Thread: Battery Life

Mississauga Ontario '11 Charger R/T with R&T, '13 Cadillac sports wagon
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery Life

How long do they last??? My 2011 summer only driven Charger has the original battery which works well. I start the car every few weeks while it is parked for the winter in underground parking. Will it last another winter or should I play it safe and go with preventive maintenance? I replaced the original battery in my 2005 Magnum after 9 years (it was working fine) only to sell the car 3 months later. My parts guy has his original 15 year old battery in his Ram truck.

2011 Toxic Orange Charger R/T R&T (license plate "BUK8LIST") Factory Repro rims/Nitto Invos, Aria CAI. Solo Exhaust, Daytona chin spoiler. Window tint.

Daily Driver...2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Sports Wagon Edition. 20" Vossen CV3R Gloss Graphite Staggered rims/Falken FK453's, graphite wrapped chrome, window tint.

Gone, but not forgotten..........

2005 Magnum SXT (CANDYAPPLE)
    2006 MSRT (FSTBLK)
    2008 Magnum SXT
    2002 Intrepid
    2000 Intrepid
    1998 Intrepid.........and 31 others over the past 55+ years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had it tested? Essentially when you have oil changes performed a battery test is included with the service. Should give you an idea of battery state. OR if you just want the peace of mind replace it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just run with it until it dies and then replace it at that time.

2006 300 SRT8 / 2012 300 SRT8

Mississauga Ontario '11 Charger R/T with R&T, '13 Cadillac sports wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan501 View Post
    Have you had it tested? Essentially when you have oil changes performed a battery test is included with the service. Should give you an idea of battery state. OR if you just want the peace of mind replace it.
    Funny you should ask. I went to the Interstate Battery store. I asked to have it tested. I would have to bring the battery inside the store as they don't test in the car due to Covid-19 restrictions. I asked for a price...$375.00. BUT they don't have my type of battery and probably won't until next year. Some kind of demand and shortage due to Covid-19. I asked if that price included installation. They don't install due to Covid-19. The dealership I work at has 3 in stock priced at $200.00 + install ($25.00) Parts guy said to wait 'til spring when it makes more sense to see how it survived the winter (starting it up every 2-3 weeks instead of every 6 weeks, like I have done since it was new.)

P.S. I had the oil changed exactly 1 year ago. Have driven 500 miles in the past year!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can pick up and change it for you Ken when you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Hope you and the wife are doing well sir.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Thanks CADYWAGN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Run it until it goes bad. My 12 RT Charger got 7 years and 185K miles on the original battery. But, I’ve had other cars where the battery went after three years— car battery life generally is all over the map.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the shop, most batteries seem to go between 5-8 years. On my cars and parents cars I change them at 6 yrs. because most of the time it happens at the worst time. Most of the time, outside temps like 90’s or higher or lows like 40 or below kill older batteries. Just my observation.

Post Thanks / Like
    9 years? I'd change it now and go with the dealer OEM battery.

If you try another brand which after the OEM lasted all these years I don't know why you would, make sure it has a vent tube and it gets hooked up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group
    Thanks CADYWAGN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Have it "load Tested". Most auto parts stores just read the voltage and if it above 12V it is okay. BUT... it could have a partially shorted cell which restricts its max power.
    Net is where I be......Nathan is me
    2006 Charger SRT8
    Inferno Red (Just a blur to most folks) with All Factory Options / Groups, SRT8 Mats, Side moldings/rear ram's head shaved
    Billet Technology all over + valve covers and coil covers, KillerGlass Pipe, LMI FIV CAI, 180 Tstat, Magnaflow 3" exhaust
    MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
    BCR coilovers with Hotchkis sways and Nitto 245/45/20F - 295/40/20R NT555-G2 paws

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

5 years or more is really pushing it with a battery. I have seen original batteries last up to 12 or so years but anything can happen before that. If you use a maintainer like a Battery Tender I'd say maybe you could get away with it.
    2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack - Go Mango
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CADYWAGN View Post
    Funny you should ask. I went to the Interstate Battery store. I asked to have it tested. I would have to bring the battery inside the store as they don't test in the car due to Covid-19 restrictions. I asked for a price...$375.00. BUT they don't have my type of battery and probably won't until next year. Some kind of demand and shortage due to Covid-19. I asked if that price included installation. They don't install due to Covid-19. The dealership I work at has 3 in stock priced at $200.00 + install ($25.00) Parts guy said to wait 'til spring when it makes more sense to see how it survived the winter (starting it up every 2-3 weeks instead of every 6 weeks, like I have done since it was new.)

P.S. I had the oil changed exactly 1 year ago. Have driven 500 miles in the past year!!
    Interstate was probably trying to sell you an AGM Battery, which our cars did not come equipped with originally. Group Size H7/94R. If I remember right, the Larger H8/49 used in Police Models was an AGM. Batteries availability on the dealer level has been an adventure for a few years. When PGW took over from Interstate as Mopar's battery supplier it all went downhill fast. It took forever to get batteries. In the last year a battery distributor owned by Exide took over, and it has improved some.