Post Thanks / Like

Milling 6.1 heads?

How much can be milled off of the 6.1 heads before running into clearance issues? I have a set that were overheated and they need to be straightened out. Is it best to just keep it to the bare minimum, or can I safely go 15-20 to gain a little compression? This is the cam I'm going to be running, it has under .500 lift. Or do I not want to gain any compression in the 6.1? Will be running 91 octane as it's all that's available by me.

COMP Cams Thumpr NSR 214/233 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Dodge HEMI 5.7L/6.1L 2003+

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    If the head faces are actually no longer flat, then you must have an idea by how much. How much is it?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    You can mill to whats needed then play with head gasket thicknesses to get the clearances in spec.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure yet what's needed, I just picked the motor up this week. I'm hoping to find a machine shop tomorrow, just want to know what to tell them I'm looking for. I was told it overheated so I'm just assuming it'll need resurfacing. What I'm curious about is, since they'll likely need milling, would there be any benefits to taking a little more to boost compression a little, or would I be better off to try and stick with the stock compression ratio?

I'm planning on keeping everything stock except for the cam, and will be running an Eagle intake as the motor didn't come with the OEM 6.1 intake, and the Eagles are much cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JD323 View Post
    I'm not sure yet what's needed, I just picked the motor up this week. I'm hoping to find a machine shop tomorrow, just want to know what to tell them I'm looking for. I was told it overheated so I'm just assuming it'll need resurfacing. What I'm curious about is, since they'll likely need milling, would there be any benefits to taking a little more to boost compression a little, or would I be better off to try and stick with the stock compression ratio?

I'm planning on keeping everything stock except for the cam, and will be running an Eagle intake as the motor didn't come with the OEM 6.1 intake, and the Eagles are much cheaper.

For all intents and purposes, with that cam it would be tough to measure actual gains by milling. Stick with the minimum requirement - if indeed they actually are not flat​, leave the rest for casting integrity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For all intents and purposes, with that cam it would be tough to measure actual gains by milling. Stick with the minimum requirement - if indeed they actually are not flat​, leave the rest for casting integrity.
    That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you!!