Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A/C clutch replacement

My Magnum has a hundred and forty Thousand Miles and needs a new air conditioning clutch has anyone replaced just the clutch what's involved?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    05' Magnum R/T HEMI Registry #889 CAI, JBA Ceramic shorties-CATless, MTCM, Predator , MDS, ESP, 3.06 Getrag swap, HALOS
    Aus liebe zum Automobile "Out of Love for the Automobile"

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that all Magnums use a Denso 10S17C A/C Compressor (but I'd check your year/trim level). I rebuilt my AC system last year and bought that whole Compressor.

Anyway, you can use that model number or "10S series" to look up videos on removal and replacement. Century Bob has great ones like this:

I did completely rebuild a couple Sanden compressors and basically the clutch and plate comes off after a nut, and a snap ring are removed. The Denso seems similar as described in this instruction manual:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jo...622_clutch.pdf
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-30-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    Dana

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (engine rebuilt and cammed at 102K 02/18 due to dropped valve seat flaw)
    2010 Camaro SS
    (Transformers Edition)

1981 DeLorean DMC-12
    Thanks agoristmike, beirutbob, 2010 300c thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    DMC-81,

Thank you for that link - while I don't have a Magnum, I think it's going to be very helpful if I have to replace the AC clutch on my 300. Doesn't seem as scary as I thought it would be!
    Brilliant Black 2010 300C, 5.7, AWD. Currently all stock except for lower intake silencer removal and home-made CAI, black plasti-dipped exterior trim and all interior lights replaced with LEDs, Intune i2. More mods when more $...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 300c View Post
    DMC-81,

Thank you for that link - while I don't have a Magnum, I think it's going to be very helpful if I have to replace the AC clutch on my 300. Doesn't seem as scary as I thought it would be!
    You are welcome! Glad it is helpful.

Yes, the A/C compressor is not that hard once you familiarize yourself with it. After learning on my DeLorean restoration, I decided to refresh the Magnum's A/C system after my compressor failed last summer. Since it wasn't a rare unit that had important date codes stamped on it, I just bought a new compressor, instead of rebuilding my old one, especially after 100,000 miles and 11 years of service. The aftermarket units were not that much cheaper than the original OEM Denso part on Amazon, so I went with it. After changing that, a new Denso expansion valve, drier, new O-ring kit and a carefully measured charge, the A/C in the Magnum works better than it ever has. I think it was not charged properly from the factory ( I'm the original owner of the car). Anyway, now I need to turn the A/C down as it gets too cold.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-03-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    All 05'-08' engines use the same compressor assembly:

55111418AB 1 C, D, E, F 48, 49 EG0 2 CLUTCH OVERHAUL KIT, A/C Compressor

there are differences with the pulley / hub kit that you will need to address with your VIN at the Parts Counter.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-03-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks Carpaltomo thanked for this post
    Likes Carpaltomo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thanks for the link and info

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone happen to have a source for the clutch kit? RockAuto is out of stock and my Google-fu seems to be lacking looking for the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Www. Eastcoastmoparts. Com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used them in the past, but lately have been getting parts from Tasca. Either way, they both have the coil, but hub assembly and clutch kit are discontinued. Guess I'm looking at a new compressor or heading to a local pull a part. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the middle of doing that right now. Replacing the clutch/coil/pulley I removed from a wrecking yard. Not that easy while the compressor is still on the car. I don't want to lose the freon. I'm still fighting to put the spring clip back on the coil part. Magnum with 6.1 in it. I jacked up the car, removed the driver front tire, fans, air box, buggied the hoses out of the way and still a f...ing bitch to get at. I'm determined to get it back on....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after turning,twisting just about every way possible, the only way I could get the clip/snap ring for the coil back in was move the steering pump out of the way. From under the car there was no way I could get the clip on because of the position of the compressor and no room to maneuver. With the pump moved, I was able to assembly the complete clutch/coil/hub with the compressor nose pointing up the best it would. After all said and done, it's a bitch to do but do-able. Now I have air cond. again.....yeah

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did this two weeks ago, the snap ring has a bevel on one side, maybe you had it facing the wrong way, were you using snap ring pliers? I didn’t have much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh believe me I know about the bevel. I used the orig. snap ring that was still good (no rust). I have a core v8 compressor that I used to make sure all the parts would fit without any problem before I put it on the compressor. A trial run I would say...

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I just tried my a/c. New Clutch did not engage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
    Lol I just tried my a/c. New Clutch did not engage.

Send voltage straight to it and see if it engages.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast