Post Thanks / Like

Interior Update: full Dark Slate interior transformation

I have been wanting to update the two-tone factory interior of my Magnum SRT8 to the full Dark Slate gray interior from a later 08-10 Chrysler 300C. I've been monitoring the LKQ Pick A Part junkyards since the beginning of the year for the right interior to come along, and it finally happened a couple of weeks ago. I wanted the 300C for the little details that make them look a little better. The chrome trim on the upper panel, soft padded arm rests, tortoise shell door pulls, and two things I didn't know they had.... ambient lighting and puddle lights. I stripped all of the interior panels, and snagged the handle-to-latch rods as well (thanks to information I got from this site and other FB groups).

The installation of the trim pieces around the doors, B-pillar, etc was a remove and replace, very easy. The piece that fits beside the rear seat cushion behind the rear doors is different on the Magnum and the 300C. The piece on the magnum is actually all one piece all the way to the rear of the car. Those will eventually get removed and dyed to match.

The door panels were also fairly easy to install as well. Remove the old door panels, swap out the handle-to-latch rods, and reinstall the new door panels. Or so I thought. There were a couple of other minor steps that have to happen for what I consider a full complete install. Here are the additional pieces that I didn't know about.

The relocated door handle also means that the bracket the screw goes into also needs to be moved to another slot already in the inner door structure. In the photo below, there is a little square metal retainer clip. That's where the screw in the middle of the door handle bucket screws into. it has to be relocated to the slot just above it.

The screw location for behind the door pull is also relocated to a different spot on the 300C door panels. But, there isn't a place to relocate it. It is on a bracket that is bolted to the inner door structure. You can see it here in this photo below. I didn't grab those parts when I snagged the interior, so next time I can grab those pieces from any 300 and bolt them up. Right now that is the only screw that didn't get replaced.

All the switched worked. Just plug them in and go, even though these switches/door panels are from a later car with the different CANBUS. The door panels also have ambient lighting in the door panel pockets, and the front doors have puddle lights in the lower part of the door panel. I haven't wired those up yet, I'll do that later.

Here are the pics of the door panels before:

And here are the pics of the new door panels installed.

The door panel contours are slightly different where it meets the dash. But, it is so slight it is barely noticeable when you are in the car.

Here's a shot of the puddle lights (lower right) and the ambient lighting (upper left) in the driver's door panel.

Remaining steps for the full Dark Slate interior:

• replace Lower knee panel below the steering wheel (removed it, but left it at the junkyard 2 hours away LOL)
    • dye right side lower dash between glove box and door panel
    • dye rear interior panels
    • wire up puddle lights
    • wire up ambient lighting
    • replace brackets for door pull screws
    - Brian T.
    "Pam the Demon Wagon" 2006 Magnum SRT
    8 #That70sSRT8

| web: Michael Brian Studios | instagram: @MichaelBrianStudios |
    Likes Jay Z, Johnsand, snobrdrdan, someotherguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was at it, I also snagged the tortoise shell steering wheel out of the same 300C. I've installed it on my car for now until I get my SRT steering wheel recovered.

Before:

AFTER:

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be following to see how you wire up the ambient lighting. I replaced my panels as well, didn't know how to wire them up though.

2006 300 SRT8
    Accuair Equipped
    Avant Garde F431 (Electron Blue)
    IG: @bagged_srt

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize the 2008-2010 door panels had padded armrests. Nice! I've been kind of wanting to do this update on my 300 just for the solid dark color theme.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Swapped out the parking brake for a newer style push on/off from a 2008 300. This allows me to use the dark slate knee panel below the steering wheel. The one in my car had the parking brake release handle as part of it. It was a remove and replace procedure, everything connected up and bolted up no issues. The only thing that I had to do was extend the wire for the parking brake light, it's relocated on the newer part and the existing wire didn't reach.

Original from my car in the front.
    Replacement new style in the back.

Installed with new knee trim panel.

Remaining steps for the full Dark Slate interior:

• dye right side lower dash between glove box and door panel
    • dye rear interior panels
    • wire up puddle lights
    • wire up ambient lighting
    • replace brackets for door pull screws

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thread and info. I've always wanted to ditch the two tone but wanted and now I see need BLACK panels. But then again it's nice to know when my armrest are dirty
    Thanks MikuhlBrian thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome post! Although I was never a fan of wood grand steering wheels in the 300’s this is an awesome conversion! I always like the interior of the 300’s better!!!
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T - 85mm Throttle Body, AFE Stage 2 CAI, 6.1 Intake Manifold, Modern Muscle Intake Adapters, 219/223 cam, 6.1 pushrods, Manley NEXTEK Valve Springs, 6.1 Timing Chain, 6.1 oil pump, Edelbrock Titech Headers, Flowmasters X pipe, Thrush 2 Chamber Mufflers, Flowmaster Resonators and tailpipes, 3200 Edge Converter, Mopar TCM, Tranzformer, Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter, 3.06, Brake Performance drilled and slotted rotors.
    Thanks MikuhlBrian thanked for this post
    Likes Jay Z liked this post