Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larksville, PA
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Recommended CAIs

    When I had my 2006 R/T I had an AFE intake I loved.

    I was wondering, what intakes are currently offered for the 6.4 that are good or recommended? They appear to have doubled in cost (if not more), for the AFE, so I was wondering what other options people have that they enjoy?

    I'm not expecting a power increase, but I like the sound of the open intake.
    21 Charger Scat Pack Widebody
    99 300M - Beater, airport lot park mule, snow tired beast 219k



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomguy View Post
    When I had my 2006 R/T I had an AFE intake I loved.

    I was wondering, what intakes are currently offered for the 6.4 that are good or recommended? They appear to have doubled in cost (if not more), for the AFE, so I was wondering what other options people have that they enjoy?

    I'm not expecting a power increase, but I like the sound of the open intake.
    I run a Legmaker on my 5.7. definitely made it sound better!

    1949 International KB2, 302/T5
    1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
    2016 Dodge Durango Limited
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

    Oh Drat! Racing

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're trying to run record times just buy a hammer and custom fit it to your oem box. You can even plumb the bottom with PVC pipe and an air duct like I did to create my own OEM cai

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boca Raton, fl
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think most of them should be named "Hot Air Intakes". Seems they just suck in hot engine bay air.
    Last edited by coanan; 06-04-2021 at 10:56 PM.
    13 Chrysler 300S, new build. 6.4 (BGE)4XX stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4
    (Whipple Gen 5 3.0 (ordered 4/21/21)) FORE dual pump return fuel system, Meth injection, ID 1050X inj. MMX 95mm TB

    ATI 18% OD Balancer, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI (SRT83380)2800 stall, Trans by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73 aluminum rad. SRT fans. Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT420V 265/35R22 - 295/30R22
    Likes Hemissary, jdm7, punisher69 liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larksville, PA
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the reason I liked my AFE was because not only did it have a shield so this didn't happen, the shield fit my fiberglass hood perfectly, so it was a direct CAI.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    4,491
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Mod for My 2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody.

    In early August I ordered a LMI 392 True CAI for my 2020 Charger Scat pack Widebody. About 10 days ago it arrived at my doorstep. I called Stage 6 Motorsports and set up an appointment for an install and before and after dyno tests. Thursday I took the car to Stage 6.

    The install wasn't without some cutting modifications, which took a little longer than they thought. Maybe the area under the engine bay is different on the widebody Charger than the standard Charger.

    The before dyno Max Power results were: 433.93 HP, 433.81 TQ
    The after dyno Max Power results were: 444.50 HP, 456.25 TQ

    This is the first performance mod on my Scat Pack (no tune, yet)

    The power increase was much more than I expected, but I am not complaining. I had not noticed IAT values before the LMI install, but do see between 4 and 7 degrees difference in IAT values and the car's outside temperature values.

    I measured surface area of the stock air filter and the LMI filter:
    Stock filter - 88 sq.in.
    LMI filter - 120 sq.in.

    Maybe there is less pressure drop across the LMI filter. It does seem that the stock filter has maximized its filter material per square inch of cross-sectional area. Without pressure drop analysis, I can't say which filter has the lowest pressure drop at operating flows.
    Terry

    2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody
    Likes 2005rtmag, Tomguy, CruzKing, Renfrick1 liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Save your cabbage...CAIs are a myth.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larksville, PA
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomguy View Post
    I'm not expecting a power increase, but I like the sound of the open intake.
    (Insert comments of people pooping on CAIs and completely disregarding the original post - including people who clearly have CAIs)

    I am not going to get the LMI, because you need to cut. I'm thinking about the AFE with the Pro Dry media (I had the Pro Dry on my 06 R/T). I just can't bring myself to cut a brand new car like that, even if it's not going to "Affect" anything other than the appearance of an area nobody will notice. I'll know, and it'll bug me. Although admittedly the gain of 20 lb-ft of torque is clearly not just a dyno / run discrepancy, it's too large for that.
    Last edited by Tomguy; 06-05-2021 at 09:32 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomguy View Post
    (Insert comments of people pooping on CAIs and completely disregarding the original post - including people who clearly have CAIs)

    I am not going to get the LMI, because you need to cut. I'm thinking about the AFE with the Pro Dry media (I had the Pro Dry on my 06 R/T). I just can't bring myself to cut a brand new car like that, even if it's not going to "Affect" anything other than the appearance of an area nobody will notice. I'll know, and it'll bug me. Although admittedly the gain of 20 lb-ft of torque is clearly not just a dyno / run discrepancy, it's too large for that.
    ​Then WTF did you ask for advice?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larksville, PA
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, I should've known better than to ask for open advice on the internet and expecting owners of CAIs to tell me if they like them and would recommend them. I remember why I left this forum now.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomguy View Post
    You're right, I should've known better than to ask for open advice on the internet and expecting owners of CAIs to tell me if they like them and would recommend them. I remember why I left this forum now.

    Everyone who responded - gave you their best two cents...

    We understand though; real advice that doesn't jiive with what you wanna hear can be really tough to absorb.

    Now that you've made it clear that noise is what you're after...buy anything but a real / functional cold air intake...especially an AFE :^D
    Last edited by Hemissary; 06-06-2021 at 01:08 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post

    Everyone who responded - gave you their best two cents...

    We understand though; real advice that doesn't jiive with what you wanna hear can be really tough to absorb.

    Now that you've made it clear that noise is what you're after...buy anything but a real / functional cold air intake...especially an AFE :^D
    It's funny as hell when people ask for advice, don't like the advice that was given, then get pissed off when someone calls them on it.

    Oh well, better to be pissed off than pissed on.
    Likes Hemissary, GTSDart340, MopaR/T liked this post

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since this went totally south….!??

    LoL!

    Can anyone who had the Mopar CAI setup tell me if their kit came with a parts diagram? I would like to replace the foam seal that goes around the top of the “heat shield” but can’t find the part number, since Ma Mopar won’t break down the kit that far.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Charger R/T ScatPack

    “SYLVIA”



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only bought a JLT because I got a good deal on it from a buddy. Otherwise I would've just modded the factory box, or another factory box.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MopaR/T View Post
    Well, since this went totally south….!??

    LoL!

    Can anyone who had the Mopar CAI setup tell me if their kit came with a parts diagram? I would like to replace the foam seal that goes around the top of the “heat shield” but can’t find the part number, since Ma Mopar won’t break down the kit that far.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-ima...31c13427a0.PDF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •