Post Thanks / Like

Another custom fab'd spoiler for my Magnum SRT8

A couple of years ago, I fabbed up a custom rear spoiler for my Magnum SRT8. I combined a Focus ST spoiler with the factory Magnum spoiler. BUILD THREAD

Well, I'm at it again during the coronavirus lockdown. Trying my hand at another custom fabricated spoiler.

Right now it is still in the very rough first stages. I've just got the pieces stitched together for an approximation of the final product. The base is still the Magnum tailgate spoiler. To extend it further out, I'm using a Dodge Caliber rear hatch spoiler. Surprisingly the top of the Magnum tailgate and the Caliber hatch are about the same width. The end pieces that hang over the rear pillars are the ends cut off of a 96-00 Honda Civic Hatch Type-R spoiler.

The sides follow along the rear pillars real close.

Next steps are to finish the roughing in of the final shape, and then i'll start some fiberglass work to fill the gaps/seams. I need to fab up some sort of support underneath. My first spoiler, there was enough weight on the front that it was still pretty centered on the Magnum spoiler. But this one hangs too far back and at speed it will be putting too much stress on the factory fasteners.

I'll post up some pics of the progress as I move forward.
    - Brian T.
    "Pam the Demon Wagon" 2006 Magnum SRT
    8 #That70sSRT8

| web: Michael Brian Studios | instagram: @MichaelBrianStudios |
    Likes Carpaltomo, SHARKY 370, blackmagnum06 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, but I think I'd like it more if the side fins were removed...or reduced and followed the roofline better. At least one big advantage to a bigger spoiler like that might be a rear window that stays cleaner. My god, sometimes it baffles me how that window can possibly get so dirty...
    Last edited by Coelacanth; 05-29-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was playing on my different spoiler, I had a period of time when I ran with no spoiler (put tape over the holes). During that time there was very little dirt accumulating on the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve65301 View Post
    When I was playing on my different spoiler, I had a period of time when I ran with no spoiler (put tape over the holes). During that time there was very little dirt accumulating on the window.
    Yeah, the spoiler does generate a bit of dirt flow on the back window. My previous spoiler had "vents" in it (from a Focus ST). I thought that would help, but it didn't.

Its just something that I've learned to live with on this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My previous car was a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP and although the rear window angle was a bit steeper, it had a similar spoiler...and the window was perpetually dirty, too. The spoiler looks cool but clearly (pun not intended) doesn't do much to keep the window clean. Steve's observations seem to point to the spoiler being the culprit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, but the Magnums look much better without such a large spoiler there. A small one would look much better but its all personal preference. Your other one looked better then this one imho. Cool car, wish I could find a nice Magnum up here
    ·Ï¢årµ§·