Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 Hellcat Challenger Gets a New Hood Design

By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial Staff

2019 Hellcat Challenger Gets a New Hood Design

FCA announced this morning that when the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat begins reaching dealerships later this year, it will feature a new dual snorkel design. The company included two images of the new hood design, with vents that appear to be taller and wider than the scoop on the current Hellcat hood, but it looks as though this new hood might not have the heat extraction vents – or at least they don’t appear to be in the same place as the 2015-2018 Hellcat hoods.

According to the brief release accompanying these two pictures, this new Hellcat Challenger dual snorkel hood design “pays homage to the distinctive Mopar design themes from some of its most famous muscle cars”. Several classic Mopar muscle cars ran some variation of a dual scoop setup, including the 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee, the 1971/1972 Dodge Demon 340, several model years of the Plymouth Barracuda and various over models in specific trim levels. The new Hellcat hood looks nothing like any of those classic hoods, but I can see where the classic Mopar designs shaped this one.
    We don’t know yet whether this will be the only hood for the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat or if the current hood will still be offered, but even without the heat extractors, this new hood could offer some performance advantages over the current design.

Over the past few years, Dodge has developed a great many of hood designs with the two most notable here being the Challenger T/A hood and the Demon hood. Each of these engine covers use the front-facing scoop to feed air directly into the engine. On the other hand, the hood scoop on the Hellcat Challenger simply feeds cooling air into the engine bay while the two vents help evacuate hot air.

While we don’t know for sure exactly how this new dual snorkel hood functions, it is possible that one scoop directs air to the engine intake while the other feeds cool air intake and engine bay. Of course, without the heat extractors, both of those scoops might be used for cooling air, but with the company’s work with hoods that bring engine air in through the hood scoop, it is possible that the 2019 Hellcat Challenger could have a slightly revised intake setup.

If nothing else, the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat will have a distinctive new look with the dual snorkel hood design and while we know that both scoops are functional – it isn’t clear yet how exactly the hood functions.
    dave
    site admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this image as well from the front:

15 Grand Cherokee SRT: Staying Stock!!!

05 Magnum RT:
    5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'

6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started
    Thanks MagnumClub thanked for this post
    Likes sugar-tj, Scatram, MagnumClub, jjo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping the scoops would be wider.
    For now I prefer the current hood, but it usually takes me a little time to appreciate new designs.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2017 Go Mango Challenger T/A
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2015 Charger Hellcat #0771
    Thanks hotrod1 thanked for this post
    Likes ENUF PWR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, but would need to see it in person to truly say yah or nah.
    20% window tint Custom Wrap Corsa Extreme Cat-Back exhaust Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 275/40r20
    Likes MagnumClub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like them but I'm not sure what iconic car they're referring too... The non-SRT challengers have the biggest throwback, the hood vents there are pretty much identical to the old ones...

Also, I think that front view is a fake/mockup. The shape of the nostrils aren't the same.
    | www.AdWhois.com |
    Epic Dodge 100th Anniversary Commercial
    ... ... ...
    '18 Charger Scat Pack - Billet Silver | '15 Challenger RT Plus - Granite (Sold) | '13 Charger RT Plus - Pitch Black (Sold) | '12 Ford Focus Titanium - Silver (Sold) | '03 Mitsu Montero - Somekinda Blue (Sold)
    Likes ENUF PWR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care about the hood...but dam that's a nice color blue!

Carry on
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Likes Scatram liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I dig that, and I really love that blue!

Post Thanks / Like
    would be a great update for an 09 hellcat clone. If it would fit.

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 98.84 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 125.74 @ VMP 9/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzKing View Post
    would be a great update for an 09 hellcat clone. If it would fit.
    You bring up a good question, how interchangeable are the hoods I do wonder?

(PS I’m heading that way in the morning!)

Post Thanks / Like
    that would make folks think when they line up w/me.

even with my RT badging .

Post Thanks / Like
    That pic from the front is not an FCA pic and don't think it's right, scoops too small.

Hoods have always been interchangeable, I would think this one will too.

The paint I'm pretty sure is just IndiGo Blue with studio effects as they love to do. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group
    Likes MagnumClub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like 98-02 Trans Am to me! Plus the flares suck!
    Likes MI392SCAT, ENUF PWR, Vanquished liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbs63 View Post
    Looks like 98-02 Trans Am to me! Plus the flares suck!
    That's immediately what I thought of when I first heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
    That pic from the front is not an FCA pic and don't think it's right, scoops too small.

Hoods have always been interchangeable, I would think this one will too.

The paint I'm pretty sure is just IndiGo Blue with studio effects as they love to do. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Agree, think it's IndiGo blue (which is a sweet color). Also think the head on shot is a fake, the one you shared looks right.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Blue is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like an old WS6 hood off the 99 trans am ....i like the old hood better....guess we have to wait and see...
    Likes MI392SCAT liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast