Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    No damage from that tool, but a pickle fork will tear the boot.

You'll need a good shop, to replace the lower ball joint, in the control arm.

Trust me, on this.

Bob

Lux Technologies - LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also get the ball joint out of the knuckle by hitting the side of the knuckle with a decent sized hammer, right where the bolt goes through. You might have to hit it a few good whacks, but the ball joint will pop out.

I learned a long time ago, if I'm not replacing the ball joint, I don't hit the bolt....even with a nut on it.

I swing a Harbor Freight short handled 4 pounder at front end parts ;-) I don't have to swing very many times lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Thanks diboblo thanked for this post
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I think I’ll pass by autozone and rent a ball joint separator. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally finished removing the entire front suspension. It was a PITA. Made auto parts and harbor freight runs several times. Decided to remove knuckle so I can have a local shop install new ball joints.

Question, do I need to lubricate the bushings on the lower control arm? Also, on my exisisting tension strut (front lower control arm), how do I know if and when lubricant needs to be added thru the grease fitting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a similar ball joint tool to the one that diboblo shows is available at Harbor Freight for like $20. It's the best way to separate ball joints without wailing on them with a 5 lb sledge. Yes, the ball joint is pressed into the knuckle. Last time I looked a new knuckle is like $700, and it won't come with a ball joint already pressed in. Best bet is to have a shop remove the old ball joint and press in a new one. Note, Harbor Freight also sells a ball joint press, but it will NOT work on these ball joints. You need a special adapter to press out the lower ball joints on the LX suspension, most shops have it. Also note there is a C-clip retainer on the bottom of the ball joint that needs to come off so it will press out, be sure the shop installs the clip on the new one. Most ball joints don't have the extra keeper and the tech may not realize it's needed. Goes without saying, ball joint replacement is not easy on these cars, so buy the best ones you can afford.
    2005 Magnum R/T *sold* Now:2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack M6 B5 Blue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12