Post Thanks / Like

2007 Magnum sxt with brake light on

Started about 3 months ago the brake light comes on and off while driving. Never did stay on constantly, till today. Checked to make sure the parking brake lever wasn't setting it off. The travel to turn on the parking brake lever switch was far enough not to set it off. Brake fluid level is where it should be. Quick check of hoses to and from the brake booster seem ok. Switch itself on the brake booster I didn't get to check. Fluid also seems to be clean enough. So where/ what should I be looking at to find the problem? And there is NO check engine light on. Thanks for the time. P.S. brakes are all new about 6 months ago without this light coming on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a short in the tailgate harness or in the light itself. The only way you're going to know for sure is to pull the wing and remove the light to check for corroded contacts

2006 300SRT8
    SOLO Performance Mach X3 SRT exhaust / LMI V2 True CAI / Eibach Sways / StreetEdge coilovers / Trufiber hood / AMG paddles w/TRS300 wireless controller / Grant Revolution steering wheel / Arrington strut bar / BT engine bling incl. uni-strut caps / Rohana RC-10's / Kaption Audio amps, sub and speakers / Interior switch lighting by Diboblo / Instrument cluster by Black Cat Automotive and Tim Stone (TRS300) / StopTech SS brake lines

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean the brake light on the dash, or the brake lights on the back of the car?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant the brake light on the dash. Guess I should have stated that, sorry....
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Disconnect all of the items that can trigger the brake WARNING light one at a time until the problem stops. A switch or sensor could be intermittent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean the parking brake light on the dash? I notice mine is often on when I start the car and I have to pull the release handle to put the light out, even though the brake pedal is not depressed. Some time after I first got the car, drove off with the parking brake on because the chime isn't very loud and I didn't notice the light. When I stopped after 2-3 miles I could smell the brake shoes and they were toast. After replacing them and adjusting (a real PITA) I've always kept my eye on that light.
    2005 Magnum SXT 3.5L V6

Post Thanks / Like
    My parking brake pedal and brake light on dash are very sensitive on my car. If I barely brush the pedal with my foot while entering the car, it'll make the brake light light up after I turn the key, and I need to release it with the pull handle to make the light go off.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the parking brake pedal. As I said, pushing the parking pedal down won't trigger the light till it hits the switch to come on. It needs to travel a bit before the light comes on. Too much travel to trigger randomly. After looking at the fluid level, seems to be on the high side. Extracted brake fluid till it was at the MAX mark. So i'll keep an eye on that for now. What I will look at next would be the brake fluid pressure switch on the brake reservoir. And I may be in for a fluid flush. Brake fluid looks to be dirty... I'll keep the board posted...

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to pull the brake fluid reservoir off where the switch is. Seems my fluid is/was really dirty. Dirty to the point that the float switch in the reservoir would not move up or down any more. After a varsol bath 3-4 times, compressed air I could hear the switch moving inside the reservoir as it should. So just leaving it to completely dry overnight before I put it back on and start the bleeding....lol Will get back after to board..

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's been a while...none of what I did above changed the brake light on dash. The brake fluid needed to be changed big time regardless . After couple of months driving with it on, checked wiring to the pcm C1, Pin 10 which is the pos. (+). Was ok to the switch at the reservoir. Ground from the switch could not be found anywhere. Cut (-) neg. wire at switch, splice wire to ground...NO MORE BRAKE LIGHT ON THE DASH!!! Problem solved.