Post Thanks / Like

2015 Journey R/T 3.6 P0306

Pretty consistent misfire on 6. Occasionally it will fire properly. Car isn't at home yet, wife limped it to a gas station on her way to work. I hear a lot of good things about the 3.6 so I'm pretty inclined to believe that with 100k miles it's likely a plug/coil related problem. But are these things known for hard part failure? Oil pressure at idle did dip down to 24psi and after a couple light revs It was up to 36. How sensitive are these lifters when it comes to operating pressure?

I'm gonna get it home in a couple hours. Obviously pulling upper intake plenum, checking the #6 plug visually and functionally. Just exploring possible secondary plans of investigation if the ignition stuff checks out.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Possible Rocker Arm

Coil sounds likely - but if there is any abnormal mechanical ticking noise involved, you might be looking at a rocker arm failure. MotorCity Mechanic has an awesome video on how to fix: Chrysler/VW 3.2 and 3.6 Rocker Arm Replacement Part 1 - YouTube If you catch the ticking noise early on, you may be able to simply replace the bad rocker arm (Otherwise, the cam lobe may be worn out and the cam will need replacement.) Good luck!
    Last edited by Mopar2u; 07-06-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Link

Post Thanks / Like
    No noises on the trip home. Oil pressure was perfectly normal. Monitored the whole way. Pulled upper intake, coils all primaries at .0.6-0.8 ohms which lines up with the new one I bought to check as I found zero resources on how to test these coils nor what their specs should be. Could not get a secondary read on any of the installed coils or on the new one.

Plugs are worn goofy though. Check this stuff out. Ground electrode is tapered to one side and gap is well over .060 on #6.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    To me that looks like normal 100k+ worn out plug. As long as it's not super black or wet looking I think a new set and possibly a new coil would be a good starting point. If the car has 100k, then it's time for a new set anyway. You failed to mention if you are the original owner or not. If you bought it used then some of that wear maybe idling time too. Lots of people forget about engine hours vs mileage. Check your engine hours and convert it to miles to get a real idea of how long that engine has been running. When I bought my 15 Town and Country it had 22k on it but it was a rental car before I got it. The engine hours converted was closer to 50k. Basically for me, my engine idled alot when it was new and the plugs are going to show 50k of wear, not 22k. Just some food for thought when trying to figure out how long that plug has been firing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk