Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Simon, vanilla CAI's are a myth... Now, if the question was about ram air and velocity stacks, there's a lot of good advice and info on that topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sir!! Recommended CAIs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Charger R/T ScatPack

“SYLVIA”

Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    well this turned out to be quite an informative thread.... for anyone need a diagram lol
    Likes snobrdrdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    why do most vendors call their product "cold air intake" when they pull air from the same place the stock one does?? that is a waste of $$$ except for a change in sound, but not worth the $$$ imho.

LMI true cold air intake does draw air from a different location and it it much cooler than drawing from under the hood.

I have seen a 1/4 mile drag run with a stock intake and the same car 30 minutes later do a run with a LMI True cold air intake . I would not believe the difference if I wasn't helping Renfrick with the install at the track. Ask Kevin to re-post his experience at the track.
    several tenths and that was after the air was getting warmer while the LMI install. He had the cut out done before the visit to the track. LMI True Cold Air Intake is just that. I got one and love it.

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 101.32 @ The Rock 4/19
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Dyno’d a half ton Dodge with a Magnum V8 with a K&N FIPK. Fancy marketing for a “Cold Air Intake” if that’s before your time? LoL!

But I had taken the factory airbox as well just to see if there was any difference.

Been roughly 15 years ago now, so can’t remember specific numbers, but that CAI made a difference. Some. Not what was claimed, but better than the factory, draw air from the passenger fender airbox.

However, the only way that K&N setup achieved it’s claimed increases was without the cone filter.

Made multiple passes on all setups. OEM, K&N and K&N no filter.

Problem is, you can’t drive daily without that cone filter in place and that AirTube into the throttle body would almost ingest birds, stray cats, and children in crosswalks.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who remember the '70's and 80's when unleaded gasoline was introduced and the octane values were set were they are now, some of us with old-school carburetors who were looking to cheaply boost octane and cool the air/fuel charger toyed with a water/alcohol injector system like the one from Edelbrock. I used this system on a 1979 Ford Mustang Turbo with good success. The Edelbrock system had a vacuum-controlled atomizer that would spray the water/alcohol mixture directly into the top of the carburetor. In effect, directly cooling the air/fuel charger. The link below is a reincarnation of that product which now directly sprays a water/ethanol mixture into the so-called CAI. The introduction of this mixture greatly increases the density of the air charger for modern EFI systems. I'm not advocating using this system, only pointing out that the air charger needs to have its density increased by some mechanical means, like a water/ethanol mist.

AEM Performance Electronics Water Methanol Injection System Evaluation - MotoIQ
    Last edited by richierevs; 06-10-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cold air intakes work in theory, but often fail in execution - looking cool but not really pulling in colder air. The LX production air induction system (AIS) is a cold air system - it pulls air from down by the tire. Depending on your year and model, under the air box is a tube with resonators for NVH tuning that is down and away from the radiator. For the hellcat, they took it a step further and took out a headlight, punched a hole in the air box, and stuck a tube between the two to get more air in. So, in general, aftermarket CAI aren't a big improvement over the stock item for our cars.

So why do so many CAI fail in execution? They need to be both lower in restriction and pull air from a lower temperature area. Engineers spend a lot of time modeling & measuring temperatures and pressure deltas and air paths to find a good spot. Aftermarket parts LOOK like they are better, but often aren't verified - is that air cleaner less restrictive? is that bend smoother? is that material absorbing heat? where does the wash of air from the radiator go when you are moving at 60 mph? Even a part that passes those tests can suffer when installed in any random car - take the mopar system that has an open top and seals to the hood. How much variation in hood deflection is there over time or with work on a car - if that seal isn't perfectly tight you will be sucking in hot air from under hood. If you want to get a benefit for a CAI on an LX, you need to investigate the air flow path and decide if it is really bringing in colder air at the same or lower restriction as the OEM part.

So why don't OEM engineers make everything a true CAI? AIS design is a major pain because of all the trade offs - restriction, temperature rise, water ingestion, snow packing and NVH requirements all fight each other. Want to avoid sucking in snow and water - keep the inlet in the engine bay. Want to keep the noise down - make it nice and restrictive. etc. Depending on the engine type and the brand requirements you could come up with different solutions. My favorite is the 2nd gen LH cars - the air induction seals to a hole on the interior fender side, so it sucks air from the gap between the outer sheet metal and inner fire wall, with the air pulling in from over by the passenger door area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I experimented with the true cold air. I had the owner of LMI bring one to VIR for a mshs event. I drilled the hole for it at home before I left for the race. I have a 6.1 with an edelbrock blower 8 psi of boost and was running their ( edelbrocks )cai. I hot lapped and was consistently 12.1-12.3. I pulled into the pits and installed the true cold air. Back to the lanes and hot lapped again with consistent 11.7 times. Back to the pits and emptied the car of all the weight I could except the passenger seat. Back to the lanes and was doing 11.5’s. I came in second that weekend in the super stock class. Granpa Greg coming in third. Yeah I know, he’s slow
    So does the LMI work? I think so.
    All my time slips are on LMI’s Facebook page for the non believers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12