Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AMG 8 Piston Caliper Upgrade, now with Hellcat rotor

I finally got on the front 8 piston AMG calipers on my 2006 300c SRT. I always wanted a BBK but never could justify the cost. I saw a few other members undertake this and with their guidance, it came out great.

I found a pair of not very aesthetically pleasing calipers on ebay, knowing I would paint them:

I then painted with VHT Silver Caliper paint and their clear. I wanted to match the rears as close as possible. The VHT went on pretty good, but it required a heat cure. After the cure the clear coat yellowed a tiny bit. I wet sanded and put on the decal and the yellowing is not really apparent. Maybe a blue decal would bring out more of the grey and hide the yellow a bit, if I can remember from a color theory course in college. I placed the decal over the clear so it can be removed and replaced in the future.

Installed caliper on 14.57" (370mm) rotors from a 2014.5+ Charger Pursuit. I also polished the longtubes while I was there.

With wheel installed:

Matches the rear, close enough:

Install was pretty straightforward but still was a whole day job. I also added SS lines while I was there. I took off the old caliper and rotor, replaced the brake line with new SS line and placed a 3mm spacer behind the new rotor. This is needed to center the rotor in the middle of the caliper. My spacer didn't lay flush against the hub so I had to re machine it on the spot, that was the only time consuming roadblock.

After that, I had to grind a bit of lower knuckle to clear the new larger caliper. Then the rotor goes on and the caliper bolts right in to the stock location with stock bolts. I installed the pads, bled the lines and went for a test drive. It was underwhelming, the pedal felt a bit weak and had a long travel. With brand new pads and rotors, I didn't want to push it too hard. After the test drive I noticed two of the bleeder screws on the passenger side were leaking. I tightened them and went for another test drive and the pedal felt much better. I ordered new bleeders just in case but the second time out was much better.

It feels about the same as the stock 4 pistons now. I plan on bleeding the rears and fronts next week and I will update once the pads and rotors get to know each other a little better. I then plan to do a full bed in a few hundred miles.

If the feel doesn't improve, I wouldn't care too much since the stock ones were pretty good. This was mainly a cosmetic mod for me so any braking improvement will be welcome but I wont be disappointed if not.

Hellcat 390mm (15.4") rotor added, see page 14:

Last edited by BM_SRT; 07-13-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 305/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Benjamin, you said you were done modding and I knew there would always be something else.
    There's a great powdercoater up by you and does a great job everytime I have something done. Incase you decide to have the paint redone at a later date. ArmorTech is the powdercoater.
    06 Chrysler 300c 5.7, Grip Grille With Emblem Deleted, DS 93 Oct CAI tune, Borla ProXS Mufflers, Resonators Deleted, C&L CAI, BT EGR Delete, Speedlogix Oil Catch Can With S-Mount, 180 TStat, Tranzformer, MTCM, SRT8 3.06 Diff, SLK55 AMG Diff Cover, Mercedes AMG Diff Cooler, 2010 R/T axles and hubs, BC Racing Coilovers, SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms, SRT8 6spd Engine Mounts, SRT8 Steering Wheel, Mercedes S63 AMG Paddle Shifters, Paddle Jaak Hack Wiring Kit, Mopar Stainless Pedal Kit, 2012 Challenger SRT8 Interior Door Pulls, LED Low Beams, Fog Lights and Indicators. Mopar Hidden Hitch.
    Thanks BM_SRT thanked for this post
    Likes sparky392 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuqing awesome!!!

TorRed 2007 Charger R/T, Hemi Registry #1060 (Totaled 4/10/2015)
    Brilliant Black 2010 Charger SRT8
    Appearance: CBD CF SRT8 Hood
    Performance: AirRaid CAI, Custom Tune by Johan, Corsa Xtreme, Inertia Premium Big Valve Heads, Inertia SRT MAX and Kooks LT headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry4TQHP View Post
    Looking good Benjamin, you said you were done modding and I knew there would always be something else.
    There's a great powdercoater up by you and does a great job everytime I have something done. Incase you decide to have the paint redone at a later date. ArmorTech is the powdercoater.
    Thanks, I think now I'm done! This would be a good mod for you considering your connections. Just out of curiosity, do you know why AMG went from the 8 piston to the 6 on their fronts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Eventually I'd like to install a set of the 6 pot WK2 calipers on my 300.

