Post Thanks / Like

Brembo brake piston rapidly engaging/disengaging

My front driver's side brake caliper seems to have at least one, maybe all of the pistons slapping out when applying the brakes and slamming back in when letting off the pedal. It's mostly noticeable when at a stop light, every time I push the pedal and let off it does it. Is this a caliper going bad, or would something else be causing this?

Just did the Brembo swap on my '05 300c. Had a heck of a time getting them bled, and after the last time bleeding them, it started doing this. I need to bleed them once more yet, which I'm going to do tomorrow. They're probably at about 90%, they no longer sink to the floor when I press them, but if I give them a little pump right before stopping, they grab considerably better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlikely a piston popping in and out, are you sure the caliper hasn't come loose? Sure glad my upgrade didn't give me a hard time, half pint of fluid and mine are good. Had an ex Chrysler tech friend help me though.
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans. Complete 4 piston Brembo upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Unlikely a piston popping in and out, are you sure the caliper hasn't come loose? Sure glad my upgrade didn't give me a hard time, half pint of fluid and mine are good. Had an ex Chrysler tech friend help me though.
    It's definitely the brake, at least it sure feels like it anyway. If I'm just barely creeping in my driveway, I can keep tapping and releasing the brake pedal and it will stop it completely when it happens, and you can feel that the driver side front is locking up. It only locks when barely moving.

I did jack it up and take the wheel off to have a look at it, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I checked all the bolts and nuts and everything was still tight and right. I did however discover that the wheel bearing is starting to go out. There's some minimal wobble in it, and when you spin it quickly forward and backward there's some slop in it. Gonna change it out this week.

Is it possible that maybe a piece of dirt or something got in the caliper and is causing this? As much as I've blead then the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if something got in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just thinking, it's possible that both front brakes are doing this and it just feels like it's the driver side because that's where I'm sitting. Would a bad master cylinder cause this? I'm going to have a friend drive the car in the parking lot at work tomorrow and I'm going to try and watch to see if I can see what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be a downer, but if you have a bad wheel bearing(s), you will never get those brakes to act right.

I've replaced more than one wheel bearing when the customer came in and said "My brakes are not working right".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Likes JD323, Hemihackman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    May want to consider ABS.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the suggestions guys!

I changed the wheel bearing tonight, and while that was definitely needed, it didn't solve the issue I'm having. I did however figure out that it's not a brake caliper making the noise. I had my wife move the car back and forth in the driveway tonight so I could try and figure out what it was. After quickly figuring out that it wasn't the brakes, I thought it might be the ABS module. I got my stethoscope out and checked a couple of places including the ABS, calipers, master cylinder, and strut towers. None of them were making the noise.

It's really hard to hear outside of the car due to the fans running, but it almost sounds like it's somewhere near the center underneath the engine, possibly loose r & p? It's way louder inside the car. I'm gonna crawl under it tomorrow and figure it out, will update with what I find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pull the fan relays for a moment and listen for it again...

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a video this morning showing what the sound is. I'm only barely creeping in the parking lot at work. Could this maybe be a sway bar bushing or something similar? I crawled under and briefly looked at the r & p just to make sure it wasn't loose, and it wasn't, nor was anything else that I could see or briefly shake.

Chrysler 300c noise when braking - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Figured it out! I set my phone on the ground and recorded a video going over it. Ended up being a control arm bushing! I'll link the video after it's done uploading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duplicate
    Last edited by JD323; 03-19-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad we could help. lmao

Sent via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    Glad we could help. lmao

Sent via Tapatalk
    The suggestions were very much appreciated!! Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like
    It goes by twice, first one is around 0:25, and the second 1:25.

2005 Chrysler 300c strange knocking sound solved! - YouTube