any rust if you get something you can turn it with. That stuff works wonders. That might help you get it out easier (unless you’re relying on friction to grab and turn it of course).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to work on it this weekend. I work midnights and I started working on it as soon as I got home and it was 3 pm by the time everything was cleaned up/put away, so I was a little tired lol. I don't have a carbide bit but they should be easy enough to get. The bolt originally came out easy enough, didn't feel much resistance though I was using that impact wrench. Usually a broken bolt comes out fairly easy unless it's bottomed out. At least there are a few methods to try and I'm not as screwed as I thought I was.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you’ll be able to get it. Good luck. Follow up with what worked

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums