Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Lost.... PCM failing?

OK I have a 2005 dodge magnum R/T Awd the car now has 242k on the clock and has been great to me until now....
    The car has started to randomly without warning shut off, when I say that I mean the hemi not all the electronics.

For example the car will shut off chime like the seat belt warning and the PCM will reset itself. I know this because the car has a CEL for an oil pressure sensor that needs fixed but after it dies the light disappears until the pcm finds the fault after some drive cycles.
    The car keeps all other electronic things saved presets time etc and all non engine related components continue to function. The car does not hesitate it just dies.
    If the car is rolling down the highway when the pcm reboots it will just come back on and function as of it didn't happen. However if it dies stopped it has to be placed in neutral and restarted.

I'm at a complete loss here, I'm going to swap all the coils today as it's the only thing I didn't change when I did the ignition tuneup 8k miles ago, in hopes that one is damaged on the secondary winding and back feeding the pcm.

Does anyone else have recommendations on what to look for. I obviously can't get codes as the pcm resets and clears any if they were ever present.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be a bad PCM. I've heard a few guys lately having to swap those out due to intermittent shutoff problems.
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same exact issue years ago. I would be driving and it was running great then the cluster would light up then chime and it would shut off. This was before I did any modifications to the engine. Sometimes I would be able to restart it right away other times it would take about 30 min or more before I could. After much research and problem solving I was able to figure it out it was the PCM. Not saying you are having the same issue but it could def be a possibility. Check your DTC’s and then go from there.
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T - 85mm Throttle Body, AFE Stage 2 CAI, 6.1 Intake Manifold, Modern Muscle Intake Adapters, 219/223 cam, 6.1 pushrods, Manley NEXTEK Valve Springs, 6.1 Timing Chain, 6.1 oil pump, Edelbrock Titech Headers, Flowmasters X pipe, Thrush 2 Chamber Mufflers, Flowmaster Resonators and tailpipes, 3200 Edge Converter, Mopar TCM, Tranzformer, Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter, 3.06, Brake Performance drilled and slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys. From what I've seen I can't pull dtcs as the pcm is reseting itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    If so, there should be a DTC that indicates the PCM has been reset. I know my old F150 showed a P1000 code after it failed to start intermittenly. Disconnecting the battery, deleting the codes, or the PCM not powering up would throw that code. So, I replaced the PCM power relay and it fixed my truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you triple check all the grounds.
    I had a car that would do the same thing. Turned out it was a loose engine ground.
    Just something to think about.
    My 2 Ton Beast
    2007 Black 300 SRT8
    Procharged

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed coils and got a full 115 miles thinking it was fixed... Unfortunately it died 4 consecutive times 1 mile from work today and once when backing in the parking spot. Once again had a CEL but once it died all CEL and DTC are gone until I can get my drive cycles back in. Once I get it home I'll put it on the lift and check all the engine and chassis grounds. If all looks good I'll be ordering a PCM any recommendations on places that sell them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with my 06 Charger except sometimes mine would throw a pcm lost connection to tcm code. I got a pcm from Flagship One Inc 15,000 miles ago and so far so good.
    62 Chrysler Newport -- 68 Plymouth Barracuda -- 98 Dodge Neon Sport -- 98 Dodge Ram SS/T -- 2006 Dodge Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Pentastar 06
    How was your experience with them I was just on the phone with them but I've seen mixed reviews on quality and shipping times. I'm down to this or getting a salvage yard ecu and having my local dealer flash it

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a used PCM from an auto wrecker and the dealership wiped it and put my car info into it and its been good so far..about 2 months old

I think the build month or year of both pcms need to be close. So you can try calling auto wreckers.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far *knock on wood* my experience has been positive. It took about two weeks to get the pcm but they sent an email when it was being programmed with my vin and when it was shipped. When I was shopping around they had some positive comments in car forums and the price was right. I understand picking a reputable dealer is almost like choosing the lesser of two evils.
    Best of luck, I know how it feels to have a car not running right or not at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up a PCM off eBay with the VIN programmed in it when I had issues with mine. I don’t remember who the seller was but it was a good deal. I also had an issue with another PCM when I picked a 300c with a dropped valve seat. I got Jon (NYINSTALLER he used to work for DiabloSport) to program another vin for me with no issues. You can pick one up from a junkyard pretty cheap and have it programmed.