Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst production Corvette of all time. 180HP 1980 305 "California" Disco Vette

On its 30th Anniversary year, a moment of silence please as we ponder the sad state that this automotive icon sunk to...

"Federal emissions requirements of the 1970s took a big neutering knife to American muscle cars, and no car bled more than the Corvette. The worst of it came in California dang hippy librels! where stricter state regs required that the barely adequate 350 cu.-in. smallblock in the 1980 Corvette be replaced with a wholly inadequate 305 V8, putting out 180 hp of pure shame. On top of that, the "California" Corvette sucked its pitiful rivulet of horsepower through the straw of a torque-sapping three-speed automatic transmission. That gave the Corvette the very totem of hairy-chest, disco machismo acceleration comparable to a very hot Vespa. These were dark days indeed."

1980 was not a good year for Corvette buyers living in California. They were restricted to one engine choice, a 305 cu in. motor that was common to the other Chevrolet models that year. There was also only one available transmission - an automatic - no four speeds allowed. This was the result of the state's tougher emissions regulations. Automatic transmission equipped cars are easier to pass emissions certification since pushing in the clutch on a manual transmission causes a blip in the pollution output. This is not a problem with smooth shifting automatic transmissions which are equipped with torque convertors instead of clutches.

"The 305 cu. in. motor that California buyers were stuck with was rated at 180 hp, 10 hp less than the 350 cu. in. motor available in the other 49 states. A $50.00 credit was some consolation, but Corvettes sold to California residents came with the California emissions certification option; RPO YF5 for $250.00."

180HP, 14 MPG.

Check out those exhaust manifold LMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Uhm.......the 75' had 160 hp.....so I don't think the 80 was the worst......lol
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

[email protected]
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    it was dubbed the penis car....

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah the CA regs started in 1975 so '76 models thru 1982 where crap..

but like everything most people that bought them dropped a 68 - 74 427 or 454 into them and got around the laws..
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you fail to understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever driven a 1953 or 54 Vette? I have. The styling was pretty sweet, but they were crap boxes. The Blue Flame 6 and Powerglide were pretty slow, the ride and handling was like a farmer's hay wagon, and you could see day light between the door and body fit. I actually thought of buying a 1953 back in 1970 for $1,900, till I drove it. The owner had a 1954 for sale for $2,300 as well. Wish I had bought the 53 as they are pretty rare.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec LT Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, , 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 2017 CC Big Horn Ram 4X4 EcoDiesel. Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankfully they corrected their mistake in 1983... Total production of corvettes = 0.... The workers were on strike. Good to know next time you talk to a "corvette expert" tell him your fave model was the 1983 and you will know right away who you are dealing with :-p

I'm a faithful Speedlogix, Inc.customer,How bout you? ====================> Supercharged 2006 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    They did make an 83' Corvette,but not many.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem...tte/index.html

"A handful of '83 Corvettes were built; these were the cars that the media tested-and raved about-in mid and late 1982. Chevrolet actually certified an '83 model Corvette for sale. But, by the time various niggling little problems with quality, reliability, and durability were solved, the initial plan for the new Corvette to be introduced and go on sale in October 1982, proved to be an impossibility.

According to Dave McLellan, a total of 61 serial numbered '83 Corvettes were built. Of these, 18 were "prototypes" and the other 43 were "pilot-line" cars."

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw a new ZR1 at the track last night...WHOAAA baby that was sweet. They have really evolved.
    '14 Mustang GT 5.0...Race Red...6spd Manual...Stock...

Post Thanks / Like
    Haters, haters!

This 1981 was my car from '85 to '88. Got it when I was 20.

I loved it. White letter tires and t-tops, Woohoo! Great car to have in the mid 1980's. I "thought" it was fast. You gotta remember the competition: IROC-Z; Dodge Daytona Shelby GT; GT 5.0 box (more legroom in the 2-door); Toyota Supra (Mark III); Datsun 280z. I had the carbureted 350, not the Cali 305 or "cross fire injection".
    Last edited by hemied; 10-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1985 was the worst POS Ever.. Just my 0.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri1310 View Post
    Good to know next time you talk to a "corvette expert" tell him your fave model was the 1983 and you will know right away who you are dealing with :-p
    Thats a good one! My neighbor has a Z06, I'm gonna mess with him later and see if he picks up on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inferno6.1 View Post
    Saw a new ZR1 at the track last night...WHOAAA baby that was sweet. They have really evolved.
    What did it trap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemied View Post
    I had the carbureted 350, not the Cali 305 or "cross fire injection".
    That carb'd one must have sounded sweet with longtubes. I went on a junkyard run a few years ago with my gf's mechanic uncle and we passed one of those "crossfire injection" and he laughed and said more like "ceasefire injection" lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FST4DR View Post
    1985 was the worst POS Ever.. Just my 0.2
    84-92 were all crap

I'd be unstoppable if it wasnt for Physics & Law enforcement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sound&security View Post
    84-92 were all crap
    x2 (thousand)

I loved the 1984 when it came out I was 16 OMG for the day and age it was Knight Rider futuristic. the Digital Dash, the rolling flip headlights.

had a neighbor with one, he took me for a ride in it, I was in love.. until 6 months later when most of his car was falling apart.. 3 digital clusters replaced (all 1 piece, $2500 @ the time for a new one) because 1 or 2 of the digital areas would go dead.

rattles, squeeks, groans, and misfires all the time..

thankfully they made up for in the C5 Models (mostly)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread