Post Thanks / Like

2008 Dodge Avenger Problems

Hey gang, I haven't posted in a long long time but I keep referencing this forum for the wealth of knowledge it contains.

I have a question regarding my 2008 Dodge Avenger FWD 2.7 V6

I have gone the past 4 years with the P0420 code. I had it officially diagnosed 4 years ago and was told that I needed a new Catalytic Converter. I used sparkplug anti-foulers and was able to eliminate the code for a few years. Now that I live in New York I need annual inspections and the code won't stay off. I bit the bullet and went forward to get a new factory front exhaust manifold assembly installed. New gasket and sensors as well. The code stayed off for 1 day and then popped back up. I reset the battery again and I made it 6 miles before P0420 comes on again. Does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this issue?

My second question is that my car takes 20 minutes for the engine to warm up in the winter. Up until last week I had no heat on the passengers side, and lukewarm heat on the drivers side. There was equal airflow, one was just cold. I do not have dual climate control either. I was told by numerous sources that it was the heater core. I had the blender door checked, dash taken apart and the heater core inspected and the thermostat changed. I gained a little more heat after the thermostat was changed (the thought was that maybe it was stuck open leading to it taking too long to warm up). It is a perplexing issue that dodge doesn't seem to have an answer for but many Avenger owners have encountered.

Thanks in advance!

HammerStyleIntakeBilletTechBlastinBobTommyZDesign

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be two cat converters -bank 1 and 2- was both changed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    There may be two cat converters -bank 1 and 2- was both changed?
    The code indicates a front bank failure specific to that catalytic. The rear one would require substantially more labor so I hope there's not a chance of that.

Mississauga Ontario '11 Charger R/T with R&T, '13 Cadillac sports wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't offer any help, but I sure hope that is not a sign of what is to come. My wife has a 2008 Avenger SXT that we ordered new. Currently has about 20,000 miles (33,000 kms.) on it. Doesn't get driven very often! Never had a problem with it, as yet. Might be time to think about selling it.

2011 Toxic Orange Charger R/T R&T (license plate "BUK8LIST") Factory Repro rims/Nitto Invos, Aria CAI. Daytona chin spoiler. Window tint.

Daily Driver...2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Sports Wagon Edition. 20" Vossen CV3R Gloss Graphite Staggered rims with Falken FK453 tires, tinted windows.

Gone, but not forgotten..........

2005 Magnum SXT (CANDYAPPLE)
    2006 MSRT (FSTBLK)
    2008 Magnum SXT
    2002 Intrepid
    2000 Intrepid
    1998 Intrepid.........and 31 others over the past 53+ years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CADYWAGN View Post
    Can't offer any help, but I sure hope that is not a sign of what is to come. My wife has a 2008 Avenger SXT that we ordered new. Currently has about 20,000 miles (33,000 kms.) on it. Doesn't get driven very often! Never had a problem with it, as yet. Might be time to think about selling it.
    To be honest it's been a fantastic car aside from the excessive amount of plastic Mopar was using in their mid 2000 design phase. The heat seems to be an issue with a surprising amount of owners and I'm the only one I'm aware of that has been having a chronic cat issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming you checked coolant level the only other thing in the system are blend door actuators. These change not only direction of airflow but temperatures too.

As for catalyst code,
    Knowing you replaced converters I can only assume you replaced all 4 O2 sensors with OEM correct?? Please tell me you didn't use Bosch O2's! I prefer using OEM sensors and NTK in the aftermarket. OEM could very well be NTK/NGK as the Mopar spark plugs are NGK iirc.
    Battleship Bismarck
    2008 SRT8 Charger, Stockish!!
    2007 SXT Magnum
    2001 Ram 4x4
    2001 Town & Country Limited
    1999 Ram 1500 swb
    1998 2dr Neon Highline 5sp

I know your FAST cause I was Hauln' Azz when I passed you!

Member, Space City LX
    IG, oo_silversrt_oo

Post Thanks / Like
    P0420 is cat converter bank 1. Make sure the bank 1 is the front one. Bank one is always same bank as #1 cylinder. Aging o2s can cause this also. If they rolled dash back -they should have replaced heater core anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CUUDA View Post
    Assuming you checked coolant level the only other thing in the system are blend door actuators. These change not only direction of airflow but temperatures too.

As for catalyst code,
    Knowing you replaced converters I can only assume you replaced all 4 O2 sensors with OEM correct?? Please tell me you didn't use Bosch O2's! I prefer using OEM sensors and NTK in the aftermarket. OEM could very well be NTK/NGK as the Mopar spark plugs are NGK iirc.
    I had that (blender door) checked a couple of years ago when this issues started, but the heating issue progressively gets worse every year. Also, the initial heater core flushes a couple of years ago almost completely brought back the heat, whereas they do nothing now. I think the next step is to inform a different shop of my issues and see what they can come up with.

The shop replaced the bank 1 o2 sensors, both before and after the cat. They did not touch the sensors for the rear cat. I'm not sure of the branding though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    P0420 is cat converter bank 1. Make sure the bank 1 is the front one. Bank one is always same bank as #1 cylinder. Aging o2s can cause this also. If they rolled dash back -they should have replaced heater core anyway.
    I totally agree about the heater core, just to eliminate that possibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I post too soon????? Hard start and check engine light to-day!!! Goes into the dealership 7:30 A.M. tomorrow!!! O2 sensor is my guess, we'll see!!

Post Thanks / Like
    brand should be dodge. IF not, that could be your problem. For some reason, these cars are very picky about other brands.
    20% window tint Custom Wrap Corsa Extreme Cat-Back exhaust Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 275/40r20

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Mopar battery was toast and after only 5700 kilometers................but also four years of not being driven much! This sustained minus 25 C weather is taking its toll on car batteries. It's so cold that even our underground condo parking garage has remained at below 0 C for weeks now!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
    Hey gang, I haven't posted in a long long time but I keep referencing this forum for the wealth of knowledge it contains.

I have a question regarding my 2008 Dodge Avenger FWD 2.7 V6

I have gone the past 4 years with the P0420 code. I had it officially diagnosed 4 years ago and was told that I needed a new Catalytic Converter. I used sparkplug anti-foulers and was able to eliminate the code for a few years. Now that I live in New York I need annual inspections and the code won't stay off. I bit the bullet and went forward to get a new factory front exhaust manifold assembly installed. New gasket and sensors as well. The code stayed off for 1 day and then popped back up. I reset the battery again and I made it 6 miles before P0420 comes on again. Does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this issue?

My second question is that my car takes 20 minutes for the engine to warm up in the winter. Up until last week I had no heat on the passengers side, and lukewarm heat on the drivers side. There was equal airflow, one was just cold. I do not have dual climate control either. I was told by numerous sources that it was the heater core. I had the blender door checked, dash taken apart and the heater core inspected and the thermostat changed. I gained a little more heat after the thermostat was changed (the thought was that maybe it was stuck open leading to it taking too long to warm up). It is a perplexing issue that dodge doesn't seem to have an answer for but many Avenger owners have encountered.

Thanks in advance!
    If you had P0420 then you replaced the wrong converter. P0420 is for Bank 1, which is the rear or right bank on a 2.7L. The front or left bank one you replaced is Bank 2, which would set P0430.

Poor heat with no heat on one side, you have a partially restricted heater core. You can try flushing it both ways with water, but you'll likely have to bite the bullet and have it replaced.

Sorry to give you bad news...
    2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack - Go Mango
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636