2006 300SRT8
    SOLO Performance Mach X3 SRT exhaust / LMI V2 True CAI / Eibach Sways / StreetEdge coilovers / Trufiber hood / AMG paddles w/TRS300 wireless controller / Grant Revolution steering wheel / Arrington strut bar / BT engine bling incl. uni-strut caps / Rohana RC-10's / Kaption Audio amps, sub and speakers / Interior switch lighting by Diboblo / Instrument cluster by Black Cat Automotive and Tim Stone (TRS300) / StopTech SS brake lines
    Thanks sparky392 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
    Nice! Eventually I'd like to install a set of the 6 pot WK2 calipers on my 300.
    These larger rotors may work with that setup also. Let me know if you need a part #. There is a solid oem option and a slotted Stoptech that I went with.

I was going to pull the trigger on that WK2 setup but I wasnt 100% a fan of the bracket which relocates the caliper. Im also not a fan of the spacer behind the rotor with my setup so I chose what I thought was the lesser of two evils, but not really based on any qualified engineering opinion.

Last edited by BM_SRT; 10-02-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd wonder if the lack of performance increase is due to the master cylinder not being up to the job? If someone had the specs on fluid displacement of those calipers vs. stock, that would probably answer the question.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
    Likes KStryker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I'd wonder if the lack of performance increase is due to the master cylinder not being up to the job? If someone had the specs on fluid displacement of those calipers vs. stock, that would probably answer the question.

Richard
    I'm sure thats part of it, since these are designed as a system with all of that in mind. I should be able to coax out some more initial bite from another fluid flush and bedding, but I think the real gains will be from sustained and repeated braking at higher speeds.

Last edited by BM_SRT; 10-02-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took it out for a third trip and its getting better each time. Pedal is much firmer and I can feel the extra power with less effort. Im starting to think its just the new pads and rotors working themselves in.

Theres not much initial bite, but the stock ones didnt really have much either. Bedding and another fluid change should help. The pad could also play a role.

Much like added torque, it feels like it effortlessly and powerfully scrubs speed without working very hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you should do a bed in and that will make them exponentially better. I've also been told about getting a more powerful master cylinder when doing a BBK like this. You do that and you may need a five point harness to keep you in your seat when braking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM_SRT View Post
    Thanks, I think now I'm done! This would be a good mod for you considering your connections. Just out of curiosity, do you know why AMG went from the 8 piston to the 6 on their fronts?

My guess as to why they went from 8 - 6 pot, maybe due to cost, weight and going away from the SBC system.
    Even with my connections they'll be expensive, at least you have big enough wheels already and I would need to buy a bigger set.

Oh and I think I have enough AMG components on my car for now lol.
    Last edited by Hungry4TQHP; 10-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry4TQHP View Post
    My guess as to why they went from 8 - 6 pot, maybe due to cost, weight and going away from the SBC system.
    Even with my connections they'll be expensive, at least you have big enough wheels already and I would need to buy a bigger set.

Oh and I think I have enough AMG complements on my car for now lol.
    Yeah I forgot about the wheels. I wasn't even sure if my wheels would fit, although I knew the Magnum SRT wheels did. I did one side at a time just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    A larger bore mc will improve pedal feel but lower the pressure. Making you have to work harder. Somewhere I had the info on these from a guy years ago, can't find it any longer.

Overall however a mc change won't make more or less braking...just how you achieve it. The SRT cars have the larger bore mc of the two already (RT vs SRT) so you may b forced to either live with the feel or see if perhaps a larger one is in a related platform.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
    * MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang * Custom work* ...and more
    !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    A larger bore mc will improve pedal feel but lower the pressure. Making you have to work harder. Somewhere I had the info on these from a guy years ago, can't find it any longer.

Overall however a mc change won't make more or less braking...just how you achieve it. The SRT cars have the larger bore mc of the two already (RT vs SRT) so you may b forced to either live with the feel or see if perhaps a larger one is in a related platform.
    Thanks for the info, definitely something to think about, but I think a good bedding will greatly improve the initial bite, after that, it feels pretty good!

Any tips for changing bleeders while the calipers are mounted and full of fluid? Im trying to figure out the best way to minimize the chance of fluid ruining the new paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does bedding in the brakes really work/last on a street driven vehicle? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on it, but it seems like very recently I read about this from someone way more experienced - in fact I think it was right here on LXF.

Anyway I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trashing your upgrade. I do think they should perform better and I believe you'll find that performance with time and probably some more experimentation with components. And they look tough as hell!

Richard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread