Post Thanks / Like

Brake Replacement

My 05 (bought new) Magnum's brake pads were getting a little thin at 115k miles so I set about replacing the pads. At first I had visions of rebuilding the calipers, resurfacing the rotors, and replacing the pads with akebono pads. Well, the rotors that look almost like new and never caused any vibration problems were stuck on so tight that I would have had to destroy them to get them off. So, I didn't resurface them. And, after I read in the manual that the calipers had a coating on the cylinders and honing was not recommended, I decided not to rebuild them. After getting the new pads on and taking it for a short ride, I checked the rotors temps and found the LF rotor to be over 400 degrees, RF rotor to be 200 degrees, and the rears were about 140 degrees. It would appear that the LF is definitely sticking. So, now I have to rebuild/replace the caliper and may as well do both of the fronts while I'm at it.

By the way, if you buy brakes from Rock Auto, an RT has the "heavy duty" or performance package brakes because they offer "standard brakes" too. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what to buy from rockauto. If you punch in that you have the 5.7 engine, ideally they should show only the RT brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Just now replacing the stock pads and rotors. I'd say you got your monies worth on that. I actually had the same caliper sticking on mine as well. I ended up replacing all the calipers last year with some power stop calipers. Just like stock other than being painted red. They say they have been upgraded with better rubber but whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    My front driver caliper is sticking too! it's like a ****-party here!

I bought the powerstops from rock auto for the front and will be doing them on tuesday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    lol pretty funny! I still check it monthly even though I replaced it.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought mine, I inspected them all pretty well and bled them... no issues until a week ago, they have pleanty of pad, but squeal pretty loud sometimes.
    After the rain comes the rainbow, sorry I killed your son... Kylo Ren