Post Thanks / Like

2016 Charger Scat Pack 392 Break In Question

I just got my first Charger and it is a 2016 Charger Scat Pack 392 in B5 Blue. I love it. My question is during Break In am I supposed to be letting it go into 4 Cyl. mode in town or on highway or should all Break In miles be done in Sport Mode? Also does the 4 Cyl mode alternate cylinders?

Thanks for any info anyone has.

Car Pic.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure you shouldn't be using Sport mode at all until you hit 500 miles. That is my understanding from my '15 SRT. Cylinder deactivation is fine for the break in period and I'm pretty sure it doesn't alternate which ones it uses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, no alternation of cylinders, the MDS cylinders are 1-4-6-7. They set it up to deactivate every other cylinder in the firing order to keep it as smooth as possible and firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

On the breakin just drive normally at first but give the car time to cool down between runs. The rear end gets pretty hot especially and the new cars only have little more than a quart of oil back there now. After you get a couple hundred on it, use the manual range on the trans to make some WOT pulls from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm, this is good for the engine.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    All break-in procedures are in the owners manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
    Correct, no alternation of cylinders, the MDS cylinders are 1-4-6-7. They set it up to deactivate every other cylinder in the firing order to keep it as smooth as possible and firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

On the breakin just drive normally at first but give the car time to cool down between runs. The rear end gets pretty hot especially and the new cars only have little more than a quart of oil back there now. After you get a couple hundred on it, use the manual range on the trans to make some WOT pulls from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm, this is good for the engine.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    So, do we have to get more fluid added to the rear at some point? I haven't seen or heard anything about this.
    2016 Charger RT Scat Pack 392 Hemi - pitch black w/black alcantara interior, sunroof, nav and Beats audio. My first Mopar!

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove mine for about 1k miles - 80% Cruise / 20% WOT. I changed the oil at 1K mark and went with Pennzoil with SRT filter. All is well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT392Hemi View Post
    So, do we have to get more fluid added to the rear at some point? I haven't seen or heard anything about this.
    Just a normal service. If you've got a limited slip they require more frequent oil changes than an open rear imho. Running hard heats them up. SRT says service rear after five hours of track use.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Share This Thread