Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

6.1 Valvetrain woes

Ok gurus, ive some questions for you. I was wrapping up my 6.1 for my Mag swap and had gottwn to the heads. I paid zero attention to the valves and springs when i bought the heads. Sat them on a shelf a year ago. Fast forward to now, im bolting on the rockers and shafts and notice the rockers hit the retainers pretty hard. I was told by the seller, these heads had the Comp Cams .600 behive kit on them. In the pics, you can see there is no stem coming thru the retainer. Ive taken and intake and exhaust valve out and measured everything. I cant find any specs on Comps site that comes close to matching what i have. I dont have any stock valves to measure lenght and tip size, so i cant say for sure if these have been ground.

One thing of note, the intake valves have 3 .056 shims under the locator. The exhaust only had one .056 shim.

when they made me they broke the mold, and beat the piss outta the mold maker....
    You just started reading the sentence you just finished reading...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong retainers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    Wrong retainers?
    Ive no idea at this point. They are correct for the spring but the angle is off i think. Its a 7° on it.

when they made me they broke the mold, and beat the piss outta the mold maker....

Post Thanks / Like
    Angle of valve stem? I would find one 6.1 retainer. Take off one spring assembly and mock it up. Either wrong retainer or valve.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wonderimg about the angle of the retainers. They are 7°, i assume, would 10° bring the stem out any appreciable difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    After looking closer at pictures, those got to be the wrong retainers. I would think more of the valve stem should protrude. Do you have any stock retainers laying around?

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure dont. Ive looked everywhere and i mustve gotten rid of all the extra spring sets i had. Ive got some valves, springs, locks and retainers in my cart on fleecebay now. All random pieces.

I was looking at valve specs last night and i found 2 different stock lenght stems for the 6.1. One is 15 thousandths longer i believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't install those! Either incorrect retainers or incorrect keepers are in-play for those retainers. Post a pic of the keepers / retainers / their interface area (assembled)

EDIT: this is not as simple as replacing keepers with a higher placed keying rib. This will increase pre-load as well as the possibility of coil bind (really bad).

You need to determine exactly:
    - Spring Manufacturer and PN
    - Retainer Manufacturer and PN
    - Keeper Manufacturer and PN

The keepers and how they secure the valve is critical. There should be way(!) more valve stem side face area present - above the retainer
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-23-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Don't install those! Either incorrect retainers or incorrect keepers are in-play for those retainers. Post a pic of the keepers / retainers / their interface area (assembled)

EDIT: this is not as simple as replacing keepers with a higher placed keying rib. This will increase pre-load as well as the possibility of coil bind (really bad).

You need to determine exactly:
    - Spring Manufacturer and PN
    - Retainer Manufacturer and PN
    - Keeper Manufacturer and PN

The keepers and how they secure the valve is critical. There should be way(!) more valve stem side face area present - above the retainer
    Keep in mind, i bought these heads with the valve assemblies already there. I was told by the seller that this is the .600 lift kit from Comp Cams. Included springs, locators, shim, retainer, locks and seal. I can not clearly identify any of the parts. Ive emailed Comp's tech to see if any identifying markers are on anything, and was told no. Ive measured the dimensions of every piece involved and compared to that kit, and thats no help. I dont have a way to check the degree of the retainer. I will include pics

Post Thanks / Like
    How big of a cam are you running? You may not need whatever the retainers are. Im running shimmed 16 intake springs on Eagle heads. No problems what so ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its got the stage 2 HRT cam from Comp. .592 .586 lifts. According to tech at Comp, everything in that beehive kit is supposed to work fine with that cam and stock valves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a bigger cam than mine. Mine are good to 580. You are going to change the retainers to something else. May have gotten wrong retainers. Can you send them photos to their tech line?

Post Thanks / Like
    The email i sent asked for any identification that might be on the parts. Laser etching and so forth. I was told they are identified by specs, then compared to their specs. With that said, the retainers i have are the ones for that spring set. 7° retainers.

Only thing i can think of are the valve tips are too short maybe. They measure .132 inches and ive seen stock valve tips advertised measurements at .150. Im seriously at a loss. Wishing i had a 6.1 head i could measure seats on. Just sold a set last month, go figure. Reason why, the intake side seat in the head looks to be ground way down. Has 3 shims under that spring compared to 1 shim on exhaust side

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but nothing can be gathered from the valve / retainer / keeper pics - except the fact the valve is not protruding enough above the keepers. I think you're hooped; the rockers at their midpoint are hitting the retainers long before the rocker face engages the top of the valves. That is a non-starter.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Thanks, but nothing can be gathered from the valve / retainer / keeper pics. I think you;re hooped; the rockers at their midpoint are hitting the retainers. That is a non-starter.
    I thought that was what you had asked for? If not i will get more pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast