Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Took a Chance on Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 Tires 275/35r20

Hi All-

My '06 Charger SRT8 needs new tires...after 4 years my B.F. Goodrich 275/40r20 Comp-2s have some serious dry rot.

Coin's a little short, so I had to shop around... I found a good deal on a set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s 275/35r20 for $425. I figure it'll cost me another $80 - $100 to have the tires mounted and road-force balanced.

I know the Firehawks aren't the best performance tire out there, but shelling out $800+ for a set of tires isn't in the budget. I'll lose a little on roll-out since the Firehawks stand at 27 - 27.5" as opposed to 28". I measured the sidewall and it's roughly 14mm lower than the Comp-2s, which accounts for the difference in tire height. I suspect the lower sidewalls will stiffen the tires so they may not hold corners as firmly. Anyway, the Firehawks will probably be a good compromise, given what I paid for them.

Feedback is welcome.
    Last edited by richierevs; 05-14-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They have those tires in 275/40/20, then your diameter will be back to stock. 35 series all the way around would make for a pretty rough ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran 275/35/20 in the Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tire and they were a nightmare until they got really warm. They handled horribly, they were unpredictable, but once warm they did alright so long as you ran low pressures and didn't push them hard. I just picked up the Indy 500s in a 275/40/20 for $762 out the door (got a 15% discount for applying for the Firestone credit card) and honestly they are a damn good looking tire and a much better performer than the Continental were.

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    I ran 275/35/20 in the Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tire and they were a nightmare until they got really warm. They handled horribly, they were unpredictable, but once warm they did alright so long as you ran low pressures and didn't push them hard. I just picked up the Indy 500s in a 275/40/20 for $762 out the door (got a 15% discount for applying for the Firestone credit card) and honestly they are a damn good looking tire and a much better performer than the Continental were.

Galactus hungers...
    I would have gotten the Indy 500s if I had the coin... That was my limiting factor, unfortunately...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    They have those tires in 275/40/20, then your diameter will be back to stock. 35 series all the way around would make for a pretty rough ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Understood, the 35 series will likely be a rougher ride than the 40 series...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richierevs View Post
    I would have gotten the Indy 500s if I had the coin... That was my limiting factor, unfortunately...
    I know how you feel, a lot of guys run the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and 4S which is honestly what I want, but I could manage $800 for a set, $1,400 for a set is a no go on my best day.

Galactus hungers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Were Nittos not in the equation? Not expensive and imo great tire for the coin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    Yes, Nittos were considered... out the door a set of 4 Nittos would have still cost over $800.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I must've had a defective set, because the one set of Nitto tires that I have ever had were utter crap, they turned into rollerskates anytime I even looked at a curve.

Galactus hungers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Nittos were considered... out the door a set of 4 Nittos would have still cost over $800.
    True, I have a few "connections" being from the tire biz so I think with 275 F 295 R I spent 680$. And to Tiki, I've ran 4 sets on 4 Diff cars and had nothing but great experiences. Back in my 350z days, anyone with 400hp or needed to run Toyo R888s(outRAGEOUS prices back in that day idk now) but lemme tell ya my NT555s(305/35) did just fine if it was about 80 degrees. And Currently 555G2s have been wonderful. Plenty of tread, no road noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    True, I have a few "connections" being from the tire biz so I think with 275 F 295 R I spent 680$. And to Tiki, I've ran 4 sets on 4 Diff cars and had nothing but great experiences. Back in my 350z days, anyone with 400hp or needed to run Toyo R888s(outRAGEOUS prices back in that day idk now) but lemme tell ya my NT555s(305/35) did just fine if it was about 80 degrees. And Currently 555G2s have been wonderful. Plenty of tread, no road noise.
    I think we all need a friend with tire connections...and I don't know what the problem was, but on my old R/T bone stock the 275 Invos on the rear were all over the place.

Galactus hungers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a quick update...

I had the Firehawks mounted yesterday and as expected the tire height is 27". I adjusted the air pressure to 32 psi all around to soften the ride. The Firehawks appear to sit solidly on the SRT rims. Ride comfort is very good. Spirited cornering is crisp and confident, which I partially attribute my suspension mods (Eibach sway bars, KW coil-overs, Mopar/Razor strut tower braces (front and rear, respectively)). Overall, it was a decent purchase.

Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    I think we all need a friend with tire connections...and I don't know what the problem was, but on my old R/T bone stock the 275 Invos on the rear were all over the place.

Galactus hungers...
    only ran the NT555 so no comment
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a quick update...

I had the Firehawks mounted yesterday and as expected the tire height is 27". I adjusted the air pressure to 32 psi all around to soften the ride. The Firehawks appear to sit solidly on the SRT rims. Ride comfort is very good. Spirited cornering is crisp and confident, which I partially attribute my suspension mods (Eibach sway bars, KW coil-overs, Mopar/Razor strut tower braces (front and rear, respectively)). Overall, it was a decent purchase.

Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate the feedback.
    Break em in several hundred miles before making up your mind, please let us know how they do.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like

LC

I have them in the OEM sizes below for my 2010 SRT

· Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/45R20 103W XL - Tire Cat: SKU: Firestone012853; Service Description: 103W (2) FRONT
    · Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 275/40R20 106W XL - Tire Cat: SKU: Firestone012921; Service Description: 106W (2) REAR

Im happy with it...!

Way more grip/traction compared to the F1's...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast